Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New to MLB

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I know a girl you should date, Mo. She is single and a massive Royals fan. She's more into the Royals than most guys I know are into their favorite sports teams.
    I'm guessing she doesn't live anywhere near me.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I'm guessing she doesn't live anywhere near me.
    She lives in Houston now but is moving to Denver next month. So if you ever want to move to the motherland, there could be someone there for you!

The only (team) sports I care about are football and baseball, and I'd say it's weighted heavily to football. That being said, there's something I love about baseball and the whole baseball season. A hot summer day, drinking a beer with my buddy at the ballpark and watching a game. Or an evening around 8:30, kids asleep, sun just going down, tuning in to check out my team. Hard to explain and I'd say hard to get into unless it's been a part of the fabric of your life (which it has for me since I was a kid - my mom is a huge baseball - and Mets - fan, and that's what I can remember from my childhood). Football is an event every week, whereas baseball sort of unfolds in long, sweeping arcs over the course of many months.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sly Williams

I'd agree with those saying you must go to a game to really appreciate baseball. It's a summer sport and the whole experience needs to be taken in. I've never been to a game outside of southern california and never to a post season game so for me it's warm weather clothes and a cold beer. Very mellow and fun.

6. The Following User High Fived SoCalImport For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I think the royals are a no go.

Although I am British I am against the monarchy therefore the name puts me off and makes me want to cheer for whoever they are playing!

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    I think the royals are a no go.

Although I am British I am against the monarchy therefore the name puts me off and makes me want to cheer for whoever they are playing!
    Has to be the Red Sox then
    Only a short hop over the pond.

Just don't do the Yankees!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Has to be the Red Sox then
    Only a short hop over the pond.

Just don't do the Yankees!
    Don't immediately be a doucher Dave. Don't do it. Sox fans are THE WORST. Well, after Yankees fans.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I feel like the Blue Jays should be your team.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

If you didn't grow up with baseball, it's a "difficult" sport to get into later in life. I don't know anyone that doesn't like to play - even just grabbing a ball and glove - and I thoroughly enjoyed coaching my son's team for 6 years. It's just not a sport I can get into watching on TV. Going to a game is fantastic, but it is most definitely not a "made-for-TV" sport. For me, anyway.

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I was never a big baseball fan growing up and I only played one season of rec ball but I have become a huge baseball fan as I've gotten older. I'm as much a baseball fan now as I am a football fan. I watch at least parts of close to 100 Rockies games a year. I love the late games when I can settle on the couch after all the days doings are done and watch the last 3 or 4 innings of the game.

And sports don't get much better than postseason baseball.

If you want to try to get into baseball watch some of Ken Burns' epic documentary titled "Baseball" it's one of my favorite things to watch. The old stories are phenomenal. If anything can spark a love for the game it's those old stories wonderfully told in that documentary.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    None taken.

I like cricket which is equally as slow and no where near as glamorous. I don't know what it is about baseball that stops me enjoying it - i will try again this season!
    I follow the Orioles, just started this spring. I wear an Orioles cap in fact. the thing I like about baseball (watching it on tv, is that you can see the players' faces, their consternation, their frustration, etc. focusing in on the pitchers performace can be pretty enjoyable for me too. I mean these guys are throwing some fast balls repetitively, you have sinkers, the fast balls, sliders, the yankee doodle, crotch rockets, zippers, zippity do da's, screaming orgasms, ....the list goes on on what a pitcher might throw. One thing about baseball is that it is indeed a slow game, but when it' s fast, it's fast. great athleticism/skill required. I like the kinda lazy hanging out watching the game thing too. Like I was painting while the Oriole game was on yesterday, like listening to the radio and getting other things done. and if I'm not doing something active like that while the game is on, I can swat flies, spit chewing tabacky, fart, scratch my balls, pet the dog, etc. ... each individually, are all at the same time. I can't do that with football, I think most can relate to that. that's my take on your observations anyway
    Last edited by BroncoNut; 04-14-2014 at 10:03 AM.

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I was never a big baseball fan growing up and I only played one season of rec ball but I have become a huge baseball fan as I've gotten older. I'm as much a baseball fan now as I am a football fan. I watch at least parts of close to 100 Rockies games a year. I love the late games when I can settle on the couch after all the days doings are done and watch the last 3 or 4 innings of the game.

And sports don't get much better than postseason baseball.

If you want to try to get into baseball watch some of Ken Burns' epic documentary titled "Baseball" it's one of my favorite things to watch. The old stories are phenomenal. If anything can spark a love for the game it's those old stories wonderfully told in that documentary.
    Ken Burns' documentary is a favourite of mine, as well. It's also streaming on Netflix, last I checked.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Hey nut, how does one throw a "screaming orgasm?"

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Hey nut, how does one throw a "screaming orgasm?"
    it's a 2 stitch handle, the rest is strength and accuracy, I guess, I've never thrown one that I'm aware of

Adopted Bronco:

I think baseball relates a lot to soccer...if we're putting it in terms he can understand. Soccer isnt a big favorite in the US mostly due to low scoring and lack of physical injury. But soccer is very much a mental game as much as it is physical. It's a chess match and very calculated. Baseball is the same and is so on every pitch. The mental aspect of the batter trying to figure out what pitch is coming and where and what approach to take based on the situation. 2 outs? 0 outs? runners on? The defense is the same way. Shift on? playing? playing deep? Pitcher is throwing a change up this pitch, so should I play for a pulled ball?

Every single pitch is a chess match in itself and I think that is part of the majesty of the game. Those that can be successful and win that match up 3 time out of 10 are considered great. That in and of itself says a lot. I could go on and on, but I'll try to leave it summed up with that for now.

24. The Following 6 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information