Thread: Competition committee discussing 43-yard extra point

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Competition committee discussing 43-yard extra point

The extra point has become the NFL's great afterthought. Could a substantial change be on the horizon?

NFL Media's Judy Battista reports the NFL Competition Committee is in preliminary talks about placing the ball at the 25-yard line for the point-after attempt. That would make the extra point a 43-yard attempt.

The ball is currently spotted at the 2-yard line, a 20-yard chip shot that was converted 99.6 percent of the time during the 2013 season. The kick was so automatic that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell floated the idea in January of eliminating the PAT entirely.
    rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...rd-extra-point

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I'd rather something like this, as opposed to total elimination. Or, as I've said before move the ball to one of the hash-marks instead of right in the middle.

3. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Not necessary. Its fine the way it is.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Well, I did like the gamble scenario one article was suggesting. If you score a TD you get 6 points. You then have the option of kicking a field goal from 35 yards for 1 extra point. If you miss it then your 6 point TD goes down to 5 points. That would make the extra point really interesting.

I do like things left alone when it comes to the NFL though. Seems like every year it gets more and more regulated and watered down.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

7. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Generally im opposed to changes in the NFL. But I actually think this would make the game a whole lot better. Kickers salaries would increase a lot too haha

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

If you eliminate the PAT, you also eliminate the 2-pt conversion. But here's an idea that wouldn't alter the game much but make the choice more interesting:

Traditional PAT (1 pt) is snapped from the 7 yd line, making it the equivalent of a 25-yd FG. If the kick is blocked and run back, two points for the defense. If the PAT is botched but the offensive team manages to run or throw like a touchdown, two points for the offense. If the team *wants* to go for two, they can either snap the ball from the 7 yd line in a normal offensive set or they can attempt a 50-yd free kick from the opponent's 40 yard line. The defense can run the kick back for two points if they reach the opposite end zone.

It sounds like a big change but it really isn't. Most teams will still opt for the 25-yd XP most of the time (the safest play) except possibly kickers in Denver or those with a stiff wind at their back. In reality, it opens up the two-point conversion for more possibilities but not enough that would cause most teams to attempt it on a regular basis.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Heard that Vegas bettors are hating this idea. It will makes final scores less predictable

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I am fine with this. Something obviously needed to change, as the XP was far too easy. This actually makes it a challenging play, which is what every NFL play should be. This definitely makes kickers more valuable too.

Quote Originally Posted by reimx007 View Post
    Generally im opposed to changes in the NFL. But I actually think this would make the game a whole lot better. Kickers salaries would increase a lot too haha
    considering we are paying our kickers about 7 million combined for what accounts for 5-8 appearances a game combined, not sure we need to spend that much money each year , it is not like they are game breakers or makers.

3 years from now perhaps but Manning makes them pretty irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Heard that Vegas bettors are hating this idea. It will makes final scores less predictable
    That is one reason I love football: You never really know what they will do next unless it is a PAT. Making the PAT attempt longer will improve the game's entertainment value.
    Bronco: The best horse in the NFL

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

In addition to this I'd actually like to see field goals of 60 yards or more count for 4 points.

43 yards? That's a lot more than I had expected them to even discuss moving the kick. It's interesting, and would certainly add to the XP and not just be considered a "gimme" by any means....but I think 43 yards is just too far. At the same time, I don't think there NEEDS to be a change at all. For some reason, people just want to change things for the sake of changing them.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    In addition to this I'd actually like to see field goals of 60 yards or more count for 4 points.
    and the goal posts be altered to an O RING shape, so that the kicker has to put it THROUGH the hoop! The closer the kicker is, the smaller the hoop he has to kick it through.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    and the goal posts be altered to an O RING shape, so that the kicker has to put it THROUGH the hoop! The closer the kicker is, the smaller the hoop he has to kick it through.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information