Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: FA Daryl Smith-ILB Ravens

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post

He is a beast against the run.
    Our d-line did awesome against the run. We need a leader who has speed and not a liability in the passing game. Teams pass a lot against Broncos which would neutralize Irving. Yes he can stuff run but that is all I have seen. Can he get to QB on a blitz or cover a TE?

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Default Broncos Interested in MLb Smith of Ravens

I like it. He already knows JDRs system. The guy can still bring it. Under the right contract.....good move imo.

http://milehighmaniac.com/2014/02/16...m_medium=email
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    I like it. He already knows JDRs system. The guy can still bring it. Under the right contract.....good move imo.

http://milehighmaniac.com/2014/02/16...m_medium=email
    I've always kinda liked him. He's nothing special, but seems solid. I'd be happy with him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Man, where to start? This thread is all over the place.

Irving has had three years to make an impact, two if you discard his time injured. And I am pretty sure the Broncos are looking at the fact that Danny Trevathan a 6th Round Pick in 2012 came on after one year season to break into the starting lineup of the linebacker corps., a corps. I might add that in all honesty other then Miller was feeble to a point. Irving isn't going anywhere just yet, he'll play out his rookie contract but I suspect that Denver is not looking to pencil him in as the starter at the middle position. The Broncos saw a huge shift in the play of the defense once Paris Lenon took over. While I believe Irving has the tools, I believe he lacks in certain skills that make a Mike linebacker successful at this level. He'll likely get the chance to challenge at the position, but that is where I think this hoopla ends. You got to love the optimism of our fans though, so many of us believe that because they don a Broncos jersey that they're more then meets the eye (pun intended), we can go back over the past decade and find fans clamoring for certain players to be starters at certain positions, even when they prove they are not up to the standard.

Regarding the whole Jared Allen debate, Allen will not be coming to Denver in my honest opinion. According to the NFLN, Shaun Phillips and the Denver Broncos are currently working out a contract and unless there is a snag or Phillips' agent is asking too much then I don't see Denver making a move on the likes of Allen when he'll likely cost double what Phillips will with all his accolades. Phillips is not a long-term answer and is capable, Allen is better overall as a playmaker and athlete, but he'll be in high demand despite his age and his price tag in comparison to Phillips. The Broncos are also pretty high on Quanterus Smith who should be ready to go and will likely play behind Phillips. Denver might look at Free Agent Defensive Ends, but more then likely for depth unless Wolfe is worse off then we believe, and if that is the case Denver will likely sign a veteran and draft someone to boot. I wouldn't mind if Denver brought in Allen, I just don't see Elway worrying about the defensive line to that extent nor dishing out money for two sack artists in the same off-season.

As to Daryl Smith, I could see the Broncos bringing him in. It makes sense in a lot of ways and there is the player-coach connection that should be watched for. He knows the position, he's an immediate upgrade and has the leadership qualities that we've been lacking. It will really depends on if he wants to come here, his family calls Baltimore home and he'll likely return to the Ravens at discount then take a bigger contract at this point in his career instead of taking a job away from his family or even relocating them. The only way I could see this happening is if the Ravens only offer him another one year deal and the Broncos offer him a contract that is two to three years in length. Just my opinion of course, but those are factors that could come into play. Even if Smith could be lured away, I believe the Broncos have to draft someone to groom behind him and be his eventual successor or they may draft the next starting Mike outright instead of overspending on a veteran or giving Irving the spot without earning it due to lack of bodies.

5. The Following User High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

The title of the thread is misleading, the headline says interested in while the report said could be.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Repost
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Speculation

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

No offense but if Denver is not interested in Allen they're in denial, any DE for that matter. They have clear and obvious pass rush issues that Phillips can't, and didn't, solve on his own and he simply can not be the reason the Broncos ignore the position. The Broncos were interested in Allen before the deadline last season, and that's with a healthy Von Miller and Phillips, the hang up was Allen's cap number, not the notion that they were set at the position.

