Thread: former seattle CB browner reinstated

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Default former seattle CB browner reinstated

Browner former seattle CB who was suspended indefinitely was reinstated stated per his Twitter. He will be a FA.

I would take a stab at him for cheap. He is a former pro bowl CB and very physical. We have needs he could help in secondary.

I thought he was still under contract with the Seahawks.
    Bronco: The best horse in the NFL

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Nope they cut him during the season when he got the suspension.

he's a month or two away from another suspension...

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

5. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    he's a month or two away from another suspension...
    Not sure that's so, in this league: As long as you're winning, you can do wtf you like. Maybe that's why the Raiders fell off the edge of a cliff: "Just Win, Baby" isn't enough if EVERYONE does it.

Still wouldn't touch Browner with a 10' pole though. I don't want a SB badly enough to win it with Seattles dishonest dangerous combination of PEDs and 2nd degree assault.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Not sure that's so, in this league: As long as you're winning, you can do wtf you like. Maybe that's why the Raiders fell off the edge of a cliff: "Just Win, Baby" isn't enough if EVERYONE does it.

Still wouldn't touch Browner with a 10' pole though. I don't want a SB badly enough to win it with Seattles dishonest dangerous combination of PEDs and 2nd degree assault.
    Um, "winning" has nothing to do with whether the NFL suspends you or not. WTF are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Um, "winning" has nothing to do with whether the NFL suspends you or not. WTF are you talking about?
    Of course it doesn't; just ask Dick Sherman and Brandon Browner how well their suspensions are going—oh, wait: They aren't on suspensions anymore....

Literally HALF Seattles roster went from undrafted (i.e. ALL 32 teams passed on them SEVEN TIMES) to SB champs in just 3 years. In the interim, they popped for drugs more than ANY other team in the same period, which taxes the limits of plausibility unless one thinks the NFLs random tests just happened to catch all guilty parties.

It's an athletic axiom one can be strong OR fast, but only the rarest freaks of nature can be BOTH; look at all the people who screamed that gaining just 5 lbs. slowed Miller to a crawl. Somehow, Seattles team consists of a whole TEAM of guys who went from "unwanted by the whole NFL" to "faster AND stronger than the whole NFL" overnight. Common sense would say that came out of a bottle even if leading the league in positive drug tests didn't, but they "won" games and now a championship, so roughly HALF those suspensions were overturned.

Bet DJ wishes he played for Pete Carroll; I can't help wondering if Carrolls latest pro team is headed for the same vacated "championship" as his last college team, but I don't wonder much.
    Last edited by Joel; 03-09-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

So if Earl Thomas or Russell Okung came available you'd wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole?

I would take any of those dishonest/dangerous combos if they're better than what I have.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Don't think Browner would fit our man scheme at all.
    If not me, who?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    So if Earl Thomas or Russell Okung came available you'd wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole?

I would take any of those dishonest/dangerous combos if they're better than what I have.
    I'm talking about the 23 Seahawks who went from undrafted to SB champs overnight: Thomas was drafted 14th overall and Okung 6th so, no, they're not in that group. Browner's a classic example of who I'm talking about; he not only wasn't drafted, but had to go to the CFL, where he became a star in a league I'm told HAS no PED testing, the returned to a starting job on a SB team (until two positive drug tests in as many years earned him a year long suspension, the duration of which means there was a third one we haven't heard about.)

I'd rather try to turn Ihenacho into the next Thomas than pay for the original, but neither he nor Okung went from scrub to All Pro overnight. The HALF of Seattle who did are huge red flags.

13. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

With the market on corners being set by Grimes and Shields, we know the going value will range between 7 to 10 million a season, I can not see Denver obligating more out to the position then they already have to, especially when you factor in the multitude of issues surrounding him.

15. The Following User High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Default Pass, and only because I can't double

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    With the market on corners being set by Grimes and Shields, we know the going value will range between 7 to 10 million a season, I can not see Denver obligating more out to the position then they already have to, especially when you factor in the multitude of issues surrounding him.
    To give an idea of the risk those issues involve, when Browners suspension was first reported, both NFL.com and ESPNs site analysts declared it career-ending: He couldn't play till 2015, and no no one wants anyone with three strikes who's 31 years old at a speed position. Again, this is a guy who couldn't make ANY NFL roster till he went to a league that doesn't drug test and made a name for himself there. He was crap without PEDs, and has popped so many times he'll be frequently and regularly tested the rest of his career: He'll either be crap again or suspended again.

