Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: By The Numbers: Seahawks Historical Defense Created By Soft Schedule

1. Default By The Numbers: Seahawks Historical Defense Created By Soft Schedule

The Seahawks have had one of the best seasons defensively we have seen in a good while. They are allowing a league best 14 points per game. They were the only team to allow less than 300 total yards per game. They were one of three teams to allow less than 200 yards per game through the air. They have an above average rush defense, ranked seventh. But if you take a closer look at the stats they haven’t had the hardest schedule.

STATS:

-9 of the 13 teams Seattle played this season were ranked in the bottom half of the league in scoring offense.

-They played only one team ranked in the top 10 in scoring offense the entire season.

-9 of the 13 teams were ranked in the bottom half of the league in red zone touchdown percentage.

-7 of the 13 teams were ranked in the bottom half of the league in yards per game.

-9 of the 13 teams were ranked in the bottom half of the league in pass yards.

-11 of the 13 were ranked in the bottom half in passing touchdowns.

-10 of the 13 were ranked in the bottom half in rushing yards.

-9 of the 13 were ranked in the bottom in yards per carry.

-Seattle played only one offense ranked in the top 10 in yards. And only one offense that was ranked...CONTINUE READING
    Your multimedia hub for Denver sports including, TV, radio, web, and social platforms. It all comes together at BSNDenver.com

The best defenses Denver played this year were Indy and NE, ranked 9th & 10th, respectively.

Denver went 1-2 in those games.

Forgive me if you heard that from me already.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    The best defenses Denver played this year were Indy and NE, ranked 9th & 10th, respectively.

Denver went 1-2 in those games.

Forgive me if you heard that from me already.
    Based on what? KC's defense was ranked #5 in points and we swept them.

4. The Following 10 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

WTE, don't you dare troll The Brandon Spano Network....don't you dare!
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Not possible. Clearly the NFC is better.

- Joel
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Default Pretty much what Justin Taylor said in the first response

SOFT schedule?! Are you serious? Let's see:

12-4 San Francisco, defending NFC Champs (X2)
    10-6 Arizona, who narrowly missed a wildcard and probably would've won any division but theirs and ours (X2)
    12-4 Carolina
    11-5 New Orleans
    11-5 Indianapolis

For those of you scoring at home, that's SEVEN playoff teams, nearly half their schedule. We could even throw in the Rams, who played all those same games AND Seattle twice, yet still finished just a game below .500; by Power Rating, St. Louis was actually the NFLs 12th best team. Yes, you heard me right: ALL NFC West teams were was playoff caliber; and you're going to sit there telling me the team that won the division AND the NFCs #1 seed had an "easy schedule"?

Did you consider that part of why the teams Seattle played had such low offensive ranking may have had something to do with playing Seattle, SF and Carolina, three of the best defenses in the whole NFL, plus pretty good New Orleans, Houston and Arizona defenses? Let's take a look:

San Francisco: Played Seattle and Arizona twice each, plus Houston, Carolina and New Orleans; 7 games against top defenses.
    Arizona: Same as above, except replace Arizona with SF; 7 games against top defenses.
    New Orleans: Played Carolina twice, plus Seattle, SF and Arizona; 5 games against top defenses.
    Carolina: Same as above, except replace Carolina with New Orleans; 5 games against top defenses.
    Indy: Played Houston twice, plus KC, Cincy, Seattle, SF and Arizona; 7 games against top defenses.

Stuff like this is why Power Ratings exist; overall, the NFC was better than the AFC this year, going 34-30 in interconference play. Again, what Justin Taylor said with additional notes on Seattles loss @Indy:

1) Indy had homefield advantage.
    2) Indys OFFENSE did NOT put up 34 pts on Seattle; Indys special teams blocked a Seattle FG and ran it back for a TD to turn a 4 pt loss into a 6 pt win.
    3) That was before Indy lost Reggie Wayne at the end of the game against us Week 7; the Colts were a much weaker team after that, which their stats for the next 9 games reflect.

In other words, when Indy hosted Seattle Week 5 their offense was MUCH better than their SEASON average of 24 pts/game, and Seattles DEFENSE still only allowed them 27.

Seattle benefits greatly from their entire roster ignoring NFL rules against PEDs and PI, and from the NFL ignoring Seattle ignoring them. Within that context though, Seattle is a VERY good and effective team, and nowhere more so than on defense. Denying that reality can't even be excused by homerism, because if Seattle's a statistical anomaly and a crap team that only got into the SB by sheer luck, that means beating them won't be an accomplishment and losing to them will be an embarrassment.

That is to say, we not only don't NEED to tear them down to build ourselves up, but tearing them down actually tears us down, too—win or lose. Just as when people did it before the KC games. Denver and Seattle are both great teams, even if one did it by shredding the record book and the other by shredding the rule book. Hopefully we're better, though if the refs don't actually start using that rulebook I'm inclined to doubt we'll be on the right side of the final score, especially bringing just 8 defensive linemen to play a ground 'n pound team in the cold.

