Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bread - I love Bread

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

I have not. But you have peaked my (p)interest - hahahaha I may start some this weekend

Bottom recipe looks better, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    I have not. But you have peaked my (p)interest - hahahaha I may start some this weekend

Bottom recipe looks better, IMHO.
    there is nothing like a good crisp sourdough loaf of bread for sandwiches or better yet a SD bread bowl with a good thick soup in it, with Chili or clam chowder being at the top of that list.

4. The Following User High Fived luckyseven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

i love super pretzels with cheese. Could not exist on this world without them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    i love super pretzels with cheese. Could not exist on this world without them.
    ever try them with a good mustard?

7. The Following User High Fived luckyseven For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luckyseven View Post
    ever try them with a good mustard?
    I make a mean mustard

9. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

The first item I cut completely when I started my diet was bread. Haven't had any for a few weeks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    The first item I cut completely when I started my diet was bread. Haven't had any for a few weeks.
    You are dead to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I would never partake in a diet that eliminates bread.

Of course, I've never been an out-of-shape fatass either.

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Jalapeņo Bread from Great Harvest here in Anchorage......c'est bon!

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Bread the band sucks. The food however is awesome.
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I've been making bread lately. This is my latest and best. It's a country blond with about 10% whole wheat, my levain is a bit more sour from the use of spelt, and this time I used a hybrid ferment (I used quick rise yeast for 5 hrs just prior to baking after the natural pre-ferment from my starter).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hybrid 1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	18049
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

17. The Following 5 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Made a fougasse a couple weekends ago. Just a bit of whole wheat for flavor, and then brushed with olive oil, rosemary and kosher salt before baking.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Ok, made a sourdough loaf and some 100% whole wheat baguettes for my sister and brother in law yesterday (about the only bread he it's now is 100% whole wheat). Both of them were started Wed night, and the whole wheat fermented in fridge, and the sourdough in oven with light on.

I lost my starter a month or so ago. First failed to feed for a week or so, and then found dead gnats in the liquid on top, so tossed and started over a few weeks ago. I hadn't made a sourdough loaf in several months, so got bad about continuing to feed it. I had taken it out of fridge with intention of making a loaf, but never did, and then poof neglected it and found gnats in it.

So, I made a loaf for her a week or so ago, but since the starter was new, cheated with about 1/2 teaspoon of instant yeast. Then, yesterday, I made her a loaf with no added yeast. It didn't look to me like it rose as much as it should have, and she just sent me a picture today after she cut into it, and while it has a few big bubbles, it's definitely not as airy as past loaves I've made and looks like plenty of dense areas.

Any sourdough gurus out there? Seems to me it's probably one of three things;

1. My starter still isn't ready for prime time. I don't think this is the case, as the feeding before using it, it more than tripled and oozed out top of mason jar.
    2. I waited too long after feeding it, and it was past the point of being most active
    3. I didn't let it rise long enough overnight, or maybe the house was too cold (why I had it in oven with lights on).

Any tips?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information