Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: How do you like your steak?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

I like it properly digesting in my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Ok, what brand pellet smokers do you guys have?
    I have a 24" camp chef woodwind, wifi. Overall I like it, but they replaced it, because the first one rusted badly, and I was keeping it under a covered lanai when not in use. They sent me a whole new grill. Will see if this one does the same.

3. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    You hear that King? SR eats ass.
    Not what I said!
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Want!
    Was it hard to keep the fish moist and not dried out while cooking the steaks. Since you didnt smoke it it might have been easier. I heard when smoking the salmon its harder as the fish dries out.
    I want a smoker
    No, because it was fully wrapped in foil.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Ok, what brand pellet smokers do you guys have?
    Traeger

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I smoked some wagyu beef ribs a few months back that weren't cheap. One day I'll work up enough courage to do a wagyu brisket. One day.
    I haven't done brisket or ribs, but I will say that about 1 out of 3 ribeyes I've been grilling have been wagyu cowboy cuts. Bone in, thick cut at 2.5-3" thick. I make one for both of us, and sometimes meat left over for steak salads or the like. Even compared to some of the prime I've cooked, the wagyu really is a big cut above.

We don't go out to eat or anything and only cooking a ribeye every 3-4 weeks, most of the time, so have been splurging on what I think is some outrageous prices, but man is the difference amazing.

Doing this today. About to throw them on. Only cooking up a half rack, figure it will take 6+ hours start to finish.

10. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

P.S. My go to sources for awesome grilling ideas and recipes are

https://heygrillhey.com/
    https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce

Both have youtube channels where they publish new recipes weekly, or more frequently. Hey Grill Hey is great and more traditional BBQ concepts I would say, but great variations and recipes. ATBBQ has some simple, traditional things like how to smoke competition ribs or the like, but a lot of his stuff is real foodi/gourmet BBQ level stuff, like smoked pork ragu and the like. Until today, I've mostly just watched his videos for some of his techniques for standard things like smoked butt, ribs, maybe spatchcocked turkey, etc., but I think I'm going to try some of his more gourmet level stuff down the road.

Suzie Bullock (hey grill hey) has awesome recipes/videos (typically both) for all kinds of things like spatchcocked turkey, bone in rib roast (prime rib), bourbon glazed (and many other variations) smoked butt, carolina butt, etc.,etc., etc. I buy some of her rubs and sauces just to support her as she does such great work, but she also has recipes for all the sauces and rubs she sells, so you can make them yourself.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Doing this today. About to throw them on. Only cooking up a half rack, figure it will take 6+ hours start to finish.

This is the video I sent King a link to a couple weeks back.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I haven't done brisket or ribs, but I will say that about 1 out of 3 ribeyes I've been grilling have been wagyu cowboy cuts. Bone in, thick cut at 2.5-3" thick. I make one for both of us, and sometimes meat left over for steak salads or the like. Even compared to some of the prime I've cooked, the wagyu really is a big cut above.

We don't go out to eat or anything and only cooking a ribeye every 3-4 weeks, most of the time, so have been splurging on what I think is some outrageous prices, but man is the difference amazing.
    Truth be told, Brisket is a once a year thing for me. It's a lot of work, a giant pain in the ass, and I'm not that big of a brisket fan. I prefer to cook pork and that's what I do the best at - ribs (baby back and spare), shoulders, loin, tenderloin, etc.

I've done a couple tomahawk steaks, brisket, beef ribs, etc., but it's not my favorite thing to cook or eat.

Truth be told, Brisket is a once a year thing for me. It's a lot of work, a giant pain in the ass, and I'm not that big of a brisket fan. I prefer to cook pork and that's what I do the best at - ribs (baby back and spare), shoulders, loin, tenderloin, etc.

I've done a couple tomahawk steaks, brisket, beef ribs, etc., but it's not my favorite thing to cook or eat.
    The wife likes steak, I never did, but have acquired a taste for the thick ribeye reverse seared with the aged balsamic, but it's still not my favorite (she loves it, says she will struggle to order a steak at a restaurant now because it won't be as good).

Pork is my favorite as well, but since I like the grilled/smoked flavor, have also cooked some chicken, turkey, and lamb. I tried beef short ribs and don't know if it was my technique or what, but wasn't impressed.

I think I'm going to use the aluminum pan more. The way I cooked the "McRib" I think is how I'll cook my next batch of ribs. I'm going to try just a rub, three hours on pellet grill. Then in aluminum pan with small amount of just water/apple cider and seal tight and cook for 2 1/2 hours or so, then 30 minutes or so on the grill to refirm bark. Similar to wrapping in foil for the 3-2-1, but I'm finding much better results with the foil pan over foil wrapped.

My last butt was by far the best I've done in terms of how tender and easily it shredded. A month or so ago I also did a pulled ham, which is basically a ham that you cook like a butt and then pull/shred, rather than slice.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

The 3-2-1 method is flawless with baby backs. Not as good with spares. I find that putting ribs in a high-walled pan just sitting in liquids basically baking makes them too tender. I have no use for ribs that the bones slide right out of.

The 3-2-1 method is flawless with baby backs. Not as good with spares. I find that putting ribs in a high-walled pan just sitting in liquids basically baking makes them too tender. I have no use for ribs that the bones slide right out of.
    This last go with the McRib needed bones to easily pull out, and that was started by making a slice through the meet over each bone before cooking. Also, when in the pan, it was a tiny amount of water/vinegar, so the bones held the meat out of the liquid and by the time it was done, all the liquid was gone, but I think there will be a very fine line between tender and mushy/overcooked.

Anyone have any tips for rack of lamb? I've had a lamb rack in the freezer for nearly six months now, and would like to get those cooked up.

My wife showed me a couple pics she took of some of the Cowboy steaks I'd made for her (we both eat them, but she's the one that loves steak). Thought of this thread and thought I would share. One has a better sear/char than the other, so it probably had more fat that caused the big flare ups on that really make for a great crust.

While this have quite a bit of char from searing on the IR burner of my gas grill, they were slow cooked in the pellet grill to about 115*, before resting for 10 minutes, and then searing at 1100, and if it was a steak with a lot of intramuscular fat, the sear include being incased in flame from flare up on the IR burner (the best result is when this happens).

I have a pattern of something like 60 seconds on one side, 60 seconds on the other, then 30 seconds on the first, check the temps, if still low enough, another 30 seconds on the other side, then hold it on end to get the sides for 10 seconds in a few places. Shooting for about 130-135 internal in the central areas. So, when I slice this, the center is pink, medium rare to medium.

These are big hunks of meat, which is what makes it easy to have a pink, medium-rare center and well charred/seared outside, so we only do this about once a month or so.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information