Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Regarding Michael Sam Thread and Overlap of Politics/Sports/Religion

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I want to see Sam on a Sports Illustrated centerfold.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

They should just start GaySPN and have a gay sports channel. Then they can discuss and celebrate all they want and leave hetero sports to the main channels. Fill it with WNBA and LPGA. I'd be perfectly fine with that. Chris Matthews can host it.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm with you on this UA. I would be interested in seeing what Tned and/or a mod have to say on this.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Tonights Local TV sports broadcast had this lead in to the Sports: "Tonight on Sports, the first openly gay football player makes his debut ,history is being made tonight in the NBA and closing ceremonies of the sochi olympics".. such is the sports world , whether you like it or not

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'm with you on this UA. I would be interested in seeing what Tned and/or a mod have to say on this.
    A couple thoughts.

1. First, this wasn't the first time or unprecedented. We don't move a lot of threads from BT or football to politics, but have moved some. Earlier in the month a thread on marijuana was moved. It was a video of First Take where Ryan Clark from Pitt talked about how most players in NFL were using MJ and Stephen Smith went on a rant about how they only use "medical" as an excuse. The reason the thread was moved was that it didn't become a discussion about MJ use in the NFL, but instead a debate about why Marijauna should be legal, how the law is outdated and based on false info, etc. Other than the video posted and maybe a couple posts, the thread had nothing to do with the NFL, and was the standard political argument about whether or not MJ should be legal.

2. When it comes to this rare, but not unprecedented, action, and whether we continue to in some cases move threads to opt in forums will really come down to what the community wants and the feedback/discussions in threads like this.

Historically, when someone in a thread has started to cross the line and post highly political/polarizing things (such as slams against the President or a party, MJ legalization, etc) we take one of two actions. Either the poster or posters comments are deleted and typically a warning given (public or private) or if it is so pervasive in the thread, that the thread morphed into more of political/religious discussion, then the thread is moved, rather than delete large portions of the thread.

Ultimately it's a judgement call by the mod, based on the understanding that the community doesn't want non P&R threads becoming full of P&R related posts.

Unfortunately, the reason that many sites simply forbid P&R related posts/topics and others have opt-in or otherwise special forums for these topics is because the topics are typically so polarizing that even normally good posters become rude and/or show no self control when engaging in discussions on P&R topics.

Again, ultimately, it comes down to what the community at large wants, so the more people that chime in on this discussion the better.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

That particular thread was onwards of being towards the middle of the thread before it was moved. When it stuck to the player it stayed in football, when it became more of an argument over gays in the lockerroom and personal feelings of that is when it was moved. Some people don't want those discussions in regular football forums. It's good to have these conversations to get a feel of the lines people want drawn. What is good where. And the thing to remember is we will never please everyone all the time, but we try our best.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    That particular thread was onwards of being towards the middle of the thread before it was moved. When it stuck to the player it stayed in football, when it became more of an argument over gays in the lockerroom and personal feelings of that is when it was moved. Some people don't want those discussions in regular football forums. It's good to have these conversations to get a feel of the lines people want drawn. What is good where. And the thing to remember is we will never please everyone all the time, but we try our best.
    IMO, the fact that it was talking about the locker room aspect still made it football-related. I think as long as the discussion was contained in that thread, it's fine to keep in Broncos talk. Now if every draft thread were to be taken over by that then I could see where it would be an issue, but as long as it's just in that one thread I think it would be easy enough for anyone to ignore that topic if they didn't want to partake.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    IMO, the fact that it was talking about the locker room aspect still made it football-related. I think as long as the discussion was contained in that thread, it's fine to keep in Broncos talk. Now if every draft thread were to be taken over by that then I could see where it would be an issue, but as long as it's just in that one thread I think it would be easy enough for anyone to ignore that topic if they didn't want to partake.
    Go back and read the last few pages. It should really be in the Lounge at this point. BTW, he had a terrible combine. Hope the band wagoners see that.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Go back and read the last few pages. It should really be in the Lounge at this point.
    You could almost say that about any thread on this board that winds up being as long as that one!

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

TS does have a point. You guys are kinda jumpy on moving, locking or deleting threads. Maybe let things play out a little longer....hey at least it keeps the forums active and that's what we want right?

Still......the comments are funny.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Bumping them 2 months later keeps them active too lol.

15. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information