Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New to MLB

Baseball is not my favorite sport, but it's probably my favorite sporting event to watch live....unless it's our local minor league team. Those metal bleachers in the evening sun are brutal.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Baseball is not my favorite sport, but it's probably my favorite sporting event to watch live....unless it's our local minor league team. Those metal bleachers in the evening sun are brutal.
    Great statement. I actually enjoy going to a Rockies game more than a Broncos game.

Not being sacrilegious - just that football is so fast, it's almost better to watch on TV than in person. Not too much beats sitting at Coors Field.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Has to be the Red Sox then
    Only a short hop over the pond.

Just don't do the Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Don't immediately be a doucher Dave. Don't do it. Sox fans are THE WORST. Well, after Yankees fans.
    Dont listen to them Dave - watch the Yankees - best team EVER - Plus you have to love the name, right
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I think baseball relates a lot to soccer...if we're putting it in terms he can understand. Soccer isnt a big favorite in the US mostly due to low scoring and lack of physical injury. But soccer is very much a mental game as much as it is physical. It's a chess match and very calculated. Baseball is the same and is so on every pitch. The mental aspect of the batter trying to figure out what pitch is coming and where and what approach to take based on the situation. 2 outs? 0 outs? runners on? The defense is the same way. Shift on? playing? playing deep? Pitcher is throwing a change up this pitch, so should I play for a pulled ball?

Every single pitch is a chess match in itself and I think that is part of the majesty of the game. Those that can be successful and win that match up 3 time out of 10 are considered great. That in and of itself says a lot. I could go on and on, but I'll try to leave it summed up with that for now.
    Excellent points, I was going to bring up the soccer comparison as well.

I will also add that having the sport in your home town helps A LOT as it creates a sense of community. My first time seeing the Rockies at the old Mile High got me hooked on baseball because as MO pointed out earlier its a game that you can pay as much or as little attention to as you want. I love going to Coors Field just for people watching, and more times than not I see some good games despite the woeful Rockies record the last few years. I automatically root for the home teams so I can go to every sporting event in town and have a great time. I never pass up a chance to see my local teams live, but the only one I have a laser focus on while at the game is the Broncos.

Thanks to my friend from Manchester who just flat out misses soccer, I also see a ton of Rapids games every year and have really started to like it. The atmosphere is different at each event, but come playoff time you can't help but feel just as invested as you would a Broncos game (well... almost). Aside from Football for me which I could watch by myself all day, most sporting events are very social experiences for me. I love going to games or watching them with hardcore fans in front of a TV even if my passion for each game is not on the same level as those around me.

7. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Great statement. I actually enjoy going to a Rockies game more than a Broncos game.

Not being sacrilegious - just that football is so fast, it's almost better to watch on TV than in person. Not too much beats sitting at Coors Field.
    The weird thing to me is that being at a Broncos game the time just flies by. I think it may be because you don't have the rhythms or the stops you get with commercial breaks after scores, but the time leading up to the game I sit waiting for it to start seems like a fraction of the actual game. I treasure every Bronco game I've ever been to, but the presentation at home on TV is much better as far as keeping track of things.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    Dont listen to them Dave - watch the Yankees - best team EVER - Plus you have to love the name, right
    Dave. This is an example of what you don't want to be. A Yankees fan.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

The Yankees organization is the epitomy of everything that is wrong with the game of baseball

12. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Great replies guys - cheers. I will check out that documentary.

The Blue Jays are a good shout as there is a small chance i might be moving to Canada in a few years - I have narrowed it down to between them and the Rockies. Definitely no Red Sox or Yankees!!!!

I was at both Wembely games last year and they both passed in the blink of an eye - all three games have sold out this year (i have tickets for all three!!) but i very much doubt there is a market for even one baseball game in the UK - its a shame as it sounds like it is a real event worth going to.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post

Yeah, baseball parks are aesthetically pleasing. I had a great time in Pittsburgh the last time I was there. The way the grass is groomed, plus the view of downtown Pittsburgh from the outfield. It was a great time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Haters Dave - they are all haters
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

16. The Following User High Fived OB For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    I think the royals are a no go.

Although I am British I am against the monarchy therefore the name puts me off and makes me want to cheer for whoever they are playing!
    root for the patriots, they were English Rebels

I do like the Chicago white sox.

Go Rocks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    I have been an NFL fan as long as i can remember - i was pretty much an instant fan.

But - no matter how hard i try to watch Baseball, i always end up turning it over. It just seems so slow, there seems to be about 5 pitches before one counts and another 10 before the batter hits one.

Now i realize (i used that z - just for you guys!) that all these millions of baseball fan can not be wrong, so i am clearly missing something.

What is it about baseball that is so exciting? What am i missing?
    Each pitch is a game within a game. The level of strategy that's involved at the MLB level is easy to overlook as a casual fan - and given the high failure rate for hitters, it can seem tedious or laborious. (e.g., If a hitter succeeds in getting a hit 3 out of 10 times then they are an above-average hitter).

You've really got to understand the basics and then you can start to appreciate more of the strategy that goes into making the game so interesting. There are so many layers.

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Unless you want to hate life as a baseball fan, don't pull for the Royals.
    is that mo's team? I would have loved to have been childhood friends with mo for some reason, that would have been a fargin gas. being an O's fan is pretty rough too I am learning.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information