I'm sorry, but ya'll are doing a great job of making it hard to take BSN seriously these days. I've already got an online source for blind homerism fitting data to its curve.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

10. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Not possible. Clearly the NFC is better.

- Joel
    Not just that, not by half, but certainly that, TOO. The 10-6 Cards couldn't have made the playoffs at 11-5, yet the 8-8 Bolts got the AFCs #6 seed. Should be pretty obvious which was better.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Too funny.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

I guess we shouldn't even show up tomorrow

15. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    SOFT schedule?! Are you serious? Let's see:

12-4 San Francisco, defending NFC Champs (X2)
    10-6 Arizona, who narrowly missed a wildcard and probably would've won any division but theirs and ours (X2)
    12-4 Carolina
    11-5 New Orleans
    11-5 Indianapolis

For those of you scoring at home, that's SEVEN playoff teams, nearly half their schedule.
    Um. Arizona didn't make the playoffs. So, that's five playoff teams. Not nearly half their schedule.

Now, Denver, on the other hand did play seven playoff teams.
    San Diego (twice)
    Kansas City (twice)
    Indianapolis
    Philadelphia
    New England

Using false information to make a bad point again, I see. Didn't bother reading the rest of it, because you were already making shit up in the first two paragraphs.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Um. Arizona didn't make the playoffs. So, that's five playoff teams. Not nearly half their schedule.

San Diego (twice)
    Kansas City (twice)
    Indianapolis
    Philadelphia
    New England

Using false information to make a bad point again, I see. Didn't bother reading the rest of it, because you were already making shit up in the first two paragraphs.
    C'mon, man, Arizona would've made the playoffs in any other division except (maybe) ours, and almost certainly have WON any division but ours and (maybe) the NFCS. They missed out because of the misfortune of being in by far the NFLs toughest division and playing by far its HARDEST (not EASIEST) schedule. The only team that could credibly claim a tougher schedule than Arizona was St. Louis, because they had to play all the same teams except St. Louis played Arizona twice, and Arizona was a better team.

OUR schedule's largely irrelevant to that, except that we and the AFCW and NFCW both played the AFCS; we and Seattle both beat 3 of those teams and lost by 6 @Indy thanks to 4 turnovers. Kind of eerie how similarly we both performed vs. Indy, really. Anyway, the point of this little section is (and I can't stress this enough)

Denvers greatness doesn't automatically make Seattle crap, nor vice versa.

We wouldn't want to even if it did, because then tomorrows possibilities would consist of:

1) Denver won the Super Bowl by beating a team that didn't belong there in the first place or 2) Denver LOST the Super Bowl to a crappy team.

Forced to pick, I'd definitely choose the first option, but neither is much of a tribute to our excellence or accomplishments. When people look back on SB XIII they don't say, "Well, big deal; the Steelers only beat a crappy team." They don't even say that about the wins against Minnesota, because it's not true, but Steelers fans wouldn't say it if it were, because they have enough snap to realize running down the teams they beat in SBs would just diminish Pittsburghs Super Bowl wins.

Mostly the same arguments made when everyone was dismissing KC before we played them, except without the added point that we played almost an identical schedule. If you look up, you'll see BroncoJoe telling WTE that we did so too play a good D because KC was ranked #5 in PA. Suddenly it's no longer "KC sucks; they just beat a lot of crappy teams, so we'll sweep them easily" it's "KC was a really great team and we SWEPT them!" Gah! And I thought the homerism was bad in the offseason.

19. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

C'mon, man, Arizona would've made the playoffs in any other division except (maybe) ours, and almost certainly have WON any division but ours and (maybe) the NFCS. They missed out because of the misfortune of being in by far the NFLs toughest division and playing by far its HARDEST (not EASIEST) schedule.
    No. I'm not going to "c'mon, man." Your argument was that Seattle's schedule was tough because they played "SEVEN" playoff teams.

That was the argument.

It was false. It was wrong. Because Arizona, no matter how good you want them to be DIDN'T make the ******* playoffs, so that argument is null and void.

[/COLOR][/B]We wouldn't want to even if it did, because then tomorrows possibilities would consist of:

1) Denver won the Super Bowl by beating a team that didn't belong there in the first place or 2) Denver LOST the Super Bowl to a crappy team.
    I don't even know what stupid ass point you're trying to make here. Just wanted to point that out.

21. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

San Diego (twice)
    Kansas City (twice)
    Indianapolis
    Philadelphia
    New England

Denver, on the other hand, did actually play 7 playoff teams.

Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Joel, here's a thought. Go post on the Seahawks board. They need the support you provide.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

This really isn't true. Their defensive DVOA adjusted for SOS is still #1 in the NFL.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information