Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey open to moving to safety

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    If we paid Jammer $1 million with another $½ million incentives to try FS, and kept him as a 4th CB when he couldn't transition, how much more will we pay Champ to try the same?

Sure Champ's much better than Jammer; millions of dollars worth better.
    Because he never was or will be an 8-time All Pro.

The Raiders got Charles Woodson on a 1-year $4.3 million contract at age 36. Bailey is 36.

That's the type of contract Bailey will get.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I will also say that if the Broncos do release him and then low-ball him with a Jammer-like contract offer I will be severely disappointed.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I just don't see how there is any way possible we pay Champ $10MM next year. He's either gone, or takes a substantially reduced paycheck and role next year.
    I don't either. I would imagine that Champ can see this coming too.

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post

The Raiders got Charles Woodson on a 1-year $4.3 million contract at age 36. Bailey is 36.

Mo this is what I'm thinking too. If he was to get 10 but get 4 plus some I think it's fair and over a 50% cut. You have to allow a person to keep their pride and respect their talent even with a pay reduction.
    Getting Stoked

I think Champ would do well as a safety. He can still tackle with the best of them and he would do better in a role where he isn't expected to play tight coverage.

I think his leadership is an intangible that must be considered too.

However, I think he would have to take a major pay cut in order to make it work. I'm not sure what his mindset is in that department. Hopefully, he realizes that his big money years are behind him.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Broncos Mtnman For This Post:

Reasonable. Again, the point wasn't Champ=Jammer, but Champ>Jammer (by a lot,) whome we still gave $1.1 million with another $400,000 or so of incentives, so we'll probably offer Champ a lot more. Just nothing in the neighborhood of $10 million, and NONE of his current contract is guaranteed for next year, so we can replace it with no difficulty so long as he's OK with the offer. The "current" contract isn't worth the paper it's written on, because it's pretty much given the team would release him with regret rather than pay it, and he knows that as well as the rest of us.

Now, what's a fair figure is between Elway and Champ. The Woodson comparison isn't a perfect fit though, because Woodson wasn't coming off an injury-plagued season, and went to a new team toward which he had no existing loyalty, rather than re-signing with the team where he's spent a decade. I'd expect that to lower the price, but obviously can't be sure. With the injury and age, I'd be unsurprised if a lot of it were incentives, too, so if it doesn't work out or there are more longterm injury problems our cap hit's lower so we can find a rental sub.
    Last edited by Joel; 02-05-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Is he really supposed to get $10mm next year??? Wow. I am a sentimental gal. I wish sports were like real jobs and you got payed the most based on everything you have done for your organization. The reality is it doesn't work that way in pro sports. I find it sad that an unproven rookie can get paid more than a pro bowl vet, but tis the game. I hope we can structure him back in - at safety. His days at corner our done IMHO. I would like to see him get a ring though. I think he would have retired had we won on Sunday.
    Last edited by OB; 02-05-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Damn u auto correct
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

12. The Following User High Fived OB For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Reasonable. Again, the point wasn't Champ=Jammer, but Champ>Jammer (by a lot,) whome we still gave $1.1 million with another $400,000 or so of incentives, so we'll probably offer Champ a lot more. Just nothing in the neighborhood of $10 million, and NONE of his current contract is guaranteed for next year, so we can replace it with no difficulty so long as he's OK with the offer. The "current" contract isn't worth the paper it's written on, because it's pretty much given the team would release him with regret rather than pay it, and he knows that as well as the rest of us.

Now, what's a fair figure is between Elway and Champ. The Woodson comparison isn't a perfect fit though, because Woodson wasn't coming off an injury-plagued season, and went to a new team toward which he had no existing loyalty, rather than re-signing with the team where he's spent a decade. I'd expect that to lower the price, but obviously can't be sure. With the injury and age, I'd be unsurprised if a lot of it were incentives, too, so if it doesn't work out or there are more longterm injury problems our cap hit's lower so we can find a rental sub.
    You really don't have a clue what you're talking about do you?

Woodson missed half of 2012 with a broken collarbone. And no loyalty to the team that drafted him and he spent the better part of his career with?

You can't come up with a better comparison, and considering that contract came just last year, that contract is basically going to set Champ's market. Not Jammer.

It is my opinion that the idea of him being willing to move to safety has to be considered in the context of when he said it. Personally, I think the question was probably just as inappropriate as asking Manning if he was ashamed. Bailey was in very emotional state, having just lost the SB in blowout fashion, but he wasn't exactly the problem.

Yes, he got beat a few times, but he wasn't the one who couldn't apply any pressure up front. Even Seattle's secondary would have had big plays made against if Manning had time to throw. The pick six probably would have been a TD if it wasn't tipped. DT had beaten the coverage and was behind Sherman and the safety who was helping over the top. That's where Manning was trying to go with the ball.

You really don't have a clue what you're talking about do you?

Woodson missed half of 2012 with a broken collarbone. And no loyalty to the team that drafted him and he spent the better part of his career with?
    A broken collarbone didn't slow Woodson down, and the Raiders didn't draft Woodson. It's not the same situation.

You can't come up with a better comparison, and considering that contract came just last year, that contract is basically going to set Champ's market. Not Jammer.
    We'll see. I never said Jammer would set Champs market, but just the opposite: That Champs market must be quite a bit higher.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

A broken collarbone didn't slow Woodson down, and the Raiders didn't draft Woodson. It's not the same situation.

We'll see. I never said Jammer would set Champs market, but just the opposite: That Champs market must be quite a bit higher.
    The Raiders didn't draft Woodson?

Who did?

And I figured you'd come back with something stupid like a collarbone is excluded from the "injury-riddled" season line just to cover yourself because you don't know what you're talking about.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Who did?

And I figured you'd come back with something stupid like a collarbone is excluded from the "injury-riddled" season line just to cover yourself because you don't know what you're talking about.

Im assuming you guys are talking about Charles Woodson who was indeed drafted by the Raiders. Rod Woodson was drafted by the Steelers.

Who did?
    You're right; I forgot he started there before going to the Pack. After Oakland franchised him and then he left two years later though, I doubt he feels much Raider Nation loyalty.

A broken collarbone won't hobble a player already slowing at a speed position. Rodgers broke his and came back for the playoffs; he didn't have a foot injury at a speed position (and isn't 36.)

19. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

You can stick your head in the sand and spout off dumb stuff all day (typically what you do anyway, for that matter), but it's pretty odd to deny that Woodson's contract last year is basically the blueprint for Bailey's this year.

Exact same position, similar accolades and same exact age.

I'd expect Bailey to make between $4.5 and $5 this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

You're right; I forgot he started there before going to the Pack. After Oakland franchised him and then he left two years later though, I doubt he feels much Raider Nation loyalty.

A broken collarbone won't hobble a player already slowing at a speed position. Rodgers broke his and came back for the playoffs; he didn't have a foot injury at a speed position (and isn't 36.)
    Holy.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information