Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No need to break up the Broncos’ band

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default No need to break up the Broncos’ band

Four weeks removed, the sting of 43-8 still remains. Losing is never fun; doing it on the game’s biggest stage, in epic fashion, is even more painful.

But that’s no reason to overreact, which is what many think the Broncos should do.

The calls for change have come from all corners, in all various forms. Some on the lunatic fringe have called for Denver to pull the plug on the Peyton Manning “experiment,” as though it has somehow been a failure during the past two years. While a more sensible lot – one with good, albeit misguided, intentions – wants John Elway and the rest of the Broncos brass to focus on rebuilding the defense instead of surrounding their aging quarterback with more and more weapons.

No matter where people fall on the “blow it up” spectrum, they have one giant thing in common: They’re wrong.
    rest - http://milehighsports.com/2014/03/03...-broncos-band/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Yea, we are wrong. 43-8 was a nailbiter.

3. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

No need to blow it up. But improving significantly in specific areas of need on both sides of the ball are needed. That will require Denver consider cost-saving moves at some positions. If they press forward with what they have, which resulted in two very good regular season records (which includes a big number of mediocre to bad teams) and a poor post season record against good-to-elite teams, then Denver shouldn't expect different results next year.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Do people that write these articles stop to consider that signing Decker to a deal worth keeping him likely means Denver loses DThomas after next year? They would seriously risk losing Thomas just for 1 more shot at a SuperBowl when it wouldn't even guarantee anything more that we'd be good on offense again?

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No need to blow it up. But improving significantly in specific areas of need on both sides of the ball are needed. That will require Denver consider cost-saving moves at some positions. If they press forward with what they have, which resulted in two very good regular season records (which includes a big number of mediocre to bad teams) and a poor post season record against good-to-elite teams, then Denver shouldn't expect different results next year.
    I agree, and cost saving moves very likely may not mean better on the field. I've said this time and time again, I think there's a good chance Denver will not be close to being as good next year as they were this year on paper, but the reality of it means all Denver needs to do is get through a lethargic AFC again and they will have a 1 game - 1 opportunity in the SuperBowl again which is all a team like Denver can really ask for right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm sorry, but I lost him at this line:

While a more sensible lot – one with good, albeit misguided, intentions – wants John Elway and the rest of the Broncos brass to focus on rebuilding the defense instead of surrounding their aging quarterback with more and more weapons.
    If he thinks this is a misguided approach, he's just wrong IMO.

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Problem is that most columnists and reporters have about as much experience as a ballerina does playing football, hell they barely grasp the basic concepts and rules of the game. I've found that our media here in Denver with covering football has been going down hill for awhile now give a few noteworthy individuals. Anyone else notice their hyperbolic quips or their contradicting brain-farts?

I don't expect the Manning era in Denver to survive beyond this season for various reasons, and the team has to be able to continually compete despite whatever may happen on both sides of the ball. That means evolving the roster, no matter the strength of the team.

God I hate the offseason.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yea, we are wrong. 43-8 was a nailbiter.
    Lol all the way till the very end.

I keep hearing from other fans that we ruined their super bowl. If it were other teams playing I would have felt the same way. 43-8 on SB Sunday isn't fun to watch. Unless you are our rival.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

15. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Do people that write these articles stop to consider that signing Decker to a deal worth keeping him likely means Denver loses DThomas after next year? They would seriously risk losing Thomas just for 1 more shot at a SuperBowl when it wouldn't even guarantee anything more that we'd be good on offense again?
    I dont buy that first statement for one second. They can always release someone else if needed. No way the Broncos let DT walk if Deckee is signed this year.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    I dont buy that first statement for one second. They can always release someone else if needed. No way the Broncos let DT walk if Deckee is signed this year.
    DB, next year will be a horrendous off-season for the Broncos, they'll have a number of starters entering free agency and only a handful will likely be kept, keeping Decker at the price he'll demand even if low could cost the team elsewhere. We're talking Von Miller, Terrance Knighton, Wes Welker, Demaryius Thomas, Orlando Franklin, Kevin Vickerson, Rahim Moore, not including a ****load of our depth. You expect Denver to trim more fat and be even more unstable when it comes to the roster? And that doesn't include Harris or Ihenacho depending on this off-season or any one-year deals that Elway is so fond of.

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    How much do you sink in to one position and at what cost to the rest of the team?

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    If you think its a matter of keeping Decker for $8 million a year or DT for $8 million a year you are very mistaken. Thats an EZ choice (DT, duh), but not one we will actually be offered. It may cost double that to keep DT next year. I doubt we can do it, frankly. If its Decker for $8 million or DT for 16$ million I'd rather keep Decker and let DT go, frankly.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

20. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    If you think its a matter of keeping Decker for $8 million a year or DT for $8 million a year you are very mistaken. Thats an EZ choice (DT, duh), but not one we will actually be offered. It may cost double that to keep DT next year. I doubt we can do it, frankly. If its Decker for $8 million or DT for 16$ million I'd rather keep Decker and let DT go, frankly.
    Demaryius Thomas is worth more then Eric Decker, you could pretty much ask anyone in the league and they'll agree. You think Elway would have kept McCaffrey over Smith? Also, you have to look at the bigger picture, Manning isn't long left in this league, who is the bigger asset for the next starting quarterback? Decker isn't as sure handed as Thomas is or as big a playmaker, not to mention that money to Decker could allow the Broncos to keep the likes of Julius Thomas (who is also an unrestricted free agent after the season) and a better asset going forward. As much as I like Decker it's time to part ways unless he comes back for peanuts which he will not. Plus true number one receivers are worth and cost more period, is Denver suppose to let Demaryius go next off-season or franchise tag him and trade him, if they can even find a trade partner and maybe they get a compensation pick in 2016. Whereas Denver could sign someone like Brandon LeFell for half the cost and who could be just as effective and retain more in the end.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    Demaryius Thomas is worth more then Eric Decker, you could pretty much ask anyone in the league and they'll agree. You think Elway would have kept McCaffrey over Smith? Also, you have to look at the bigger picture, Manning isn't long left in this league, who is the bigger asset for the next starting quarterback? Decker isn't as sure handed as Thomas is or as big a playmaker, not to mention that money to Decker could allow the Broncos to keep the likes of Julius Thomas (who is also an unrestricted free agent after the season) and a better asset going forward. As much as I like Decker it's time to part ways unless he comes back for peanuts which he will not. Plus true number one receivers are worth and cost more period, is Denver suppose to let Demaryius go next off-season or franchise tag him and trade him, if they can even find a trade partner and maybe they get a compensation pick in 2016. Whereas Denver could sign someone like Brandon LeFell for half the cost and who could be just as effective and retain more in the end.
    That's not the question I asked though. DT > Decker, agreed. Is DT at $16 million a year better than Decker at $8 million a year? That's another issue, and I don't think DT is that much better.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

23. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information