Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed rule changes

Default Proposed rule changes

I didn't see this anywhere else, here are proposed rule changes for this season.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On Wednesday, the NFL Competition Committee held a conference call to discuss potential rule changes that will see a vote next week at the owners meetings.
    In all, there were 13 rule changes, seven bylaws and one resolution proposed.
    Independent analyst Andrew Mason gave his take on many of the proposals
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...5-8711df0bf0b1

See the article to see the changes.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

i propose that someone punch goodell in the throat. . . hard enough to do some serious damage. . .

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I like the idea to make the goal posts higher... And cameras on boundaries.

Hate the kickoff rule change proposals.

6. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I like the idea to make the goal posts higher... And cameras on boundaries.

Hate the kickoff rule change proposals.
    Agreed on both of these. I also like the potential IR change.

8. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

PI within one yard. FFS...

And the retractable dome rule is dumb. There are three in the league, right, Houston, Phoenix and Indianapolis?

So you give three teams a gamesmanship advantage?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Not being able to bump WR's off the line will effectively kill every good defense and make it an entirely different sport of which all previous records will be irrelevant. That's the most egregious rule proposal of all of them.
    The NFL has already ruined defense enough. They don't need to go after line of scrimmage play on top of it.

Hopefully the owners shut this down so it doesn't kill football.

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived BobaFett For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by BobaFett View Post
    Not being able to bump WR's off the line will effectively kill every good defense and make it an entirely different sport of which all previous records will be irrelevant. That's the most egregious rule proposal of all of them.
    The NFL has already ruined defense enough. They don't need to go after line of scrimmage play on top of it.

Hopefully the owners shut this down so it doesn't kill football.
    Holy crap I love your username and pic.

13. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Kickoffs from the 40? RUF'ing kidding me? Why bother? Just place the ball at the 20. Jiminy Christmas, they are trying to change it to arena league.

15. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I would say wait until any of these rules actually pass before you guys get your panties too wadded up over them. These are nothing more than proposals at this point.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I would say wait until any of these rules actually pass before you guys get your panties too wadded up over them. These are nothing more than proposals at this point.
    My panties are in no such wad. I think it's a legitimate complaint that they are considering ridiculous rules, much less making them rules (which in some cases they are doing).
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    My panties are in no such wad. I think it's a legitimate complaint that they are considering ridiculous rules, much less making them rules (which in some cases they are doing).
    I just think it's silly to get outraged over something that hasn't even happened yet. It's not like the NFL that submitted these proposals, it's owners of particular teams. It just takes one owner to propose one of these rule changes and it can get brought up for a vote. So forgive me for not being outraged over one owner having a crazy idea that probably won't pass anyway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I just think it's silly to get outraged over something that hasn't even happened yet. It's not like the NFL that submitted these proposals, it's owners of particular teams. It just takes one owner to propose one of these rule changes and it can get brought up for a vote. So forgive me for not being outraged over one owner having a crazy idea that probably won't pass anyway.
    OK, Nancy Pelosi.

Look, I'm not saying that my message on a random Broncos board is ever going to sway anything, but if no one says anything before they vote, then the stupid rule passes. It's absolutely necessary that people speak up about proposed rules they don't like, even if it is on some fans-only website.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    OK, Nancy Pelosi.

Look, I'm not saying that my message on a random Broncos board is ever going to sway anything, but if no one says anything before they vote, then the stupid rule passes. It's absolutely necessary that people speak up about proposed rules they don't like, even if it is on some fans-only website.
    I don't really think any of them are that horrible. The kickoff one is kinda silly as it would make the kickoff pointless, but honestly it's heading in that direction anyway with the safety concerns, so it's more of a when than if.

The 1-yard PI one is probably unnecessary too as it would give the offense even more help, but I don't really see that one passing.

The retractable roof one? Meh, don't really feel strongly one way or another.

Among the "bad" ones you picked out, there are also some really awesome ones that would really help the game such as centralizing replay in NY, making personal fouls challengable, making the uprights longer, and putting permanent cameras at the goal lines and down the sidelines.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Rules Madison commented on

Move kickoffs to the 40-yard-line: Horrible idea

Expand replay to include personal fouls: Fine with it. I agree 100% with Madison's comments.

