Thread: NEED HELP with my mini Mac!

Default NEED HELP with my mini Mac!

I've always been a PC guy, but bought this Mini-Mac because they are getting high reviews for making a HTPC.

The problem I'm having is that I can't get the sound to broadcast through my TV via the HDMI cable. I don't know mac very well, so finding and looking for settings is driving me nuts because I just don't know where to go, nor where to start looking.

I've read that this is a problem with the mini, but was hoping someone more knowledgable here can get me going in the right direction to solve this annoying problem.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

There's a few solutions listed here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2586101

And:

http://www.strayed.co.uk/2013/06/27/...-output-issue/

Other than that, return the Mac and go back to a PC.

My stepdad has one hooked up to his TV using an HDMI. He said he had to go into sound preferences and select HDMI as the output and it worked just fine.

I have to do the same thing when I hook up my laptop with Linux Mint.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I've always been a PC guy, but bought this Mini-Mac because they are getting high reviews for making a HTPC.

The problem I'm having is that I can't get the sound to broadcast through my TV via the HDMI cable. I don't know mac very well, so finding and looking for settings is driving me nuts because I just don't know where to go, nor where to start looking.

I've read that this is a problem with the mini, but was hoping someone more knowledgable here can get me going in the right direction to solve this annoying problem.
    Yup like Slick said its an easy fix for the sound. I have attached some screen shots from my Mac to show you:

First go to the System Presences (gear icon) in your dock and click on the sound speaker icon which is usually in the second row:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.34.58 AM.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	4590

Then in the new window under output just select the HDMI source (not shown in mine, but will pop up when connected):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 10.35.25 AM.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	4591

Your computer will remember whenever its hooked up to the source again so you shouldn't have to select it each time. I watched Game of Thrones of my Mac last night through my TV and it was just a matter of running the HDMI to to the TV with the adapter.

And if you ever want to get really fancy and run Windows on your Mac, let me know and I can point you towards some bootcamp tutorials. Really easy to do and great for PC gaming!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information