Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: A McDaniels Recap

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I'm still shocked at how bad the 2009 draft class was as a whole.
    No. There was plenty of talent that he passed on in the 2009 draft.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 04-17-2014 at 05:32 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Josh McDaniel's drafts were so bad Al Davis was embarrassed.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Hates Shanatan and loves Tim Tebow, luckyseven is Jrwiz.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    No. There was plenty talent that he passed on the 2009 draft.
    Brian Orakpo and Clay Matthews would have been pretty good picks for any team. And the Broncos could and should have had both.

8. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Brian Orakpo and Clay Matthews would have been pretty good picks for any team. And the Broncos could and should have had both.
    It's actually possible that Denver could have drafted Orakpo, Matthews, McCoy and Bird. In reality I don't think they could have pulled that off and gotten all four but they could have had at least two if not three of the four.

10. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    Josh's first draft, as stated earlier: The reason McDaniels's first draft is so bad is that he used 3 first round picks and 2 second rounders to add: - a running back with one good year - his last one with us - a rotational DE who kept getting benched by his coach - a worthless CB cut within the year - a worthless safety - a worthless blocking TE (!?) We took 5 of the top 64 players and ended up with practically nothing. And Josh did that after firing his draft experts and VP of football operations for disagreeing with him. In Shanahan's years we were always back-end drafting, in the 20s of every draft, and sometimes didn't have a first-rounder at all. He was terrible at drafting - until promoting those same Goodmans to the FO that McDaniels fired - but he rarely had as much capital to squander as Josh did that first year. Here's some guys we missed: #13 Orakpo #15 Cushing #19 Maclin #21 Mack #22 Harvin #23 Oher #26 Clay Matthews #29 Hakeen Nicks #34 Patrick Chung #35 Laurinaitis #42 Jairus Byrd #49 Max Unger #53 Shady McCoy #54 Loadholt #55 William Moore And that ain't even all the starters or useful players in the top 60. We got none of em. They even had them at positions of need, like S or pass-rusher. If the 2009 draft was barren, I might have some forgiveness. But blowing that many top picks, after you have the arrogance to get into a fight with your QB and other FO personnel and fire all of em, kinda mitigates my ability to forgive. Yes, Shanahan was a worthless drafter for most of his GM tenure, but he could coach his way out of that deficit to achieve at least respectability. McDaniels couldn't, and lost a team about as fast as I've seen anyone lose a winning organization. That's on him. ~G
    Ugh, that draft-miss-list makes me want to throw up. That's just misery there...
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Aisle.

And the other options that year were basically McDaniels, Frazier and Spagnuolo. So I don't think we can say that Elway wouldn't hire him.
    Well, Rex Ryan was an option too, was my second choice behind Spagnuolo because I felt that the obvious choice was a defensive minded HC. I honestly couldn't think of a better HC for Cutler and that offense than Ryan because there wasn't any reason to scrap the offensive coaching staff and Ryan had the clout to handle Cutler and Marshall.

Schwartz was given a chance that year too.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Overall in hindsight Bowlen picked the wrong year to shitcan Shanahan.

There were basically no good coaching options available.

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    Overall in hindsight Bowlen picked the wrong year to shitcan Shanahan.

There were basically no good coaching options available.
    I think it was a reactive emotional move. That Chargers game was brutal. I understand it, but I never liked it.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I think it was a reactive emotional move. That Chargers game was brutal. I understand it, but I never liked it.
    Denver never had a chance against that Chargers team. The two losses prior setting up the showdown ended that season.

Really the utterly gutless "win and get in" loss to a 49ers team with nothing to play for a year earlier was just as bad to me or worse.

Bowlen probably couldn't fire Shanahan after that even if he was considering it that season with the shooting thereafter. But that team had just zero heart and that was an inexcusable effort. I really hated that loss.
    Last edited by tomjonesrocks; 04-13-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Dude was so effing bad..... But then his coaching record spoke for itself.
    Ragnar is a badass and he needs a bath.

20. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    Denver never had a chance against that Chargers team. The two losses prior setting up the showdown ended that season.

Really the utterly gutless "win and get in" loss to a 49ers team with nothing to play for a year earlier was just as bad to me or worse.

Bowlen probably couldn't fire Shanahan after that even if he was considering it that season with the shooting thereafter. But that team had just zero heart and that was an inexcusable effort. I really hated that loss.
    Someone on the South Stands Denver Fancast did an article about the Darrent Williams situation. He thinks that Shanahan would have been fired if no Bronco players died on the night of Dec. 31, 2006.

I don't know if that's true, but if it was, I wonder who would have been our coach.

Ken Whisehunt?

Mike Tomlin?

Mike Singletary?

It's hard to say.

I do know this: It was too late/early to fire Shanny by the end of 08. It was too late because he didn't fire him a year or two earlier, and that offense was starting to morph into a juggernaut, and it was too early because Mike started to draft higher character players in his last year there. He should have gotten one more year down this new path, playoffs or not.

22. The Following User High Fived 7DnBrnc53 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
    Someone on the South Stands Denver Fancast did an article about the Darrent Williams situation. He thinks that Shanahan would have been fired if no Bronco players died on the night of Dec. 31, 2006.

I don't know if that's true, but if it was, I wonder who would have been our coach.

Ken Whisehunt?

Mike Tomlin?

Mike Singletary?

It's hard to say.

I do know this: It was too late/early to fire Shanny by the end of 08. It was too late because he didn't fire him a year or two earlier, and that offense was starting to morph into a juggernaut, and it was too early because Mike started to draft higher character players in his last year there. He should have gotten one more year down this new path, playoffs or not.
    I doubt that's true. There was one game left in the season and Denver stiill had a chance to make the playoffs. That would go against Bowlen's history. The other two head coaches that he fired got to finish out the season before they were fired. McDaniels is only the head coach fired under Bowlen's ownship before the season had ended.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 04-17-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Shanatan shoulda been fired in 04-05 or not at all, he really started to improve his personnel decisions towards the end. Legitimate OL, a franchise QB, actual WR's, all he needed to do was improve the defense.

To be honest, he should have been long before 05, or at least had personnel decisions taken away.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

25. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Shanatan shoulda been fired in 04-05 or not at all, he really started to improve his personnel decisions towards the end. Legitimate OL, a franchise QB, actual WR's, all he needed to do was improve the defense.

To be honest, he should have been long before 05, or at least had personnel decisions taken away.
    I remember the guy who runs the Sports E-cyclopedia, and in his 05 picks, he said that the Broncos would do bad, and that Shanny would be canned at season's end.

They played terrible in Week 1 against Miami, and were down 14-3 at the half in Week 2 against San Diego.

Then, Champ makes a big INT return for a TD, and everything changes.

If they didn't win that game, though, and if they would had the season that they had in 06 in 05, Shanny may have gotten tossed.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information