Quanteris Smith helps, in theory, but let's say he is healthy and ready to contribute, it's a huge leap of faith to suggest he's the opening day starter. The Broncos don't even have a starter at the position.

Personally, I like the idea of signing Lamarr Houston to play RDE in base defense, moving him around in sub packages to make room for Smith and Phillips coming off the bench.

Granted that's a real pie-in-the-sky scenario but this is Dream Season. Speaking of which, if Denver thinks they're even close to where they need at DE they're dreaming.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Think I'm experiencing deja vu. I've seen this before somewhere.....

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

The more pass rushers, the better. Similar to what SEA did to us, gotta keep em' coming in waves.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Our d-line did awesome against the run. We need a leader who has speed and not a liability in the passing game. Teams pass a lot against Broncos which would neutralize Irving. Yes he can stuff run but that is all I have seen. Can he get to QB on a blitz or cover a TE?
    It will neutralize most middle linebackers. There just aren't that many Luke Kuechlys out there who by the way was a top ten pick.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    Man, where to start? This thread is all over the place.

Irving has had three years to make an impact, two if you discard his time injured. And I am pretty sure the Broncos are looking at the fact that Danny Trevathan a 6th Round Pick in 2012 came on after one year season to break into the starting lineup of the linebacker corps., a corps. I might add that in all honesty other then Miller was feeble to a point. Irving isn't going anywhere just yet, he'll play out his rookie contract but I suspect that Denver is not looking to pencil him in as the starter at the middle position. The Broncos saw a huge shift in the play of the defense once Paris Lenon took over. While I believe Irving has the tools, I believe he lacks in certain skills that make a Mike linebacker successful at this level. He'll likely get the chance to challenge at the position, but that is where I think this hoopla ends. You got to love the optimism of our fans though, so many of us believe that because they don a Broncos jersey that they're more then meets the eye (pun intended), we can go back over the past decade and find fans clamoring for certain players to be starters at certain positions, even when they prove they are not up to the standard.

Regarding the whole Jared Allen debate, Allen will not be coming to Denver in my honest opinion. According to the NFLN, Shaun Phillips and the Denver Broncos are currently working out a contract and unless there is a snag or Phillips' agent is asking too much then I don't see Denver making a move on the likes of Allen when he'll likely cost double what Phillips will with all his accolades. Phillips is not a long-term answer and is capable, Allen is better overall as a playmaker and athlete, but he'll be in high demand despite his age and his price tag in comparison to Phillips. The Broncos are also pretty high on Quanterus Smith who should be ready to go and will likely play behind Phillips. Denver might look at Free Agent Defensive Ends, but more then likely for depth unless Wolfe is worse off then we believe, and if that is the case Denver will likely sign a veteran and draft someone to boot. I wouldn't mind if Denver brought in Allen, I just don't see Elway worrying about the defensive line to that extent nor dishing out money for two sack artists in the same off-season.

As to Daryl Smith, I could see the Broncos bringing him in. It makes sense in a lot of ways and there is the player-coach connection that should be watched for. He knows the position, he's an immediate upgrade and has the leadership qualities that we've been lacking. It will really depends on if he wants to come here, his family calls Baltimore home and he'll likely return to the Ravens at discount then take a bigger contract at this point in his career instead of taking a job away from his family or even relocating them. The only way I could see this happening is if the Ravens only offer him another one year deal and the Broncos offer him a contract that is two to three years in length. Just my opinion of course, but those are factors that could come into play. Even if Smith could be lured away, I believe the Broncos have to draft someone to groom behind him and be his eventual successor or they may draft the next starting Mike outright instead of overspending on a veteran or giving Irving the spot without earning it due to lack of bodies.
    IIRC Denver's plan for Phillips wasn't to have on the field as much as they were forced to by circumstance.

Phillips being signed wouldn't have much to do with signing Allen because I don't see Phillips getting a huge contract even though he had 10 sacks. That said, I still agree with you that I don't see Denver making offer for him. But my thought is based on how Elway has handled free agency since he took over as V.P of player personnel. Manning is only truly high profile player that he went after in free agency. Everyone else pretty much second tier.

