Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Michael Sam Thread and Overlap of Politics/Sports/Religion

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Hell no, players don't want an openly gay guy looking at them naked in the lockerroom. But they are going to say it doesn't bother them to avoid public shaming from the PC crowd and the NFL (who is scared shitless of the situation)
    This is why I wanna see who will Draft him, I think the majority of teams will steer clear, regardless of talent.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    This is why I wanna see who will Draft him, I think the majority of teams will steer clear, regardless of talent.
    Its a lawsuit waiting to happen.

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Can we move this to the P&R section?

6. The Following 6 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

If people thought Tebow was polarizing, they aint seen nothin yet. This is really a divisive issue. People are getting into fights over this. People on both sides of the issue are being called derogatory terms. Does a team really want to take on this distraction?
    With the draft 3 months away, there will be no shortage of Michael Sam coverage between now and then. The media is already in love with him. This is different than the Manti Teo story. This Sam story aint going away any time soon.

8. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Regarding the Michael Sam thread. He is a homosexual.

He said so himself. That is all.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Teams most likely to draft Michael Sam:

1. San Francisco 49ers - Natural community outreach role.
    2. New England Patriots - Ditto, except Belichick might also turn the guy into an All-Pro.
    3. Dallas Cowboys - Because Jerry Jones loves headline-grabbing controversy.
    4. Washington Redskins - What better way to shame the name nazis than to turn the tables and accuse them of homophobia?

Teams least likely to draft Michael Sam:

1. Miami Dolphins - "Mr. Sam, meet Mr. Incognito..."
    2. San Diego Chargers - "Mr. Te'o, meet Mr. Sam..."
    3. Green Bay Packers - Nobody wants to hear those gay "packer" jokes, thank you.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

I would still like for the moderator who moved the thread or for Tned to comment here as this is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed before we have multiple football related threads moved into an opt-in section. There are other ongoing political issues in sports such as: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/...of-racial-slur that come up all the time. Why is the Michael Sam thread an exception?

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    I Why is the Michael Sam thread an exception?
    Probably because where the discussion took it. Had the thread still remained on the topic of football i dont think they would have moved it but because the discussion ventured into gay rights, etc it got moved accordingly. I would bet that if the thread about racial slurs starts going into a more political direction it will probably get moved as well. The only way a Michael Sam thread can really stay in the main forum is if the thread stays on the topic of his football ability.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Probably because where the discussion took it. Had the thread still remained on the topic of football i dont think they would have moved it but because the discussion ventured into gay rights, etc it got moved accordingly. I would bet that if the thread about racial slurs starts going into a more political direction it will probably get moved as well. The only way a Michael Sam thread can really stay in the main forum is if the thread stays on the topic of his football ability.
    That's inconsistent with the way other threads are treated and have been treated in the past. And if the new policy is "if the thread goes in a political direction it will be moved", it needs to change immediately. Sports and politics intersect way too frequently for legitimate discussion topics to be moved to an opt-in section typically reserved for election/partisan/conspiracy theorist nonsense.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    That's inconsistent with the way other threads are treated and have been treated in the past. And if the new policy is "if the thread goes in a political direction it will be moved", it needs to change immediately. Sports and politics intersect way too frequently for legitimate discussion topics to be moved to an opt-in section typically reserved for election/partisan/conspiracy theorist nonsense.
    Yes and no.

In the case of the Michael Sam thread it became all about his sexual orientation/coming out and less to do with football. I think in that case when that happens you really have no choice but to move it. Its one thing if people were still talking a lot about his athletic ability and what not but when 90% of the thread is about showering i just cant see the logic in keeping a thread like that there. I really dont think its even a new policy so much as a judgement call by the moderators depending on the direction the thread goes. Not every thread that mixes politics with sports gets moved as there were still quite a few Tebow threads that never got moved to P&R. My only suggestion is if you want to talk about Sam the football player be sure to stress that when starting a thread on him come draft time or whatever. This way the mods can get the thread back on topic should it veer off in another direction that you dont want it too go in.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Actually, the Michael Sam thread is the first football thread I've ever seen moved to P&R and I've been part of the boards since 2007. I will find it very troubling if this starts to become the policy/pattern here. That's why I posted this thread to begin with. But I do see what you're saying with the "90% of the discussion" point, but where do you draw the line of "locker room culture" with politics? Locker room culture is very much a legitimate part of football discussion.

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Does a mod wait for a complaint before they move threads?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Thank you for moving the Sam thread.

If you want political issues such as homosexuality -- and it IS a political issue, as
    well as a moral one -- mixed into a football forum, then go to ItsAllOverFatMan.com.
    They don't mind at all putting their political dissertations into the football forum. In
    fact, I'm not sure they know the difference. However, just don't voice your
    opposition to homosexuality. They'll ban you. I know.

As for here, I prefer that the football forums be reserved for football issues. Period.
    And homosexuality is not a football issue.
    Last edited by topscribe; 02-22-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

24. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

I wish homosexuality wasnt a football issue, but Sam on the cover of sports illustrated implies otherwise

26. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    I wish homosexuality wasnt a football issue, but Sam on the cover of sports illustrated implies otherwise
    He's news. SI is all about news.

And sexy calendar girls . . .
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information