Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey open to moving to safety

Not sure if this has been posted. I'm mobile and I didn't see it posted.

Last week, Bailey was asked if he would consider moving to safety, a position traditionally a retirement home for cornerbacks.

"I'm not going to move anywhere anytime soon," he said.

Sunday night, Bailey had a different answer when asked the same question.

"If it makes sense," Bailey said. "It's something I'd definitely look into."
    Read more:*Champ Bailey no champ this time, but will return for Broncos, he says - The Denver Post*http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ixzz2sJPr9bev*

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

He needs to take a pay cut first. Free or strong safety though?
    In Elway We Trust

4. The Following User High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

OB

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

I only watched him on a few plays last night, but what I saw was champ trying hard to catch up and looking real slow. Maybe he would be a good safety. His leadership is always an asset. If he stays, I guess thats a good thing

I really think he's done. This move if it was going to be made should have happened years ago. Too late now. Bailey just looks like he is always getting torched.

Are we talking safety at 10 mill a year?? 3 mill a year?? I love Champ but I want whats best for the team?

He said if it makes sense. Does it make sense to take a risk on an unknown factor? Why not draft one in round 1? Seattle got Earl Thomas round 1 right?

Cutting Champ makes the most sense. Sorry, I know everyone hates to hear that but I want what's best for the team and right now it's keeping guys like DRC, Phillips, Von Miller and DT.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Agreed DB, Champ is done in Denver and if he returns and especially and the current price it shows the front office's ineptitude at handling their business.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    I only watched him on a few plays last night, but what I saw was champ trying hard to catch up and looking real slow. Maybe he would be a good safety. His leadership is always an asset. If he stays, I guess thats a good thing
    On one of the plays when he looked badly beaten, he got picked, which gave his guy a couple yard lead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

11. The Following 6 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Champ hasn't been good for 4yrs now. He needs to retire. He's to small n slow to play Safety at a high level that we need at safety.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

This picture has been floating around today:

I want to keep Champ for sentimental reasons, and i'm thrilled he is open to doing what it takes to stay on the team, but I am unsure about how good of a player he really is anymore. I want to believe that he can still play so I would be okay with giving him another shot.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AngMunoz1987 View Post
    Champ hasn't been good for 4yrs now. He needs to retire. He's to small n slow to play Safety at a high level that we need at safety.
    This simply isn't an accurate statement.

16. The Following 5 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    This simply isn't an accurate statement.
    He was a top 10 CB last season. He just doesn't have the speed to keep up with fast receivers anymore. I think he would be a decent safety. I think a tandem of him at SS and Moore at FS would be an upgrade over Adams and Ihenacho.
    In Elway We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    He was a top 10 CB last season. He just doesn't have the speed to keep up with fast receivers anymore. I think he would be a decent safety. I think a tandem of him at SS and Moore at FS would be an upgrade over Adams and Ihenacho.
    Simply saying he hasn't been any good for four years is crazy. He's clearly lost a step and the injury bug hit him hard this year. He's still one of the better corners in the league, just not elite, cover corner material anymore. However, when it comes to the second CB or nickel/dime, you have to compare him to what most teams, or Broncos, are running in those positions, like say Tony Carter.

I think if we can re-sign DRC and keep a healthy Harris, then Champ could fit well either at nickel or possibly safety, either of which would obviously require a salary cut from his top tier CB money.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Top 4.

And a picture of him getting stiff-armed isn't proof of jack. The best linebackers of all time have been stiff-armed before. If he thinks he should move to safety, fine. I don't like it. A healthy Bailey has gotten beat twice from what I could see (and when I say beat, I don't mean the crossing pattern where he didn't have position. That's not beat), once on the wheel route last night (where as noted by Tned he was picked) and on the deep pass early in the Patriots game where Brady overthrew his receiver.

He was hurt this year, and he looked bad because he was hurt. He was back to being one of the best players on this defense for two playoff wins.

And the "4 years" comment. You simply don't know what you're talking about.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

I'd rather have Champ at FS and Ihenacho at SS. Then we have two starting safeties who tackle well, and the SS lays wood (like a SS should) while the FS ballhawks (as a FS should.) I've never seen Moore ballhawk OR lay wood, and it's not clear he can come back 100% from his injury anyway. From what I recall of the reports released on it he went home and went to bed, and only went to the hospital later when the pain became overwhelming, and the same reports said compartment syndrome can do permanent damage if not treated within a few hours of occurrence.

I hope and pray for the best for the guy, but even if he comes back good as new I'd STILL rather have Champ and Duke than Champ and Moore. All that's contingent on a massive paycut, because no safety in the NFL is worth $9 million (though I bet Bowlen would pay that in a heartbeat to have back the last regulation play of last year, especially after Sunday.) If he and the team are willing to do that and make the move though, it's definitely worth it.

Re-signing DRC looks a no-brainer now, and if Harris fully recovers from his ACL tear and Webster continues developing we should be in good shape at CB, whether Carter stays as the dimeback/backup or we find someone as good or better to go there. Since we don't know Moore's long term prognosis though and it's unclear Adams will return, we look pretty thin at safety. We have for a while, which is why I jumped on the "move Champ to safety" bandwagon a long time ago. All that's really changed is our CB depth has improved and our safety depth declined.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    I really think he's done. This move if it was going to be made should have happened years ago. Too late now. Bailey just looks like he is always getting torched.

Are we talking safety at 10 mill a year?? 3 mill a year?? I love Champ but I want whats best for the team?

He said if it makes sense. Does it make sense to take a risk on an unknown factor? Why not draft one in round 1? Seattle got Earl Thomas round 1 right?

Cutting Champ makes the most sense. Sorry, I know everyone hates to hear that but I want what's best for the team and right now it's keeping guys like DRC, Phillips, Von Miller and DT.
    you mean the Earl Thomas we passed up to draft Moreno, when safety was a glaring need?

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Champ a top 4 or 5 CB??? Are you guys freakin nuts? He isnt even top 2 on our team and that's not saying much.

Chris Harris Jr and DRC are better than Champ at this stage.

Sorry ...I know it's a sentimental area but Champ played well last year based on everyone else staying healthy and doing their job too. This year not so much. As much as some of you might not want to say it, it might be time he hangs them up. Tough pill to swallow but look at the top defenses. Compare their secondarys and then compare ours. The only two bright spots I see right now are DRC and Harris. Those two play very well when healthy. Things seem to fall apart when they are not. When DRC got injured NE had a field day....that's how they made a comeback.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

25. The Following 3 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information