Thread: Manning Not Ready to Retire

1. Default Manning Not Ready to Retire

The Broncos arrived in New Jersey today to prepare for their upcoming game against the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII. After arriving they were taken to the team hotel, and then aboard a cruise ship for a press conference.

Peyton Manning had a lot to say about his thoughts of retirement and his future. On the Cornucopia, the cruise ship the interview was on, Peyton had this to say, “Well, I know there’s a number of players that have walked away as champions, and I’m sure that’s a great feeling for those people. John Elway, Ray Lewis did it last year, Michael Strahan.” He continued to say, “In talking to Ray Lewis and in talking to John Elway, they couldn’t play anymore. That was all they had to give. They truly left it all out there.” It is clear Peyton thinks he still has a lot to add to this team.

Peyton also said since his surgery he has been taking it one year at a time. In the late part of his career you never know what can happen, so looking too far ahead really isn’t an option. It’s hard to believe it was only two seasons ago Manning missed the entire season, undergoing multiple neck procedures, including a neck fusion. Many thought his career was over.

Manning also added this statement, “I still enjoy playing football. I feel a little better than I thought I would at this point coming off that surgery. I still enjoy the preparation part of it, the work part of it,” he said. “Everybody enjoys the games, everybody’s going to be excited to play in a Super Bowl, but I think when you still enjoy the preparation and the work part of it, I think you probably still ought to be doing that. I think as soon as I stop enjoying it, if I can’t produce, if I can’t help the team, that’s when I’ll stop playing. If that’s next year, maybe it is, but I certainly want to continue to keep playing.”...CONTINUE READING
    Your multimedia hub for Denver sports including, TV, radio, web, and social platforms. It all comes together at BSNDenver.com

2. The Following User High Fived BSN Denver For This Post:

Nice title: Good article, too.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Quote Originally Posted by LTC Pain View Post
    Not as such, and semantics is less likely to derail this one.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Manning also added this statement, “I still enjoy playing football. I feel a little better than I thought I would at this point coming off that surgery. I still enjoy the preparation part of it, the work part of it,” he said. “Everybody enjoys the games, everybody’s going to be excited to play in a Super Bowl, but I think when you still enjoy the preparation and the work part of it, I think you probably still ought to be doing that. I think as soon as I stop enjoying it, if I can’t produce, if I can’t help the team, that’s when I’ll stop playing. If that’s next year, maybe it is, but I certainly want to continue to keep playing.”
    Wow!

Joel pounded me last week for even suggesting that Manning might play for longer than anyone originally expected. Sound like Manning is open to the possibility himself.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Wow!

Joel pounded me last week for even suggesting that Manning might play for longer than anyone originally expected. Sound like Manning is open to the possibility himself.
    Sure, the quote still leaves the POSSIBILITY just like it did last week; it's no more a guarantee he WON'T play till 42 than a guarantee he WILL retire at 38. Don't bet on it though; even in what I consider the extremely unlikely event Peyton Manning's still playing at 42, I doubt anyone will want him. Elway was the oldest SB winner the first time, and Manning is the same age, but I doubt anyone soon breaks the record Elway extended the following year. The person who does probably won't be someone with a congenital back condition and 4 spinal surgeries either.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    "The person who does probably won't be someone with a congenital back condition and 4 spinal surgeries either."
    I wouldn't underestimate the strength, courage, determination, resilience and fortitude of a disabled or impeded person; especially if someone tells them that they can never be able to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Az Snake View Post
    I wouldn't underestimate the strength, courage, determination, resilience and fortitude of a disabled or impeded person; especially if someone tells them that they can never be able to do something.
    Fine, but if the oldest fully healthy QB who led his team to a SB win was 38, I doubt anyone with a significant physical limitation will do it at 42 unless medical science gets MUCH better.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Sure, the quote still leaves the POSSIBILITY just like it did last week; it's no more a guarantee he WON'T play till 42 than a guarantee he WILL retire at 38. Don't bet on it though; even in what I consider the extremely unlikely event Peyton Manning's still playing at 42, I doubt anyone will want him. Elway was the oldest SB winner the first time, and Manning is the same age, but I doubt anyone soon breaks the record Elway extended the following year. The person who does probably won't be someone with a congenital back condition and 4 spinal surgeries either.
    He just broke every single season record, he still has the skill level to play at least another 5 years IF it holds his interest & doesn't suffer a catastrophic injury.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

He just broke every single season record, he still has the skill level to play at least another 5 years IF it holds his interest & doesn't suffer a catastrophic injury.
    Yea, but, but, but, we don't know, if we had not wasted $20 million on Manning, and instead had kept Tebow and signed four pro-bowl players with that $20 million, and had led Tebow become the franchise QB that he was only one year from becoming, we would have not only won the SB last year, but would have won it every year for the next 9-10.

I got you covered Joel, no need to explain it to AZ now.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

His skill's not in question, his body is. Don't you see what's wrong with saying he "still" has the skill at 37 to play when he's 42?

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Yea, but, but, but, we don't know, if we had not wasted $20 million on Manning, and instead had kept Tebow and signed four pro-bowl players with that $20 million, and had led Tebow become the franchise QB that he was only one year from becoming, we would have not only won the SB last year, but would have won it every year for the next 9-10.

I got you covered Joel, no need to explain it to AZ now.
    You can't cover me by raising an irrelevant topic I refuse to discuss (because I got tired of people bringing it up, then saying I did by RESPONDING.) Like I told you: I'm NEVER AGAIN discussing it on this site, so the question of who is and isn't obsessed about it should be answered soon. And within a day you gave us both the answer; good job. Hell, there's a 3 page thread on it right now, and I didn't have a thing to do with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    His skill's not in question, his body is. Don't you see what's wrong with saying he "still" has the skill at 37 to play when he's 42?
    Keep the best O line possible in front of him & his body becomes less of a concern.

If Manning skills deteriorates to the point that he throws 20-30 fewer TDs in 5 years than he did this year, I'll take it.

Keep the best O line possible in front of him & his body becomes less of a concern.

If Manning skills deteriorates to the point that he throws 20-30 fewer TDs in 5 years than he did this year, I'll take it.
    If it happens, great, but without a phenomenal running game, I don't think 25 TDs will cut it in 5 years (though it probably WOULD be a record for a 42 year old NFL QB.)

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Win or lose Manning did what he was supposed to do. Its not a failure at this point as even making this game was the ultimate goal. As far as Tebow is concerned, he's not even playing in the NFL so that question has been answered as too what he could or could of done for this franchise or another. Getting Manning was the right move and it has been proven this year beyond a doubt.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information