Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Baseball '14

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I think you're arguing semantics. In this case everyone's "round 1" pick is actually round 3, but it's still the first round of the draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    So do you have to use your keeper slots then? We are allowed to keep 2 guys and for the most part everyone does... But if you chose not to keep anybody then you would get a pick in the 1st and 2nd rounds, whereas if you have keepers then those count as your first two draft picks. Since I won last year I have the last draft pick #20. I just don't feel comfortable waiting until pick #60 to take my first hitter.
    Ok. Mine is run a little differently. We can keep 3 and the draft is the draft. However...if you release one of your keepers, you get comp picks after the round (after 1st for 1 player, another after 2nd for 2 players, and so on). But in order for them to qualify for comp picks, they have to have been kept for at least two seasons. Obviously, this wouldnt work with leagues that keep much more than 3, but for ours it seems to work out fine.

Adopted Bronco:

So did you draft all offense?

Those pitchers are kind of hot garbage. I'm of the opinion that you need an ace or two to anchor your rotation and then can stream waiver wire guys around them... But you need that anchor.
    The amount of aces available also depends on the amount of teams in the league. Any more than 15 and getting one ace is hard enough...let alone 2

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

So did you draft all offense?

Those pitchers are kind of hot garbage. I'm of the opinion that you need an ace or two to anchor your rotation and then can stream waiver wire guys around them... But you need that anchor.
    I took over a team of hot garbage two seasons ago, and with 12 keepers it's difficult. Whoever it was that originally drafted my team fubarred it. His early picks were Carl Crawford, Derek Jeter and Mariano. He came in second to last and then quit the league. The league manager asked me to take over for it and I've been trying to dig out of a hole since going in. I gambled with Josh Beckett, Daniel Hudson, Jaime Garcia and Edwin Jackson for starters in my first draft.

It's been a rough go, because I don't really have trade chips either.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Still agonizing over my Fernandez/Scherzer decision. Now I'm back to leaning towards Fernandez. The guy said a 1.95 ERA is his goal and he was freaking serious for crying out loud.

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

Still agonizing over my Fernandez/Scherzer decision. Now I'm back to leaning towards Fernandez. The guy said a 1.95 ERA is his goal and he was freaking serious for crying out loud.
    LOL. I hear ya. You just gotta decide on immediate success or plan for the future and which one is least riskier. I still personally think Sherzer will give you more success at present time and that Fernandez may not. If Fernandez was on a better team with a better offense, he'd be way less than a gamble.

Either way, you'll probably never feel 100% good about letting either one go, unless whoever you let go ends up having a season ending injury.

7. The Following User High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

OK...need some opinions. In my 20-team, 12-keeper league, I'm pondering Neil Walker. ESPN has him projected as the 21st best 2B this season, with two of those players being free agents in the league, so I know they will be available in the draft (Keepers aren't public before the keeper deadline).

I know Walker is an everyday starter at a position that isn't really deep. ESPN has him projected at 66 Runs, 15 HR, 65 RBI, 4 SB .274/.350/.433, and he finished last year 62 Runs, 16 HR, 53 RBI, 1 SB, .251/.339/.418. (Stat categories for weekly matchups are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG)

At this point, I'm keeping these position players:
    3B - Chase Headley
    SS - Erick Aybar
    OF - Carl Crawford
    OF - Alfonso Soriano

Thoughts?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:

OK...need some opinions. In my 20-team, 12-keeper league, I'm pondering Neil Walker. ESPN has him projected as the 21st best 2B this season, with two of those players being free agents in the league, so I know they will be available in the draft (Keepers aren't public before the keeper deadline).

I know Walker is an everyday starter at a position that isn't really deep. ESPN has him projected at 66 Runs, 15 HR, 65 RBI, 4 SB .274/.350/.433, and he finished last year 62 Runs, 16 HR, 53 RBI, 1 SB, .251/.339/.418. (Stat categories for weekly matchups are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG)

At this point, I'm keeping these position players:
    3B - Chase Headley
    SS - Erick Aybar
    OF - Carl Crawford
    OF - Alfonso Soriano

Thoughts?
    So, which players are you choosing between (if you don't keep Walker)? He seems pretty mediocre (like I mentioned earlier, I'm still learning my way back into the FBB).

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by artie_dale View Post
    So, which players are you choosing between (if you don't keep Walker)? He seems pretty mediocre (like I mentioned earlier, I'm still learning my way back into the FBB).
    If I throw Walker back to the draft I get an extra pick. So the debate is, can I get a better second baseman than Walker, despite how deep the league is?

Adopted Bronco:

If I throw Walker back to the draft I get an extra pick. So the debate is, can I get a better second baseman than Walker, despite how deep the league is?
    Tough call...unless you hit on a prospect or a young guy that breaks out

Adopted Bronco:

That is a tough one. Just gotta decide which one gives you the best opportunity to upgrade that position. If you keep him, chances are you won't upgrade the position. But, if you drop him, is the worst that can happy is you pick him right back up later?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Walker has chronic back problems. I had him on my team last year and ended up trading him. I'd throw him back and take your chances elsewhere... He can be productive when healthy, but he will almost certainly spend some time on the DL with a back injury. I'd rather take my chances on a healthy prospect.

Adopted Bronco:

There are definitely options in a 20 team league. Might not be someone a lot better than Walker, but at least as good

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I sorted ESPN's rankings with my league rules, and their preseason projections have him as the 21st first basemen. Those projections have a couple free agents in them and I know everyone won't keep a second basemen, so there is likely opportunity early in the draft to get a better second basemen.

So here's the second question. I drop him because I can get someone better with a higher draft pick. That kind of obligates my strategy to try my best draft second base early at that point, right?

Adopted Bronco:

I sorted ESPN's rankings with my league rules, and their preseason projections have him as the 21st first basemen. Those projections have a couple free agents in them and I know everyone won't keep a second basemen, so there is likely opportunity early in the draft to get a better second basemen.

So here's the second question. I drop him because I can get someone better with a higher draft pick. That kind of obligates my strategy to try my best draft second base early at that point, right?
    Not necessarily. If there are 19-20 second basemen better than Walker, you should have time to pick one up. I dont see too many teams picking up multiple 2Bmen early

Adopted Bronco:

I suggest just looking at one of two thing: 1) at your turn, is the best 2nd basemen "great", "good", "fair", or "crap"? If he's "great" or "good", then look at if there is anyone on the draft board at a position you can effectively upgrade. If so, and if you're willing to settle for another Walker, it could open the door to trade one of the players you upgrade with that pick to maybe upgrade the 2nd base position or settle for what you got and have a decent bench.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information