Thread: NHL team owners pondering whether Olympics are still worth it

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default NHL team owners pondering whether Olympics are still worth it

It was considered a no-brainer for the NHL about 20 years ago; the league needed as much exposure as it could get in the hyper- accelerated world of sports media, with sports vying for the ever-shortening attention spans of Americans.

Therefore, it was a must that NHL players venture to the Winter Olympics to spread the word of the "Coolest Game on Earth" — even if to a captive audience.

But now the NHL is much better positioned to choose how it exposes its brand. Gone are the days of punch line-inducing national television ratings numbers on second-tier networks and smart-aleck newspaper headlines such as "40-year-old rerun of 'Family Affair' beats Stanley Cup Finals in Arbitron numbers."
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/c...ether-olympics

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

frankly, it isn't worth it to the NHL or its owners.
    They get absolutely nothing out of it except for having to pay players while they are playing for another team and the chance of their players getting injured while playing for that team.
    Last edited by weazel; 02-28-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

3. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

all the same they better not pull the pros from the olympics.....Team USA would get destroyed!!!!!!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

5. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The NHL (and the NBA) is all about the post-season. If I watch either in the regular season, it was an accident.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    all the same they better not pull the pros from the olympics.....Team USA would get destroyed!!!!!!
    do not follow hockey all that much.

But seems that many of the Canadian and Russian players are from the NFL. that might level the playing field for all.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyseven View Post
    do not follow hockey all that much.

But seems that many of the Canadian and Russian players are from the NFL. that might level the playing field for all.
    actually.... it would hinder Canada and the USA the most. Russia and Sweden both have pro leagues that many good European players play in that they can draw players from those. Our best players play in the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

9. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    actually.... it would hinder Canada and the USA the most. Russia and Sweden both have pro leagues that many good European players play in that they can draw players from those. Our best players play in the NHL.
    thanks for the info.. worst case scenario we go back to losing a gold or silver every four years.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information