Thread: Family Jewels

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Default Family Jewels

I recently had a family reunion. Met all of my east coast people.

My Grandmother is from the Hull Family. Turns out I'm the GrGrGrGrgrandson of Commodore Isaac Hull of the USS Constitution during the war of 1812. Pretty groovy, eh?

Here's a picture of Grandad and his posse kicking some Limey ass. Yes, he's the short fat guy in the middle not doing anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	352_2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	4579

So any other BF folks with rumored pedigree?
    Last edited by Softskull; 04-05-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Rumored? Yeah. I'm still trying to check everything though. I got a lot of stuff from ancestry dot com, I just want supporting documents.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Softskull View Post
    I recently had a family reunion. Met all of my east coast people.

My Grandmother is from the Hull Family. Turns out I'm the GrGrGrGrgrandson of Commodore Isaac Hull of the USS Constitution during the war of 1812. Pretty groovy, eh?

Here's a picture of Grandad and his posse kicking some Limey ass. Yes, he's the short fat guy in the middle not doing anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	352_2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	4579

So any other BF folks with rumored pedigree?
    I'll check some prison records and get back to you.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I had a great great grandfather who was captured in the ACW by Nathan Bedford Forrest. He spent his 18th Birthday in Andersonville. He was an ambulance driver with the Army of the Cumberland. I have his diary around here somewhere.

After the war he had 14 children, so many that the last two (13 and 14) were sent to an orphanage. Great great grandpappy got a job as a paymaster for a railroad and disappeared on a trip out west. Family story is that he was probably robbed and murdered. I won't rule out the possibility that he absconded with the dough and ditched his enormous brood. His son from the orphanage was my great grandfather, who sailed on the White Fleet in 1907. I met him as a very little boy. He scared me, because I had never seen anyone so wrinkly. He was also a mean old drunk who disappeared regularly when he forgot he didn't live in Bridgeport CT any longer (by then he lived with my Mom's parents in Springfield VT.). The family would get a call from the authorities eventually, from places as far afield as Boston and Baltimore. He woud just hop a train and go.

The only other line we have solid info on involved what looks like a scandal in Sweden in the 1870's. My great great Grandmother was a housemaid on a farm in Narike - a western province, and apparently the Arkansas of Sweden, and where almost half of U.S. immigrants came from. We know she had an illegitimate child, because in 1872 she shows up on a list in Goteberg to sail with her son, and in 19th Century Sweden women with illegitimate kids had a symbol affixed to their name by law. We know she didn't sail, because she shows up on a similar list in 1876, now married (which removed the symbol), with a husband, and they did in fact sail for NYC. The hubby was the farm handyman, so our guess is that she told him if he didn't make an honest woman of her she was going to America. He obviously did what he needed to do.

Once in America they ditched their original very plebian Swedish last name for a very aristocratic Swedish name. Basically putting on airs. That is my last name now, though I suppose it shouldn't be!
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 04-05-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

General Forrest is one of my favorite Civil War generals, sorry he captured your kin. Andersonville was horrific.

In researching my Hull family, it turns out his Uncle/adopted father was the General that surrendered Detroit to the Brits. We don't talk about Uncle Bill all that much.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

9. The Following User High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Don't have much of a story to it but Edgar Allan Poe was my great (I forget how many times) uncle.

I maintain that it explains a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

11. The Following 6 Users High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

My great great great grandfather's little brother died in Andersonville Prison. He was only 16.

Somewhere on my mother's side I'm related to the Dalton Gang.

Those two things I know for sure.

According to Ancestry, I'm related to John Renta Baker, Robert Baker, and Robert Bullock. John was a Colonel in the Revolutionary War. Robert was his grandfather, I think. Robert was the first to make the Long Rifle, also known as the Kentucky Rifle or Pennsylvania Rifle. Bullock was some relation to Pocahontas, George Bush, and John McCain.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

I am related to Jose Oquendo for you baseball buffs, and Fres Oquendo who was a heavyweight boxer.

My great...................grandfather was an admiral in the Spanish Armada.

But all this comes from my dad who said we were royalty when the moors ruled Spain, and the later on became one of the largest Spanish Mafia Organizations in Spain before we were run out if the country.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived olathebroncofan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

My grandpa was a pilot and Luftwaffe hunter in WWII. He shot down 6 Nazis in his tour.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Granpa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140406_121446.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	4587  
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

19. The Following 6 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

One thing I feel I've learned from genealogy research is that damn near every man is a hero. To go through the heartache of losing several children, still keep your sanity, and work your entire life to support your family. That stuff has always been impressive to me. If I lost my little girls I think I would shut down. It was a different breed of men back then.

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by olathebroncofan View Post
    I am related to Jose Oquendo for you baseball buffs, and Fres Oquendo who was a heavyweight boxer.

My great...................grandfather was an admiral in the Spanish Armada.

But all this comes from my dad who said we were royalty when the moors ruled Spain, and the later on became one of the largest Spanish Mafia Organizations in Spain before we were run out if the country.
    It's Moops.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information