Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Voltage problems

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Also, please tell your electrical engineer friend that he sucks. I'm no engineer, but I know to do more than jam some multimeter leads in a wall. Besides, electricians do that.
    Last edited by Davii; 03-07-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

thanks guys. Ill probably give the power company a call.

I didnt have any problems for like a year, then all of a sudden my lights started shorting, then fridge, etc. The circuit board in the fridge had black burns on it like it had been fried after a surge or something.

So getting a surge protector may help as well. Ill try all these suggestions out, Thanks for the help.

Take chazoe's advice here and call the power company. Chaz can correct me if wrong but I don't think they'll charge you for it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Install some GFCI outlets too.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

5. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Is it tripping your breaker? If so, unplug all the devices affected and reset breaker and if it trips again, then it may be a wiring issue. If not then narrow it down to the device. I would think you'd have at least 2 circuits to that room especially for the fridge, depends on how old your house is. You may also have a loose neutral, again depending on how old your house is, they use to use aluminum wiring which contracts&expands and loosens over time. If it's affecting your whole house I would say it's a utility issue or main breaker, but if it's just one room then it's in your house.

Call a licensed electrician. I'd rather see you pay the money then have your house burn down. Also, AFCI breakers are now Code along with GCFI outlets, again a licensed electrician would know.

One other thing, Flaco, is you may have a voltage imbalance in your panel, something to consider and have your engineer friend look at and have him check for loose connections in your feeds at your main breaker.
    Last edited by Nomad; 03-08-2014 at 09:57 AM.

7. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Install some GFCI outlets too.
    GFCI......Only in outdoors, garages, bathrooms, kitchens, and within 6 ft from sinks/water sources.

AFCI outlets/breakers are now Code when updating outlets.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    GFCI......Only in outdoors, garages, bathrooms, kitchens, and within 6 ft from sinks/water sources.

AFCI outlets/breakers are now Code when updating outlets.
    Those arc fault breakers became code for bedrooms about a year before I hung up my Klein's. Guess what the code is here, Nomad.

11. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Those arc fault breakers became code for bedrooms about a year before I hung up my Klein's. Guess what the code is here, Nomad.
    Knob and tube j/k

I think the govt put a smart meter on Chronic's house

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Is it tripping your breaker? If so, unplug all the devices affected and reset breaker and if it trips again, then it may be a wiring issue. If not then narrow it down to the device. I would think you'd have at least 2 circuits to that room especially for the fridge, depends on how old your house is. You may also have a loose neutral, again depending on how old your house is, they use to use aluminum wiring which contracts&expands and loosens over time. If it's affecting your whole house I would say it's a utility issue or main breaker, but if it's just one room then it's in your house.

Call a licensed electrician. I'd rather see you pay the money then have your house burn down. Also, AFCI breakers are now Code along with GCFI outlets, again a licensed electrician would know.

One other thing, Flaco, is you may have a voltage imbalance in your panel, something to consider and have your engineer friend look at and have him check for loose connections in your feeds at your main breaker.
    nope not tripping the breaker, the fridge is on a seperate circuit, which is why im so confused. When my lights are on, i noticed this last night, they are buzzing loudly, even the lights in my bathroom are buzzing more then normal.

yea i am planning on calling both the power company and an electrician to help me troubleshoot it monday.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    nope not tripping the breaker, the fridge is on a seperate circuit, which is why im so confused. When my lights are on, i noticed this last night, they are buzzing loudly, even the lights in my bathroom are buzzing more then normal.

yea i am planning on calling both the power company and an electrician to help me troubleshoot it monday.

The power company has a variance, in which, the voltage can be +/- 5-7% on the supply voltage to your home. Perhaps they can do a power quality factor calc, but I'd believe they'd ask if you checked your house out as well. Again, have the electrician check the connections at your panel/main breaker and go from there. Usually you start troubleshooting from the device to the source (panel). Good luck and let us know what they find.

Yeah, Slick, I just had a 2014 Code update class a couple weeks ago, and now they will require every circuit to be AFCI, unless if the outlet is within 6' from a water source, then it'll have to be GFCI. And the instructor believes manufacturers are working on an AFCI/GFCI combo breaker for the 2017 NEC code. You can figure a 20 amp breaker like that would probably cost a $100+ a breaker. So if your refrigerator has a water supply, it'll have to be on GFCI. Hell, even the garage opener has to be on a GFCI just be it's in the garage though up on the ceiling(as of 2008)......none of this makes sense because you're screwed if those outlets trip. I feel for the folks wanting to upgrade or build homes or even the contractors, because the cost of electrical just went up big time, not counting how much copper is now. Not many states have adopted the 2014 Code yet.

16. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Well, Flaco, what did they find?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Coming next week, im in finals this week so kinda hard to be around at the house.

The power company has a variance, in which, the voltage can be +/- 5-7% on the supply voltage to your home. Perhaps they can do a power quality factor calc, but I'd believe they'd ask if you checked your house out as well. Again, have the electrician check the connections at your panel/main breaker and go from there. Usually you start troubleshooting from the device to the source (panel). Good luck and let us know what they find.

Yeah, Slick, I just had a 2014 Code update class a couple weeks ago, and now they will require every circuit to be AFCI, unless if the outlet is within 6' from a water source, then it'll have to be GFCI. And the instructor believes manufacturers are working on an AFCI/GFCI combo breaker for the 2017 NEC code. You can figure a 20 amp breaker like that would probably cost a $100+ a breaker. So if your refrigerator has a water supply, it'll have to be on GFCI. Hell, even the garage opener has to be on a GFCI just be it's in the garage though up on the ceiling(as of 2008)......none of this makes sense because you're screwed if those outlets trip. I feel for the folks wanting to upgrade or build homes or even the contractors, because the cost of electrical just went up big time, not counting how much copper is now. Not many states have adopted the 2014 Code yet.
    I wouldn't want my fridge or my garage door opener on a gfci. I would switch it out after the inspector left.

That combo breaker sounds like a nightmare.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

And the code is written by manufacturers and people who get kickbacks in one way or another from manufacturers. Who do you suppose benefits from code changes that require more copper use and or the use of more expensive equipment? It's kind of a joke really. IIRC there's a place in the back of the code book that shows the people on the committee that oversees the code and if you look them up they all have ties to companies making a lot of money from electrical supplies.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

apparently there was something wrong with the transformer, Power company came by. All fixed

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information