Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos sign Andre Caldwell to two year contract

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

I get that Caldwell is a security signing, but he's not all that impressive when he is on the field and he'll not replace Decker as so many readily believe. We're talking about the same receiver that has been given the opportunity to be a starter in Cincinnati and he underperformed and if he was capable here, then could have easily been more effective when he was given a shot and yet, he still underperforms. Maybe Manning can coach him up, but all in all this was a depth/security move and with how free agency is playing out, Denver will likely be taking a receiver to replace Decker high in the draft.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    I get that Caldwell is a security signing, but he's not all that impressive when he is on the field and he'll not replace Decker as so many readily believe. We're talking about the same receiver that has been given the opportunity to be a starter in Cincinnati and he underperformed and if he was capable here, then could have easily been more effective when he was given a shot and yet, he still underperforms. Maybe Manning can coach him up, but all in all this was a depth/security move and with how free agency is playing out, Denver will likely be taking a receiver to replace Decker high in the draft.

I just don't get it. If Denver can't make a SuperBowl run with an improved defense that is arguably top 5 like it was 2 years ago and more physical, along with Peyton Manning, Welker, the 2 Thomas's, Caldwell, and whomever, then this organization is in serious, serious, trouble when they move on from Manning.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    I just don't get it. If Denver can't make a SuperBowl run with an improved defense that is arguably top 5 like it was 2 years ago and more physical, along with Peyton Manning, Welker, the 2 Thomas's, Caldwell, and whomever, then this organization is in serious, serious, trouble when they move on from Manning.
    Not everyone can be what you want them to be simply by clicking your heels and demanding such. I am not saying that we can not go anywhere without, I am simply stating that Caldwell isn't that damn good so don't count on him being anything but fodder for the next two years. The fact that the Broncos are looking at Brandon LaFell says just as much, he can at least be productive.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post
    Bye Bye Decker

I don't think this has anything to do with Decker my friend. Caldwell is a 5th option receiver.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 03-12-2014 at 12:34 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I've heard this draft is deep at wide receiver. Caldwell is not a 4th option he's a 5th option. Those who say he's a 4th optionare basically saying he's a starter in this offense and that's faulty thinking. Would he put up better numbers playing with Manning on full time basis? Sure. Would he put number similar to J. Thomas who was the forth option last year? I doubt it.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Just out of curiousity - where do you guys think our offense would be this year if we went into the season with Thomas, Thomas, Welker, Caldwell, and then a bunch of scrub no name fill ins that would never play barring injury?

Just out of curiousity - where do you guys think our offense would be this year if we went into the season with Thomas, Thomas, Welker, Caldwell, and then a bunch of scrub no name fill ins that would never play barring injury?
    Manning is always going to have a good offense. But Caldwell's talent allows teams to double up on DT and keep faster corners in on Welker. So the offense isn't nearly as good, because Decker provided a serious #2 problem that most teams don't have. It will always be a good offense with Manning, but not NEARLY as good with only Caldwell as the Z.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Quote Originally Posted by luckyseven View Post
    pretty sure that is what he said.

sounds like you have a reason for not liking him
    Sounds to me like you are wrong. I'm just not looking at it with closed "yay we signed a guy that was here before" eyes.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Caldwell showed last year that he could be productive in this offense when given a chance. He'll be a solid #3 for a year or two.
    “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.”

--Vince Lombardi

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Bosco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I think we would be fine, especially with the additions on defense so far. But, one thing that doesnt get talked about much is Decker's ability to stay healthy and in the lineup. Honestly, Welker is fine when he's healthy but the last few years have not been kind to him throughout a season so if he goes down (or even DT) than what is left? Do we really think that Caldwell can pick up that kind of slack? No way. If Denver stays healthy than having Decker walk is great. But i personally would rather go in with DT/Decker who have more chemistry with Manning as well as their youth to work with Oz afterwards. The only reason why im ok with Decker walking at this point in time is because we actually got some impact defensive players to where the pressure wont be on the offense as much as it was last year. Again though, barring injury.

16. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Caldwell showed last year that he could be productive in this offense when given a chance. He'll be a solid #3 for a year or two.
    He's not a solid #3 at all, and will be replaced either by FA this year, or via the draft this year.

18. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I think we would be fine, especially with the additions on defense so far. But, one thing that doesnt get talked about much is Decker's ability to stay healthy and in the lineup. Honestly, Welker is fine when he's healthy but the last few years have not been kind to him throughout a season so if he goes down (or even DT) than what is left? Do we really think that Caldwell can pick up that kind of slack? No way. If Denver stays healthy than having Decker walk is great. But i personally would rather go in with DT/Decker who have more chemistry with Manning as well as their youth to work with Oz afterwards. The only reason why im ok with Decker walking at this point in time is because we actually got some impact defensive players to where the pressure wont be on the offense as much as it was last year. Again though, barring injury.
    I was mor thinking for AM (after Manning) for the need of Decker more than anything else. We know Welker will be one to be leaving very soon, and Manning will be leaving. Having a DT and Decker for ANY young QB we have come in wwould be HUGE in keeping this offense viable.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    He's not a solid #3 at all, and will be replaced either by FA this year, or via the draft this year.
    The film says otherwise. He filled in for Welker with little drop off in production.
    “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.”

--Vince Lombardi

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    The film says otherwise. He filled in for Welker with little drop off in production.
    How about John Elway confirms otherwise? I think that is an end to the argument. Elway told the Post after signing Ware that they are still looking to add a veteran receiver to replace Decker, LaFell is their top choice. They are also looking at available guards and centers to bolster the line and were interested in Beason before he re-signed with New York. So the Broncos are not done in Free Agency and if they felt Caldwell was a solid number two or three, well then he wouldn't be looking for that receiver still as we speak.

How about John Elway confirms otherwise? I think that is an end to the argument. Elway told the Post after signing Ware that they are still looking to add a veteran receiver to replace Decker, LaFell is their top choice. They are also looking at available guards and centers to bolster the line and were interested in Beason before he re-signed with New York. So the Broncos are not done in Free Agency and if they felt Caldwell was a solid number two or three, well then he wouldn't be looking for that receiver still as we speak.
    Looking to make an upgrade (which I support) does not invalidate what I said.

--Vince Lombardi

24. The Following User High Fived Bosco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information