How much of all that does the reinstatement change? He can play again this year instead of waiting till next year; that's it. One year doesn't convert "career done" into "valuable addition."

To give an idea of the risk those issues involve, when Browners suspension was first reported, both NFL.com and ESPNs site analysts declared it career-ending: He couldn't play till 2015, and no no one wants anyone with three strikes who's 31 years old at a speed position. Again, this is a guy who couldn't make ANY NFL roster till he went to a league that doesn't drug test and made a name for himself there. He was crap without PEDs, and has popped so many times he'll be frequently and regularly tested the rest of his career: He'll either be crap again or suspended again.

How much of all that does the reinstatement change? He can play again this year instead of waiting till next year; that's it. One year doesn't convert "career done" into "valuable addition."
    you might want to read up a bit on Browner's situation. It's a bit unusual.

And yes, the CFL does have drug testing, although they didn't prior to I believe 2010.

Not that I want him, but it's a huge stretch to say everyone on Seattle is juicing.
    If not me, who?

Default The situation is he reportedly skipped the tests completely; ask Von Miller how the NFL treats cheating the test

Quote Originally Posted by bcbronc View Post
    you might want to read up a bit on Browner's situation. It's a bit unusual.
    The main thing that looks unusual about it is it was initially yet another PED suspension, but when he hotly denied that and demanded a retraction it magically became a recreational drug suspension—yet was still a one year suspension (i.e. the third strike penalty.) Even though the NFLs PED and substance abuse programs are separate (i.e. if a player pops for PEDs three times without EVER popping for recreational drugs, the first positive substance abuse test does NOT cause suspension: It's a separate issue.)

Then he filed a lawsuit to get the substance abuse suspension reversed, and in the interim his team won a SB, so the suspension's dropped, and now the lawsuit is, too. Just win, baby.

And yes, the CFL does have drug testing, although they didn't prior to I believe 2010.
    2010 was Browners last CFL season, so all he only had to dodge inaugural random drug tests for a year before returning to the NFL, where his dodging repeatedly proved less effective.

Not that I want him, but it's a huge stretch to say everyone on Seattle is juicing.
    Not EVERYONE, no; again, Okung and Earl Thomas went in the first round (one in the top ten) for a reason (i.e. the Seahawks didn't think they'd last till the second.)

However, the 23 guys who lasted beyond the LAST round yet got themselves SB Rings within 3 years are a huge red flag, because, again, strength and speed tend to be mutually exclusive—everywhere but Seattle. Browner's the posterchild for that because he went from "nobody wants him" to "All Pro" in just a few years in a league without drug tests. Returning to the NFL the moment the CFL began testing—and immediately and repeatedly testing positive—only underscores that.

Throw in nearly a dozen Seahawks who tested positive in the last 3 years, and those 23 worst-to-first players look VERY suspicious. So does Seattles success with arguing those suspensions till roughly HALF were cancelled. My personal favorite is still Dick Shermans defense: HE didn't put Adderall in a water bottle—one of his TEAMMATES did: That makes it OK, see?

The NFLs drug testing regimen (sort of) works, but as long as the team's winning it doesn't matter: Just ask Shawne Merriman. Fact is, only he knows WHAT Browner was/n't on, because he wouldn't let the NFL check, which brought a suspension for PEDs changed to a suspension for recreational drugs and then finally dropped.

Maybe that wasn't just because his team won a championship in the interim, but since arguing their way out of positive PED tests is a routine matter in Seattle, half their all star "championship" roster couldn't even get a JOB three years ago and their coach was run out of the SECAA for systematically breaking the rules... well, just how much evidence does proof require?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I'm talking about the 23 Seahawks who went from undrafted to SB champs overnight: Thomas was drafted 14th overall and Okung 6th so, no, they're not in that group. Browner's a classic example of who I'm talking about; he not only wasn't drafted, but had to go to the CFL, where he became a star in a league I'm told HAS no PED testing, the returned to a starting job on a SB team (until two positive drug tests in as many years earned him a year long suspension, the duration of which means there was a third one we haven't heard about.)

I'd rather try to turn Ihenacho into the next Thomas than pay for the original, but neither he nor Okung went from scrub to All Pro overnight. The HALF of Seattle who did are huge red flags.
    Except Ihenacho doesn't even come close to Thomas in talent.

Anyway, I just don't get the snobby "I'd rather lose with the boyscout than win with the D-bag" attitude, that's all.

Btw, Browner was well on his way to being a high 1st round pick as an underclassmen, true story, dude has talent.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information