Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stabbing at PA High School

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Turn on the TV and all you see is violence on every channel, every show. Violent video games. Boxing is about dead because it isnt violent enough. We are a nation in love with violent entertainment and begging for more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Boxing should just become Mortal Kombat. Been waiting for a Kano vs Sonya Blade rematch

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Turn on the TV and all you see is violence on every channel, every show. Violent video games. Boxing is about dead because it isnt violent enough. We are a nation in love with violent entertainment and begging for more.
    I guess that could be possible. I don't know. Violence on TV or on a game has never made me violent. Playing Farmville never made me want to farm. Maybe I'm just an exceptional human being.

4. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    I guess that could be possible. I don't know. Violence on TV or on a game has never made me violent. Playing Farmville never made me want to farm. Maybe I'm just an exceptional human being.
    Normal people can handle it. But kids with dark deviant minds watch it and then dream about acting it out. For ever kid that goes on a slashing spree, there are possibly thousands who were thinking about it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

The brain gets programmed through repetition. So what in the hell was this kids brain focusing on leading up to this incident? I doubt he was thinking about football. That, and if he was on any medication that can trigger off those deviant homicidal/suicidal parts of an already messed up brain.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Damn guns!
    what would the killed to injured ratio be if he had a gun? I am sure it would be a lot greater than 0:22

8. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I don't understand how someone can hurt 22 people with a knife without someone at least tackling him. Especially a scrawny teenager.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

And what would you say about the astronomical gun violence statistics in America compared to other developed nations? How does your theory account for those?
    Good question - the US is different from every other country in that you are only a new country, developed by immigrants who were seeking a new life and wealth. Since the birth of your nation, guns were needed for protection either to fight off native americans, those pesky Brits or other people also looking for a piece of your american dream (and a bunch of cattle or piece of land). As guns evolved with your country so did the gun culture.

Now if you are asking about astronomical gun deaths in gang land killings - new gun laws would not stop this (these people are by definition criminals and would not abide by the laws) if however you are asking about the astronomical amount of lone teenage gunmen - that is an issue that is rooted in the individuals warped mind, would gun laws stop these deaths - probably yes.....but the individual should still be held accountable and so should the society that over medicates and does not address these peoples behaviour/psychological needs earlier.

Finally if you are refering to your countries high spouse death at the hands of guns - that is also potentially remedied by gun laws, but again the cause of this runs much deeper - this is to do with male hegemony and how this is perpetuated by a number of things including religion.

Other countries like Finland have relatively relaxed gun laws and heavy gun ownership but no crime, why - their culture is different, the peoples beliefs system is different and (i believe somewhat controversially, they dont have literal bible believers who think earthquakes are caused by homosexuals spreading poison about how society is damned).

So, in summary, do i have all the answers - NO, is my opinion right, probably not, BUT, will gun laws solve the US problem with gun crime - NO.

I need to go to work and have not read this back, so i hope it makes sense of my opinion.

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Read it back now. It makes no sense. Lol

I guess what I mean is correlation does not equal causation.

I would look at other counties with relaxed gun laws but low crime and eye what other factors influence the crime rate.

Yes, that Definately makes more sense (to me at least)

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

You made some excellent points Dave. It is a problem unique to our society/culture because the culture we have developed is like no other in the world. Lately, Im not sure how good of a thing that is -
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived OB For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    Read it back now. It makes no sense. Lol

I guess what I mean is correlation does not equal causation.

I would look at other counties with relaxed gun laws but low crime and eye what other factors influence the crime rate.

Yes, that Definately makes more sense (to me at least)
    Switzerland is another example. All military aged men are required by law to maintain a semi auto rifle in their home with a supply of ammo. In addition, the U.S. murder rate is pretty comparable with Europe apart from a comparatively small subset of urban areas. Interestingly, a Quinnipiac college study indicated that the more restrictive a state's gun laws were the higher their murder rate.

The purpose of the present study is to determine the effects of state-level assault
    weapons bans and concealed weapons laws on state-level murder rates. Using
    data for the period 1980 to 2009 and controlling for state and year fixed effects,
    the results of the present study suggest that states with restrictions on the carrying
    of concealed weapons had higher gun-related murder rates than other states. It
    was also found that assault weapons bans did not significantly affect murder rates
    at the state level. These results suggest that restrictive concealed weapons laws
    may cause an increase in gun-related murders at the state level. The results of this
    study are consistent with some prior research in this area, most notably Lott and
    Mustard (1997).
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/1...51.2013.854294

Equating murders with religious observance? Really? That was simply absurd.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

17. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

And what would you say about the astronomical gun violence statistics in America compared to other developed nations? How does your theory account for those?
    I would say you need to quantify the word astronomical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I would say you need to quantify the word astronomical.
    It's quantified in a graph I posted in the gun control thread.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/...ublic-unaware/

Interesting read
    In 2010, there were 3.6 gun homicides per 100,000 people, compared with 7.0 in 1993, according to CDC data.

In 2010, CDC data counted 11,078 gun homicide deaths, compared with 18,253 in 1993.5
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

21. The Following User High Fived OB For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    The NRA will be pleased.....finally an incident where they will not be demonised.

Your second amendment is a really point of interest for me and many non-americans. I think this is a good example of how it is not the weapon that is important, it is the beliefs and behaviours of an individual that needs to be addressed.
    true, but it doesn't make the NKA look too good

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information