Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 146

Thread: Fantasy Baseball '14

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Yeah, the more I think about it the more I want to come to this same conclusion. But ESPN's projections have Scherzer coming in with a lower WHIP, lower BAA, more Ks, more wins, fewer walks.

    But Fernandez could be so special that I don't want to end up kicking myself for letting him go... But I also don't want to kick myself for giving up the defending Cy Young award winner in his prime based on potential.
    What about preseason trades? You trade Sherzer or Fernadez and a low pick for a a high pick and a joe shmoe player. You keep which ever one you don't trade and swap one of your low picks for a higher one while someone else upgrades their keepers.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Sergio Dipp
    Posts
    31,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Are you only allowed to keep one pitcher? If not, keep both of them and let Desmond walk.
    I'd considered doing that too... But in a 20-team league where most of the owners value offense over pitching, it would set me back too much to go pitcher-pitcher with my first two picks. I can more easily find pitching value on the waiver wire than I can hitters.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Sergio Dipp
    Posts
    31,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artie_dale View Post
    What about preseason trades? You trade Sherzer or Fernadez and a low pick for a a high pick and a joe shmoe player. You keep which ever one you don't trade and swap one of your low picks for a higher one while someone else upgrades their keepers.
    This is actually a big debate in our league right now. Some other team just did that by trading Buster Posey and Dustin Pedroia for Adam Jones and there is a big uproar about whether it's fair to trade your non-keepers in a league with only 2 keepers. But that's a good idea and something I'm looking at.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peyton, Colorado
    Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    This is actually a big debate in our league right now. Some other team just did that by trading Buster Posey and Dustin Pedroia for Adam Jones and there is a big uproar about whether it's fair to trade your non-keepers in a league with only 2 keepers. But that's a good idea and something I'm looking at.
    Sounds like some butts are sore. A trade is a trade and people trade to upgrade their rosters and people with great rosters can afford to give up players in order to upgrade their draft strategy. Both get upgrades, both benefit. It's a little riskier for the one trading a higher draft pick but that's also a perk for the guy who kicked butt in putting his roster together in the first place. I say BOO HOO to anyone who gripes about that.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bey Bey
    Posts
    77,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    This is actually a big debate in our league right now. Some other team just did that by trading Buster Posey and Dustin Pedroia for Adam Jones and there is a big uproar about whether it's fair to trade your non-keepers in a league with only 2 keepers. But that's a good idea and something I'm looking at.
    If the other owner is willing to do it, I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

    I'm in a 20 team league with full 25-man rosters, but we can keep up to 12 players. Lots of trades happen in the offseason.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    So many of my posts are genius I forget them
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I wasn't being especially serious, I just thought you were retarded enough that your comment was genuine

  6. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:


  7. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    23,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I'd considered doing that too... But in a 20-team league where most of the owners value offense over pitching, it would set me back too much to go pitcher-pitcher with my first two picks. I can more easily find pitching value on the waiver wire than I can hitters.
    Ok...so you dont already have these players. In my keeper league, the draft does not include kept players.

  8. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Sergio Dipp
    Posts
    31,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artie_dale View Post
    Sounds like some butts are sore. A trade is a trade and people trade to upgrade their rosters and people with great rosters can afford to give up players in order to upgrade their draft strategy. Both get upgrades, both benefit. It's a little riskier for the one trading a higher draft pick but that's also a perk for the guy who kicked butt in putting his roster together in the first place. I say BOO HOO to anyone who gripes about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    If the other owner is willing to do it, I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

    I'm in a 20 team league with full 25-man rosters, but we can keep up to 12 players. Lots of trades happen in the offseason.
    I actually have given it a lot of thought and I think it basically amounts to collusion between two owners at the expense of the rest of the league.

    It undercuts the spirit of the 2-keeper rule. The whole idea behind only having two keepers is that teams have to break up their stock pile of talent so that it goes back into the draft pool. And technically those players shouldn't even be on their rosters after last season because they are non-keepers. So I think they should be forced to make those trades the previous season or not at all.

    But I could see how someone could argue that those players are ours to do whatever with until the draft.

  9. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Sergio Dipp
    Posts
    31,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Ok...so you dont already have these players. In my keeper league, the draft does not include kept players.
    I don't follow what you're saying here...

