Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Baseball '14

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Default Fantasy Baseball '14

I'm in a 20-team league where we are allowed 2 keepers. I have to choose between Ian Desmond, Jose Bautista, Max Scherzer and Jose Fernandez.

Right now I'm leaning towards Desmond and Scherzer. Desmond is kind of sneaky productive and consistent - and I don't love the talent pool at SS, so he is a virtual certainty... Then for my next spot I think you could make a legitimate case for all three players. I'm inclined to keep Scherzer because it's tough to justify getting rid of the defending Cy Young winner in the prime of his career... But I can't shake the feeling that he may have peaked, whereas Jose Fernandez is going to be a stud for years to come... But he still pitches for the freaking Marlins, so it's tough to discount all the wins I'd be leaving on the table by taking him over Scherzer this year.

Bautista wore out his welcome with injuries and low batting average. Guy is still a stud, but he's too unreliable.

What do you guys think?

2. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I would actually take Fernandez over Scherzer. I dont think you get any more out of Scherzer than you got last year, but Fernandez can still get better. And he pitches in the N.L.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I would actually take Fernandez over Scherzer. I dont think you get any more out of Scherzer than you got last year, but Fernandez can still get better. And he pitches in the N.L.
    I sort of agree with that assessment. I just hate that he plays for the Marlins. I feel like I'm leaving 5+ wins on the table for at least the next couple seasons by taking Fernandez.

Fernandez WHIP and ERA might be off the charts good. But I feel like I'm probably downgrading Ks and Wins.

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

I have to disagree with CoachChaz. Sherzer has gradually grown throughout the years and he blew it up. With that Detroit offense, chances are Sherzer will be allowed to stay in games longer and finish strong (earning K's) and won't have the stress of putting the entire weight of the team on his back every time he's on the mound because he knows his team can produce. The environment is just better than the Marlin's. You have to consider Sherzer producing the same as last season or close to it versus Fernandez getting better, but not getting nearly the same outcomes because he has the weight and pressure of the team on his back.

6. The Following User High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

Anyone but Bautista IMO, one year older and more broken. I hope the Jays trade him this year too

Thanks MasterShake!!!

8. The Following User High Fived MileHighCrew For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Is wins a category?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by artie_dale View Post
    I have to disagree with CoachChaz. Sherzer has gradually grown throughout the years and he blew it up. With that Detroit offense, chances are Sherzer will be allowed to stay in games longer and finish strong (earning K's) and won't have the stress of putting the entire weight of the team on his back every time he's on the mound because he knows his team can produce. The environment is just better than the Marlin's. You have to consider Sherzer producing the same as last season or close to it versus Fernandez getting better, but not getting nearly the same outcomes because he has the weight and pressure of the team on his back.
    That's definitely another factor. Scherzer is going to get a ton of opportunities to go late in games and potentially get me a few complete games in addition to the wins.

I've heard the Marlins won't have Fernandez on an innings limit again, but it stands to reason that they will be cautious with him.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Is wins a category?
    Yes, this is a H2H Points by Category league and we count a ton of pitching categories... Ks, complete games, wins, losses, batting average against, ERA, whip.

Adopted Bronco:

I'm going based off the assumption that W-L record doesnt matter and that actual stats do. Regardless of the team, give Fernandez 40-50 more innings this year with a season under his belt and watch him tear it up. And is Detroit's line-up really still all that scary? Will Kinsler, Castellanos and Iglesias replace the production of Fielder, Infante and Peralta? Do Hunter and Martinez have much left in the tank at ages 35 and 39? That line-up has a lot of IF's

Just my opinion.

Adopted Bronco:

That's definitely another factor. Scherzer is going to get a ton of opportunities to go late in games and potentially get me a few complete games in addition to the wins.

I've heard the Marlins won't have Fernandez on an innings limit again, but it stands to reason that they will be cautious with him.

Yes, this is a H2H Points by Category league and we count a ton of pitching categories... Ks, complete games, wins, losses, batting average against, ERA, whip.
    I think this is a HUGE assumption

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I'd lean towards Scherzer because of the wins. But the. Again, I'm assuming you plan on being in this league for the foreseeable future, and Fernandez is probably more valuable in the long run, barring injury.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

14. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I think this is a HUGE assumption
    Yeah, well I guess I was thinking in relative terms... He was given quite a bit of rope last year, whereas Fernandez was kept on a very tight leash. Scherzer ended up with 214 innings and Fernandez with 172. Even with the Marlins not shutting Fernandez down, I could still see Scherzer getting 10-20 more innings.

Adopted Bronco:

I think wins is the only advantage I would give Scherzer.

Adopted Bronco:

Yeah, well I guess I was thinking in relative terms... He was given quite a bit of rope last year, whereas Fernandez was kept on a very tight leash. Scherzer ended up with 214 innings and Fernandez with 172. Even with the Marlins not shutting Fernandez down, I could still see Scherzer getting 10-20 more innings.
    I understand your point...but I still see Detroit and Scherzer regressing from last years numbers. And in a keeper league...I like Fernandez long term more than Scherzer.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I think wins is the only advantage I would give Scherzer.
    Yeah, the more I think about it the more I want to come to this same conclusion. But ESPN's projections have Scherzer coming in with a lower WHIP, lower BAA, more Ks, more wins, fewer walks.

But Fernandez could be so special that I don't want to end up kicking myself for letting him go... But I also don't want to kick myself for giving up the defending Cy Young award winner in his prime based on potential.

Adopted Bronco:

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I want to come to this same conclusion. But ESPN's projections have Scherzer coming in with a lower WHIP, lower BAA, more Ks, more wins, fewer walks.

But Fernandez could be so special that I don't want to end up kicking myself for letting him go... But I also don't want to kick myself for giving up the defending Cy Young award winner in his prime based on potential.
    Are you only allowed to keep one pitcher? If not, keep both of them and let Desmond walk.

20. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information