I'm not so sure that will give up on Irving just yet.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    No offense but if Denver is not interested in Allen they're in denial, any DE for that matter. They have clear and obvious pass rush issues that Phillips can't, and didn't, solve on his own and he simply can not be the reason the Broncos ignore the position. The Broncos were interested in Allen before the deadline last season, and that's with a healthy Von Miller and Phillips, the hang up was Allen's cap number, not the notion that they were set at the position.

Quanteris Smith helps, in theory, but let's say he is healthy and ready to contribute, it's a huge leap of faith to suggest he's the opening day starter. The Broncos don't even have a starter at the position.

Personally, I like the idea of signing Lamarr Houston to play RDE in base defense, moving him around in sub packages to make room for Smith and Phillips coming off the bench.

Granted that's a real pie-in-the-sky scenario but this is Dream Season. Speaking of which, if Denver thinks they're even close to where they need at DE they're dreaming.
    I don't disagree with you very often, buddy -- in fact, we think alike more often
    than I care to imagine. lol

But, frankly, Jared Allen doesn't interest me. I'm not enthralled by bringing in a DE
    who is as old as I am. His skills have diminished, and Phillips proved to be a far
    better all around player than Allen this last year, IMO.

In that interest, we have two starting DEs: Ayers and Phillips. The Broncos aren't
    going to find a better run-stopper at the position than Ayers, IMO, and Phillips is
    a pretty good pass rusher and decent against the run.

What is needed is for Von Miller to return as his old svelte, 240 lb. self. With his
    presence, Philips, Malik Jackson, Q. Smith, and Ayers will suddenly become better
    pass rushers, as well as Knighton and Williams inside. Just the return of Miller will
    vault Denver's pass rush to the upper echelon of the league, IMO.

I just don't see the defensive line as an urgency, pending Miller's health, of course.
    I believe the Broncos may be better served by concentrating primarily on MLB and
    safety, and OT/OG on the other side of the line.

Just my thoughts -- but with an open mind.
    Last edited by topscribe; 02-18-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    IIRC Denver's plan for Phillips wasn't to have on the field as much as they were forced to by circumstance.

Phillips being signed wouldn't have much to do with signing Allen because I don't see Phillips getting a huge contract even though he had 10 sacks. That said, I still agree with you that I don't see Denver making offer for him. But my thought is based on how Elway has handled free agency since he took over as V.P of player personnel. Manning is only truly high profile player that he went after in free agency. Everyone else pretty much second tier.

Irving is valuable as a quality backup at Sam and on STs. I don't see him as the
    stud in the middle that the Broncos need. I believe they would be better served
    by going after Smith in FA (probably unlikely) or Kyle Van Noy or (preferably)
    Ryan Shazier in the draft. They really need an enforcer in the middle.

But I don't see Irving going anywhere. It seems to me that he's proven himself
    as a viable cog in the defense and on STs.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post

I disagree with ya there buddy. Vasquez is/was not a 2nd tier fa...he was the 2nd best OL on the market behind Levitre- and we went after him too. Those are both the top two at that position. Then manning we know, but DRC had one bad year after being traded. Its not like he was a journey man or anything. He made the probowl with the cards and was one of the big bargaining pieces in the trade.

We went after Rashard Mendenhall who was one of the top backs (but we missed on him).
    Wes Welker is aboslutely a top tier FA.

So I would say he definitely does and has locked up 3 top tier free agents.

Lan- I strongly think we go after allen. We went hard after him at trade deadline and Ian Rappaport has already reported we are looking again. He makes perfect sense for this team and while a lot are high on Q Smith (im not sold yet but thats another matter) Q has zero run stuffing ability. He can rush the passer great but nothing against the run. Allen is Beastly at both.

IF we get allen smith and a wr like James Jones...I would be fine with that and moving straight to the draft.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information