Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2014 Thread

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    But this overlooks the fact that the Marlins have still basically overpaid for an aging guy in the 2nd half of this deal... So yes, in the first half of the deal it's beneficial, but will probably damage the team longterm. So I don't see it as a salvation at all - it's a system that makes it very hard for small and mid market teams to remain competitive. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    Yeah...I was going to get into that in more detail, but didnt want to make a "Joel post". It could potentially hurt the team in the long run, but that remains to be seen. The good thing about power hitters is that they are usually at least good for that. Stanton may not be as prolific in 10 years as he is now, but the odds are that he'll still be a decent power bat. And 10 years from now...25 mil might be the going rate for a decent power bat. That is the "glass is half full" thought process on it.

Inevitably, all teams that want to be competitive will be stuck with bad contracts and that balances the playing field. No, Miami cant maintain a bad contract like the large market teams can, but it still keeps these players from playing for the same handful of teams. It's a sad idea that teams have to do business this way, but without a salary cap...it's the only option. And let's face it...things are too far out of control to even begin to discuss a salary cap as an option in major league baseball. This move and subsequent moves like this are done moreso to keep these young players from moving to LA, NY and Boston.

Teams will have no choice but to make deals like this in order to be competitive. In the last 20 years, only 6 teams have won a world series without having a top 10 payroll. Marlins in 97 and 03 (when they did actually spend some money), STL in 06 and 11 (both times they were #11 in payroll), CWS in 05 and Anaheim (who is now a regular top 10 spender) in 02. So aside from a few fluke scenarios, it's proven regularly that teams have to spend in order to win. There is no parity and there likely never will be.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    I'd rather pay Stanton 500 million than give Russel Martin 80!
    The bad part about that deal is it basically just guaranteed Matt Weiters will not be an Oriole after this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

What do you think of the big moves, WTE? I think they make you better, but seems like a lot of money for guys in their 30s.

What do you think of the big moves, WTE? I think they make you better, but seems like a lot of money for guys in their 30s.
    Well nothing is confirmed yet but overall it appears to be big risk, not huge reward.

Once again, Boston has no clear plan or vision in FA. I like Pablo b/c we need help at 3rd base but bringing in Hanley makes no sense. Where's he gonna play? Will he stay healthy and will he stop being a douche?

But if they sign these guys in it means big trades are in the works. Cherrington must see interest in other teams for Napoli, Daniel Nava, Cespedas, Victorino and/or Allen Craig. These type of guys would have to be part of a trade along with our prospects.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

One of them could play DH, but Ramirez is a shortstop, anyway.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    One of them could play DH, but Ramirez is a shortstop, anyway.
    He sucks at SS. Boston already has a SS in Boegarts and they better not plan on trading him.

Plus, you don't sign a guy for 5 yrs @ close to 20 mil per to play DH.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    He sucks at SS. Boston already has a SS in Boegarts and they better not plan on trading him.

Plus, you don't sign a guy for 5 yrs @ close to 20 mil per to play DH.
    Left field? First base? How much are they paying Papi?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Left field? First base? How much are they paying Papi?
    The rumors are Hanley will be moved to LF but the Sox already have a huge glut at OF. I'd rather see Hanley go to 1B and try to move Napoli.

I think Papi is getting 16 ml. But he is probably the highest paid DH in the league by far. However, for what he has done for Boston he deserves every penny.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Insert WTE telling us how Lester is done here:

__________________________________________________ ______

Insert WTE telling us how Lester is done here:

I thought Boston would get him back but 6 yrs @ 155 ml w/ a vested option is wayyyyyyyy too much. But Boston really screwed this up last year with that insulting 4 years for 70. If they said 5 for 115, that might have done it.

Adopted Bronco:

I think the Cubs played their hand a little too early. Yes, they have some good young talent coming up, but even in a perfect world, you can only hope that half of those kids are even moderately successful. That being said, it will probably be 2 more years before they are at a point whee they will be truly competitive. Adding Lester will be good for then, but that's taking a risk with a big deal now. Yeah...they have money to burn, but I just think the big splash was a bit premature. Glad to have him out of the AL, though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I think the Cubs played their hand a little too early. Yes, they have some good young talent coming up, but even in a perfect world, you can only hope that half of those kids are even moderately successful. That being said, it will probably be 2 more years before they are at a point whee they will be truly competitive. Adding Lester will be good for then, but that's taking a risk with a big deal now. Yeah...they have money to burn, but I just think the big splash was a bit premature. Glad to have him out of the AL, though.
    I think unexpectedly landing Maddon probably accelerated their plans a bit. Plus to their credit they've been pretty patient for a few years now and these franchise starting pitchers don't grow on trees.

I think overall you are right - but if I'm a Cubs fan I prefer this approach to waiting another year and hoping the stars align in free agency.

Adopted Bronco:

I think unexpectedly landing Maddon probably accelerated their plans a bit. Plus to their credit they've been pretty patient for a few years now and these franchise starting pitchers don't grow on trees.

I think overall you are right - but if I'm a Cubs fan I prefer this approach to waiting another year and hoping the stars align in free agency.
    The problem there is that free agency is really meant to be used as a way to fill a hole or maybe add that guy that can push you over the top. The Cubs arent competitive enough yet to know which holes need to be filled OR to have one guy push them over the top. Adding Maddon, Montero and Lester may get them 5-7 more wins...but that's not nearly enough to justify the investment. But I suppose if you have more money than God...why not?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    The problem there is that free agency is really meant to be used as a way to fill a hole or maybe add that guy that can push you over the top. The Cubs arent competitive enough yet to know which holes need to be filled OR to have one guy push them over the top. Adding Maddon, Montero and Lester may get them 5-7 more wins...but that's not nearly enough to justify the investment. But I suppose if you have more money than God...why not?
    I hear you, it's a big investment for a team that's unlikely to be contending seriously in October. But on the flip side, what happens when their prospects all continue to develop this year and they're ready to sign a SP next offseason and there isn't anyone comparable available? I think baseball is a little unique in that reliable top tier pitchers are such a scarce commodity that they get way overpaid, plus you know Theo has a comfort level with Lester given their history.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I hear you, it's a big investment for a team that's unlikely to be contending seriously in October. But on the flip side, what happens when their prospects all continue to develop this year and they're ready to sign a SP next offseason and there isn't anyone comparable available? I think baseball is a little unique in that reliable top tier pitchers are such a scarce commodity that they get way overpaid, plus you know Theo has a comfort level with Lester given their history.
    I think the move is odd because of the Samardjia trade...the Cubs had an ace quality pitcher in him.

16. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

WTE

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information