Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Denver could be hoping Decker gets big offer elsewhere"--AP

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

Default "Denver could be hoping Decker gets big offer elsewhere"--AP

Eric Decker, a third-round pick in 2010, hits the market on March 11. With big numbers over the last two years aided by the presence of Peyton Manning, Decker could be one of the few guys to get overpaid early in the process — especially by a cap-rich team with an owner who wants to make a splash for business purposes more than football reasons.

Some in league circles believe the Broncos hope Decker gets that big offer and pounces on it, so that the Broncos aren’t faced with the dilemma of paying Decker something in the range of $5 million per year or politely telling him they’re not interested.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs

I've said it before... Decker is probably only worth $5-$7M tops. I did expect Denver to try and match a $5-$6M offer but maybe not. It would have been interesting to me to get Jeremy Maclin on board though.

2. The Following User High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I doubt that is accurate. They may want him to leave? No I don't see that at all.

Riley Cooper got a contract that is worth $5 million per year he's not nearly as good of receiver as Decker is. If Cooper is worth $5 million per year then Decker is certainly worth atleast $2 to $3 million more than Cooper per year.

I don't think it would be interesting at to bring in guy who is often injured and to this point in his career hasn't done squat.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

6. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I doubt that is accurate. They may want him to leave? No I don't see that at all.

Riley Cooper got a contract that is worth $5 million per year he's not nearly as good of receiver as Decker is. If Cooper is worth $5 million per year then Decker is certainly worth atleast $2 to $3 million more than Cooper per year.

I don't think it would be interesting at to bring in guy who is often injured and to this point in his career hasn't done squat.
    That's just it. Look who was passing to Riley Cooper and who was passing to Eric Decker. There's a difference and I think GM's are wise to that nowadays. Do you think Eric Decker, the same guy who has dropped wide open passes throughout his tenure in Denver, the same guy who tripped over his own feet 35 yds from the end zone with no opposing players in front of him, would be as productive in Philly as he was in Denver? No forkin way pal.

8. The Following User High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

P.S. I like Decker, but I don't love Decker. It only sounds like I'm bashing him because in order to point out what I think are valid points/facts, you kinda have to.

10. The Following User High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by artie_dale View Post
    That's just it. Look who was passing to Riley Cooper and who was passing to Eric Decker. There's a difference and I think GM's are wise to that nowadays. Do you think Eric Decker, the same guy who has dropped wide open passes throughout his tenure in Denver, the same guy who tripped over his own feet 35 yds from the end zone with no opposing players in front of him, would be as productive in Philly as he was in Denver? No forkin way pal.
    Imo that's a poor argument that a lot of people have used. Pierre Garcon had Manning throwing to him the first three seasons of his career he had Manning throwing the ball to him do you know how many time he eclipsed 80 plus catches, 1,000 yards receiving and double touchdowns? Zero. To say that it's that all Manning is bunk.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 03-05-2014 at 11:35 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Imo that's a poor argument that a lot of people have used. Pierre Garcon had Manning throwing to him the first three seasons of his career he had Manning throwing the ball to him do you know how many time he eclipsed 80 plus catches, 1,000 yards receiving and double touchdowns? Zero. To say that it's that all Manning is bunk.
    Yeah, and look how fabulous he is in Washington and for pretty good $$.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Yeah, and look how fabulous he is in Washington and for pretty good $$.
    That proves my point.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

That proves my point.
    Garcon is a better WR than Decker IMO
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Garcon is a better WR than Decker IMO
    He is more physically imposing. I will agree with that. He's also had some pretty shoddy QB play in Washington.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

That proves my point.
    I understand. I think we agree that Garcon is over paid (he did achieve 113 rec & 1100+ yds this season, 5 TDs). During Garcon's time in Indi, Reggie Wayne & Dallas Clark were favorite targets too.

But, from your argument, because Decker also eclipsed the 1,000 yd mark with Peyton, while Garcon never did (under Peyton), Decker does add more talent & value than Garcon, and should be considered more than that article says. Right?

I can't argue against that. It's a legit argument. I personally can live without Decker and still wouldn't be surprised if he did only get $5-$6M, but can see how a team may rightfully believe he's worth paying more for. I also think the team can be just as successful with replacing him.

I listen to some of the Denver sports radio while I drive to and from work, and it seems the other half of the talk is on the defensive side. Getting certain players (keeping DRC or considering Browning) in order to make our defense stronger to keep up with the likes of Seattle. But, to me, the defense didn't lose that game. The offense lost that Super Bowl. I'd like to hear more what can be fixed on offense more. We can't say keeping Decker is the answer, because he caught 1 pass for 6 yds in that Super Bowl. Do we need our WR's to be more physical? Do we need a more dependable running game? I'm not entirely sold on our O-line. Peyton's ability to get rid of the ball quickly helped them out more than it should be required.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

I really doubt Denver "wants" him to leave.

I also really doubt they are even going to try and bring him back.

IMHO, Decker is an above average player, and nothing more, without Manning.

I listen to some of the Denver sports radio while I drive to and from work, and it seems the other half of the talk is on the defensive side. Getting certain players (keeping DRC or considering Browning) in order to make our defense stronger to keep up with the likes of Seattle. But, to me, the defense didn't lose that game. The offense lost that Super Bowl. I'd like to hear more what can be fixed on offense more. We can't say keeping Decker is the answer, because he caught 1 pass for 6 yds in that Super Bowl. Do we need our WR's to be more physical? Do we need a more dependable running game? I'm not entirely sold on our O-line. Peyton's ability to get rid of the ball quickly helped them out more than it should be required.

Really good post and I agree with everything.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

This was the most important part of the PFT article to me.

After the big-money phase of free agency ends, the Broncos can use Decker’s deal as the ultimate recruiting tool for a veteran receiver to sign a reasonable, short-term contract to play with Peyton.
    Everyone knows the Broncos want Decker back. They want him back at a much lower rate than he and his agent will be willing to take though.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Very poor argument and very weak. Welker drops wide open passes, DT fumbles the ball more than Decker, etc. Fact is, you can replace any of our wideouts/TE's and Manning will make them look good because its Manning. Its very myopic point of view to think that its only been Decker who has flourished under Peyton.

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information