Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Madmen

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Default Madmen

The new season of Mad Men is about to start on Sky in the UK soon, not sure how far behind you guys we are.

But i was watching an old episode earlier on - i think being in advertising in the 60's in NY might be the best occupation in the history of mankind.

All they did was drink whisky, party, meet women and hold the occasional meeting - which invariably involved more drinking, partying and meeting more women.

Don Draper is a legend!

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Season 7 (the final season) begins tonight on AMC although they are splitting the season into two seven-episode halves with the other half being next spring. I really enjoy the series but it takes a glamorized look at the 60s. And, yes, if you look and talk like Don Draper, woman probably do throw themselves at you. Anyone who hasn't followed the show is best advised to get the DVDs and start at the beginning. The earlier seasons were better than the last one and, like most ensemble series, knowing the context makes the show better.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

never really watched the show. Just couldnt get into it.

What got you guys into it?

4. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Love Mad Men. Hopefully it'll finish strong. Bought some Canadian Club in honor of the occasion.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    never really watched the show. Just couldnt get into it.

What got you guys into it?
    I avoided it for the first 3 seasons as I thought it looked boring then I was flicking around one night and it was on - the scripting and character portrayal really impressed me and the fact it is so chauvinistic and not pc - I think they have a good and accurate portrayal of a culture very different to our own but only 50 years in the past.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The portrayal of the early 60s was spot on in terms of look, fashion and behavior. I loved how they casually inserted scenes of the children doing the things we did back then that today would have CPS agents at your doorstep ready to take away your child the next day. Yes, little kids ran around wearing the clear plastic bags the dry cleaning returned in. We tumbled from the front seat to the back seat and back again while the car was in motion - child seats having not been invented much less made into law and the simple clasp seat belts were not common. Parents sometimes taught little kids how to make them mixed drinks and bring them to the reclining adults. My dad gave me my first beer when I was a second-grader.

And nobody gave any of this much of a thought either.

Racial attitudes were best summed up by an elderly white woman at the office expressing her disinterest in the upcoming Clay-Liston heavyweight bout: "If I wanted to watch two n------s fight, all I have to do is toss a dollar out my back window."

Homosexuals were treated with disgust and derision.

And cigarette smoke was inescapable.

8. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

is anyone else finding the second half of season 7 difficult to follow?

Who the fuk is that waitress and why have they randomly jumped so far into the future mid season without explaining what happened in between?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Have begun the second half yet but sounds like it could be a problem going by what you have said. Maybe Missy will understand everything as she was a bigger fan of the show than i am.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I love the show, but i feel like a missed an episode somewhere that explained it all

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The first episode of the last 7 was okay. It's 1970 now. I don't care for the waitress either except maybe Don is secretly wishing to connect with his whore mother. Meanwhile, Megan and Megan's mom are cleaning Don out and the one-night stands are starting to bore him. A few loose ends are starting to be tied together (whatever happened to...).

A theory developed on the internet that Don finds himself at the end of the road - estranged from family, estranged from his career and re-invents himself one more time as famed hijacker D.B. Cooper, disappearing into the night air never to be seen again. It would be a cool ending but I don't think this is how the show will end.

I watched 4 or 5 episodes during the marathon AMC had prior to the last episode. The show was intriguing, but I decided I didn't like it because I couldn't stand the main character. He was a genuine A-hole. It's hard for me to get into a show if I don't like the main character. This guy was nothing but an aged frat boy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I watched 4 or 5 episodes during the marathon AMC had prior to the last episode. The show was intriguing, but I decided I didn't like it because I couldn't stand the main character. He was a genuine A-hole. It's hard for me to get into a show if I don't like the main character. This guy was nothing but an aged frat boy.
    The funny thing is they are all whores to some degree, even the women in the show. But, if you can get by all the free love its actually pretty entertaining although i i didnt care much for the final episode.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post

The funny thing is they are all whores to some degree, even the women in the show. But, if you can get by all the free love its actually pretty entertaining although i i didnt care much for the final episode.
    I like how Don is clearly an ass - but managed to get people to like him.

I know lots of successful ass's that are popular

I felt he was believable

16. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post

I felt he was believable
    I felt he was believeable as well. That's probably why I disliked him so much. The more I watched it the more I wanted to hurt him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post

I felt he was believable

Oh, i liked Don's character a lot. I also liked the other guy who ended up with Megan's mother at the end. He was hilarious throughout.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information