Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No need to break up the Broncos’ band

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    That's not the question I asked though. DT > Decker, agreed. Is DT at $16 million a year better than Decker at $8 million a year? That's another issue, and I don't think DT is that much better.
    Agreed. And its a massive stretch to say DT is more sure handed than Deck as DT has more fumbles in his career than Decker does.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Agreed. And its a massive stretch to say DT is more sure handed than Deck as DT has more fumbles in his career than Decker does.
    Not really, he is more sure handed, Decker has more drops then Thomas does, fumbles are a different story but completions make a bigger difference to a quarterback!

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    Not really, he is more sure handed, Decker has more drops then Thomas does, fumbles are a different story but completions make a bigger difference to a quarterback!

Not correct. DT had 8 drops in 142 targets in 2013, for a 5.6% rate. Decker had 7 drops in 136 targets, or a 5.1% rate. Near enough to not be worth quibbling over, but like everything else their performance was pretty near identical last season

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

That's not the question I asked though. DT > Decker, agreed. Is DT at $16 million a year better than Decker at $8 million a year? That's another issue, and I don't think DT is that much better.
    I think some are getting confused, it's not like I'm advocating letting Decker go, I'd prefer to keep him. He may not be as physically talented as Demaryius Thomas, but I do like his toughness, he is also better after the catch then some would credit him for. Thomas is a bigger playmaker and has better hands which will count for something in the eyes of the team, that is my opinion at least. Some forget that I posted earlier this off-season that 'Denver would be smart to trade Demaryius Thomas for a first round pick now'; my thought is that Decker while not a true number one could still be effective as such with Wes Welker and Julius Thomas in the mix, Denver could easily add another capable veteran for the season and draft someone to fill the void. I just don't believe Elway will see it that way and it would be dumb to hash out that kind of money to Decker then walk into next off-season with no option but to tag Demaryius Thomas in order not to lose the value in him, whereas doing so now the Broncos would receive fair compensation and it's a deep wide receiver draft, Denver could use that pick trade the 31st to add more or add two first round talents to the squad and still take a receiver later and be safe. However, I believe Demaryius Thomas is the bigger asset going forward with another quarterback because what he brings and his overall size is a plus.

5. The Following User High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Not correct. DT had 8 drops in 142 targets in 2013, for a 5.6% rate. Decker had 7 drops in 136 targets, or a 5.1% rate. Near enough to not be worth quibbling over, but like everything else their performance was pretty near identical last season

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/
    Okay, then my bad. I thought Decker had a higher rate then that, or maybe it was Welker and I confused the two.

7. The Following User High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Okay, then my bad. I thought Decker had a higher rate then that, or maybe it was Welker and I confused the two.
    Decker started horribly last year, but was very reliable after that Ratbirds game. I think 3 of his 7 drops occurred in that one game. Welker had much more of a drop issue
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

9. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Elway and company have earned my respect and trust. Whatever happens I have faith that they will do whats best for the franchise.

Then you're stuck going into the following yer as Eric Decker as your #1 WR making $8 million a year. That's an even worse scenario then all of the above.

12. The Following User High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

If you think its a matter of keeping Decker for $8 million a year or DT for $8 million a year you are very mistaken. Thats an EZ choice (DT, duh), but not one we will actually be offered. It may cost double that to keep DT next year. I doubt we can do it, frankly. If its Decker for $8 million or DT for 16$ million I'd rather keep Decker and let DT go, frankly.
    calvin johnson's deal averages sixteen, and it's crippling his team. . . same with larry fitzgerald. . . as far as i know, revis is the only other non-QB to ever hit that number, and two teams in a row have quickly come to regret that deal. . . brandon marshall averages under nine mil, and andre johnson is under ten. . . demaryious is a damn nice receiver-- he's NOT calvin johnson or larry fitzgerald. . . if DT gets more than twelve or thirteen (absolute tops, i would say less in this economic era), i will eat my keyboard and post it to youtube. . .

i keep telling north and den to relax-- they'll get over decker when we still throw 45 or 50 TDs without him next year, and can actually afford some NFL talent on defense. . .

Of all stupid ideas on earth....gotta be kidding me....we have a few good guys and a crap defense. Keep em together? Who wrote this crap? Is your marriage going bad? I am gonna blow it up and take names....Jesus H Christ.

15. The Following User High Fived Superchop 7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Then you're stuck going into the following yer as Eric Decker as your #1 WR making $8 million a year. That's an even worse scenario then all of the above.
    Not in the scenario I presented, let's say that Denver signs Decker to a four year 35 million dollar deal, now that is roughly 8.75 mil a year (includes signing bonus), and let's say that Denver traded Demaryius Thomas to Pittsburgh with the 15th overall pick, Denver could keep that pick and have a higher chance to get a playmaker or trade down for more picks in what is a very deep draft where Denver has needs, wide receiver being one. Denver could take a wide receiver with the 31st Pick who could replace D. Thomas, someone like Benjamin or Beckham or even wait till their next pick and still have a good shot at a good wide receiver who would cost them a mere 6 to 7 mil over the next four seasons. However, I don't see it happening...it's just that if the Broncos are going to trade Demaryius Thomas it would be smarter done this year instead of Denver wasting their tag next year when it would be better used elsewhere and all in order to trade him at that point.

But as I mentioned, I don't see it happening. Demaryius Thomas is a bigger playmaker then Decker and a better receiver for an untested quarterback or one with little experience because of what he brings and I believe replacing a number two is easier then doing the same for a number one. As Dog pointed out as well, D. Thomas isn't likely to be a 16 million dollar wide receiver, we'll see how it plays out but Denver has options.
    Last edited by Lancane; 03-04-2014 at 01:38 AM.

17. The Following User High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Not in the scenario I presented, let's say that Denver signs Decker to a four year 35 million dollar deal, now that is roughly 8.75 mil a year (includes signing bonus), and let's say that Denver traded Demaryius Thomas to Pittsburgh with the 15th overall pick, Denver could keep that pick and have a higher chance to get a playmaker or trade down for more picks in what is a very deep draft where Denver has needs, wide receiver being one. Denver could take a wide receiver with the 31st Pick who could replace D. Thomas, someone like Benjamin or Beckham or even wait till their next pick and still have a good shot at a good wide receiver who would cost them a mere 6 to 7 mil over the next four seasons. However, I don't see it happening...it's just that if the Broncos are going to trade Demaryius Thomas it would be smarter done this year instead of Denver wasting their tag next year when it would be better used elsewhere and all in order to trade him at that point.

But as I mentioned, I don't see it happening. Demaryius Thomas is a bigger playmaker then Decker and a better receiver for an untested quarterback or one with little experience because of what he brings and I believe replacing a number two is easier then doing the same for a number one. As Dog pointed out as well, I D. Thomas isn't likely to be a 16 million dollar quarterback, we'll see how it plays out but Denver has options.
    one could always dream about being able to move up in the draft like that.

While DT is a play maker his cap value next year could be a problem with little or no increase in production.

IF he could be replaced this year with a talented WR, Decker, WW and JT (who really is only going into his second season) could bring the rookie along and take up most of the slack that we lose with DT gone.

again one can only dream, it would delay having to pay the really big buck for a WR for another 5 years.

Maybe you should drop John a note.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

cane, cut it out. . .

don't even rile the natives up, we're not trading DT, and you know that shit!

20. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    cane, cut it out. . .

don't even rile the natives up, we're not trading DT, and you know that shit!
    I like riling the natives up, it soooo much fun!

Lancane, another wanna be....never will be.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information