  10. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bey Bey
    Posts
    77,960

    Default

    I've kind of just survived doing the waiver wire thing in my league. I played the numbers with lesser guys who got hot for a season. It worked out pretty well last year and I nearly made the playoffs, but I don't think it's going to win a title.

    Of course with 12 keepers it can be difficult to nab any high end pitchers.

    Right now my pitching staff is Jarrod Parker, Mark Buehrle, Derek Holland, Felix Doubrant, Mike Leake, Jorge de la Rosa, Dillon Gee, Ross Ohlendorf, Huston Street, Mariano Rivera, Joe Smith, Neal Cotts and Bobby Parnell.

    I think I'm only keeping Parker, Holland and Gee.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    So many of my posts are genius I forget them
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I wasn't being especially serious, I just thought you were retarded enough that your comment was genuine

  11. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    23,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't follow what you're saying here...
    We can keep players year over year. Then we draft from there with all other eligible players. So, if I already had Scherzer and Fernandez as keepers from last year...I could focus my draft on offense. I wouldnt have to spend my first 2 picks on players I already kept

  12. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    23,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I've kind of just survived doing the waiver wire thing in my league. I played the numbers with lesser guys who got hot for a season. It worked out pretty well last year and I nearly made the playoffs, but I don't think it's going to win a title.

    Of course with 12 keepers it can be difficult to nab any high end pitchers.

    Right now my pitching staff is Jarrod Parker, Mark Buehrle, Derek Holland, Felix Doubrant, Mike Leake, Jorge de la Rosa, Dillon Gee, Ross Ohlendorf, Huston Street, Mariano Rivera, Joe Smith, Neal Cotts and Bobby Parnell.

    I think I'm only keeping Parker, Holland and Gee.
    Holland is out half the season

  13. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bey Bey
    Posts
    77,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Holland is out half the season
    I know. I have IR spots.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    So many of my posts are genius I forget them
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I wasn't being especially serious, I just thought you were retarded enough that your comment was genuine

  14. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bey Bey
    Posts
    77,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    We can keep players year over year. Then we draft from there with all other eligible players. So, if I already had Scherzer and Fernandez as keepers from last year...I could focus my draft on offense. I wouldnt have to spend my first 2 picks on players I already kept
    I think you're arguing semantics. In this case everyone's "round 1" pick is actually round 3, but it's still the first round of the draft.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    So many of my posts are genius I forget them
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I wasn't being especially serious, I just thought you were retarded enough that your comment was genuine

  15. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Sergio Dipp
    Posts
    31,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    We can keep players year over year. Then we draft from there with all other eligible players. So, if I already had Scherzer and Fernandez as keepers from last year...I could focus my draft on offense. I wouldnt have to spend my first 2 picks on players I already kept
    So do you have to use your keeper slots then? We are allowed to keep 2 guys and for the most part everyone does... But if you chose not to keep anybody then you would get a pick in the 1st and 2nd rounds, whereas if you have keepers then those count as your first two draft picks. Since I won last year I have the last draft pick #20. I just don't feel comfortable waiting until pick #60 to take my first hitter.

  16. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:


  17. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Sergio Dipp
    Posts
    31,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I've kind of just survived doing the waiver wire thing in my league. I played the numbers with lesser guys who got hot for a season. It worked out pretty well last year and I nearly made the playoffs, but I don't think it's going to win a title.

    Of course with 12 keepers it can be difficult to nab any high end pitchers.

    Right now my pitching staff is Jarrod Parker, Mark Buehrle, Derek Holland, Felix Doubrant, Mike Leake, Jorge de la Rosa, Dillon Gee, Ross Ohlendorf, Huston Street, Mariano Rivera, Joe Smith, Neal Cotts and Bobby Parnell.

    I think I'm only keeping Parker, Holland and Gee.
    So did you draft all offense?

    Those pitchers are kind of hot garbage. I'm of the opinion that you need an ace or two to anchor your rotation and then can stream waiver wire guys around them... But you need that anchor.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. '13 Fantasy Baseball
    By Buff in forum Fantasy Sports
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 10:42 PM
  2. Fantasy Baseball '12
    By Thnikkaman in forum Fantasy Sports
    Replies: 191
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group