Extend the goal posts an additional 5 feet above the cross bar: Good idea. There are times when the ball is kick so high that it would make it easier to tell if a kick makes it through the uprights. It could also lead to balls bouncing in or out off the uprights.

Move the line of scrimmage for PATs to the 25: I'd rather not for reasons stated by Madison.

Put cameras on all boundary lines to assure coverage for replay reviews: Biggest no brain of all. I love Madison's take.

Coach can challenge any official decision, except auto-review plays: Yes, but how would this work if a play was whistled dead?

Allow ref to consult w/ NFL officiating dept. in NYC in reviews: Sounds great in theory, but it'll get really, really old really, really fast when it extends the time it takes for reviews by putting more cooks in the kitchen.

Don't stop the clock on a sack: Indifferent, until the last 2 minutes of a game when the O is in hurry up. In that case, sacks would be far more devastating because of how much time that will be lost getting the WRs back from their go routs. How much you like the rule then will depend on if your O or D is on the field at the time.

Pass interference can be called within 1 yard of line of scrimmage: Horrible idea. Madison's response is right on the money!

Active roster for Thu./Fri./Sat. games increased from 46 to 49: Just let every player under contract who's health enough dress.

Increase prac. squad size from 8 to 10: Just get rid of the practice squad designation & let all of them suit up on game day. Madison's idea of a developmental league is something that I've been calling for, for years.

Only one cut-down date in preseason, from 90 to 53: Completely disagree with Madison. You watch pre-season games for the same reason you attend training camp. The #1 purpose of pre-season & training camp isn't entertainment, but for figuring out who's going to make the roster.

Allowing players to stay on the roster would help teams make better decision about who to cut & who to keep, but would hurt players who would have been cut earlier by not giving them an opportunity to try out for another team. However, as long as the rule doesn't mandate that they have to keep 90 until the final cut, teams can still go ahead & cut a player as soon as the coaches make up their minds about them.

Any player on I.R. can return after 6 weeks: I've no opinion because I don't know how this rule differs from the current rules.

Permit a team w/ retractable roof to open/close it at half: Like Madison said, horrible idea because of the increased gamesmanship it would create.

Rules that Madison didn't comment on (see bottom of the page)

Eliminate overtime in the preseason: I've never heard anyone say they favor OT during the preseason. This is one of those, "why wasn't this done years ago," rules.

Make it illegal to roll up the side of a defender's legs (it is already illegal to roll up the back of a defender's legs): I thought this was already illegal.

Re-organize rules about what can and cannot be reviewed, including allow the recovery of a loose ball reviewable: Isn't this already covered in the 6th rule change listed in which everything becomes reviewable?

Enforce defensive fouls that occurred behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot as opposed to from the end of the run or spot of the foul: I thought this was already the case?

Allow teams to trade players prior to the start of the new league year: I guess this would give us something to talk about during the month of February besides rehashing the SB & cut down the mind numbing period of endless speculation based on "in side sources."

Permit clubs to time and test at its own facility 10 players who attended the NFL Scouting Combine -- as well as the ability to attend any timing and testing session at another team's facility that involves three or more players: How would this differ from what's already done?

Adjust the deadline for the final roster reduction to 53 players to 2 p.m. MT as opposed to 4 p.m. MT, which is currently is: Indifferent
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 4h

Indianapolis is asking for a vote on allowing teams w/ retractable roof to be allowed to open it at halftime.

Eagles bylaw change proposal: Allow any team to attend predraft workout at any team facility attended by 3+ players.

Wash bylaw change cont: allow trades before start of league yr; eliminate roster cut down to 75; permit more than 1 player to return from IR

Washington also suggested 5 bylaw proposals: Inc active list from 46 to 49 for non-Sun/ Mon games; inc practice squad to 10 players; cont..

From Pats: extend goal posts five yards; move LOS for PAT to 25; put 6 more cameras in end zone; permit coach to challenge any decision.

From Washington: Move kickoffs to 40 yd line; expand replay to inc personal fouls; eliminate OT in preseason.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information