Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Forecast: Denver Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Offseason Forecast: Denver Broncos

What's Changing?

A haggard but still fiery John Elway said Tuesday that he's going to continue to shape his roster as if Peyton Manning will be the quarterback. The Broncos can survive the loss of a couple of key free agents on offense, but they have to add speed and physicality on defense. With a few tweaks, this team will remain AFC favorites. The real trick is finding a formula that will allow them to hang with the NFC's superpowers.
    Biggest Free Agents

» WR Eric Decker: An excellent second fiddle to Demaryius Thomas, Decker is expected to seek No. 1 receiver money. The Broncos plan to let Decker come back to them with his best offer on the open market, per NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

» CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: The MVP of Denver's secondary, Rodgers-Cromartie turned his career around as one of the NFL's top cover corners in 2013. With one last cash grab imminent, DRC is no longer talking nonsense about retirement.
    rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...denver-broncos

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

They should just give DRC a contract before he hits the market. As for Decker just see what kind of offers he is getting then maybe offer him a little less.

If its 7-8 mill he is demanding then he's most likely gone. This draft is stacked with WRs ...so round 4 or later might be a good time to find his replacement.

Sucks because I like Decker and think he's better for this team long term than Wes Welker.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

4. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Elway has a lot of tough decisions to make this offseason. Broncos fans, take solace in the fact that he played the free-agent market as well as anyone last year.
    Indeed. He (and his drunken cohorts) did a tremendous job last spring/summer putting a team around Manning. Had it stayed healthier on defense, it might have been good enough to take the Lombardi Trophy. I may not agree with all the moves they'll make but most will probably turn out well. How well is the real question and how many more tries will we get with Manning?
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

For me, one of our offseason targets should be Vincent Rey from the Bengals. The guy killed it in relief of Maualuga and I don't even know why they didn't start him when Maualuga came back off injure at LEAST in the nickel packages. The guy was a tackle and cover monster imo.

In a single game against Baltimore, the man had 15 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 passes defensed and an interception. You just don't have games like that when you can't play.

Fluid in coverage, the guy is 250 lbs and 6 feet. Before you mock his height, take a look at his production. The guy is a baller.

Champ I like at free safety and second string corner. Get Cromartie back if we can, there are a few high profile corners out there to be had as well. Grimes, Talib, Cromartie......there are a few others as well.

Decker at the right price...Woodyard I hope gets a good payday, but he was outplayed and thats part of the game....he lost his spot. If we got Rey to fill his shoes going into the draft I would be stoked.

At RB, Im wondering if the Texans are going to hold on to Foster. Injuries could have easily turned their stomachs when they now look at his pay.

Rey is a restricted FA, but worth a third if he got tendered there for sure imo.

If we can somehow get another pass rusher on the Dline......like Hardy......that would be a killer FA signing. Will we? Probably not.....but I hear he won't be franchised so its going to be open season.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I think Champ should play the nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    For me, one of our offseason targets should be Vincent Rey from the Bengals. The guy killed it in relief of Maualuga and I don't even know why they didn't start him when Maualuga came back off injure at LEAST in the nickel packages. The guy was a tackle and cover monster imo.

In a single game against Baltimore, the man had 15 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 passes defensed and an interception. You just don't have games like that when you can't play.

Fluid in coverage, the guy is 250 lbs and 6 feet. Before you mock his height, take a look at his production. The guy is a baller.

Champ I like at free safety and second string corner. Get Cromartie back if we can, there are a few high profile corners out there to be had as well. Grimes, Talib, Cromartie......there are a few others as well.

Decker at the right price...Woodyard I hope gets a good payday, but he was outplayed and thats part of the game....he lost his spot. If we got Rey to fill his shoes going into the draft I would be stoked.

At RB, Im wondering if the Texans are going to hold on to Foster. Injuries could have easily turned their stomachs when they now look at his pay.

Rey is a restricted FA, but worth a third if he got tendered there for sure imo.

If we can somehow get another pass rusher on the Dline......like Hardy......that would be a killer FA signing. Will we? Probably not.....but I hear he won't be franchised so its going to be open season.
    How does all that fit inside a 10-maybe 15 million cap.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I think Champ should play the nickel.
    At a steeply reduced price I'd be all for that.

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by luckyseven View Post
    How does all that fit inside a 10-maybe 15 million cap.

First i think we will have more than that before all is said and done with rollover, cutting contracts and renegotiating contracts.

Champ will take a pay cut that will help us out. Kuper and Tamme or Dressen will probably be gone or have their contracts reduced.

Besides, 10-15 million can go a long ways if structured right.

We can do a lot.........but whether we take it to the limit or not will be up to the head honcho...Elway.

My thought is he will repeat last years performance making key signings while leaving a little to rollover. If

not that, i think he will take it to the doorstep of using all our available cap space because we are so close.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

13. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

First i think we will have more than that before all is said and done with rollover, cutting contracts and renegotiating contracts.

Champ will take a pay cut that will help us out. Kuper and Tamme or Dressen will probably be gone or have their contracts reduced.

We can do a lot.........but whether we take it to the limit or not will be up to the head honcho...Elway.

My thought is he will repeat last years performance making key signings while leaving a little to rollover. If

not that, i think he will take it to the doorstep of using all our available cap space because we are so close.
    I doubt Elway will take it to the doorstep he'll leave a little room.

Elway has made it clear his long term goal is to keep Denver in contention year in and year out and not to sell out for one season.

I tend to think you are correct. But needed to put it out there, so many think that there are unlimited wish lists.

Even with cuts or restructures there is always some dead cap money that has to be figured in.
    Kuper is gone he was only kept last year because cutting him cost as much as keeping him, and he was a warm body in case he was needed.
    Tamme IMO will be back at a reduced rate because he is a proven TE that can play both facets of the game catch and block something that JT is not up to speed on. Dresson much the same. IF JT becomes a better blocker then one will go away.
    As for Champ, I'm not all that sure he will take a pay cut, something called pride. I suspect he will hang them up before doing that, especially with rumors of him being forced to FS.

Maybe he will realize he owes the team for carrying him last year, but he may just want to walk away.

But the bottom line is what may go to 20+ million really equates to about 10 because since before Shanahan left Bolwen seems to want 10-12 million as cushion going into the season. Much like being able to carry over 5-6 from last year.

Should be an interesting offseason.

I doubt Elway will take it to the doorstep he'll leave a little room.

Elway has made it clear his long term goal is to keep Denver in contention year in and year out and not to sell out for one season.
    With this I agree, but I beleive it is more of a mandate from Bolwen, spend what you have to but do not waste money, like in the past.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

No way the Panthers let Hardy go but boy would that be tits! I'd like to think Fox at least has some kind of relationship to call on.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by luckyseven View Post
    With this I agree, but I beleive it is more of a mandate from Bolwen, spend what you have to but do not waste money, like in the past.
    You think Bowlen is going to demand that Elway burn all his cap space room for one or two shots at the Super Bowl title?
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 02-17-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

You think Bowlen is going demand that Elway burn all his cap space room for one or two shots at the Super Bowl title?
    I really don't think it works that way. Could be wrong.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

20. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
    I really don't think it works that way. Could be wrong.
    It hasn't for sure Bowlen case.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information