Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Champe Bailey should retire if the Broncos win the Super Bowl-thoughts?

Default Champe Bailey should retire if the Broncos win the Super Bowl-thoughts?

I've seen a couple of articles saying that, logically, Peyton Manning should retire if he wins the Super Bowl. I think we all know that isn't going to happen.

However, does it make sense for Bailey to retire? I think it does. Think about it, the Broncos are to pay him, what, 10 million next year? That's not going to happen. They have too many FAs they need to pay off, including Bailey's replacement DRC. They will either cut him or ask him to take a major pay cut and accept a backup role. I don't think the money would be the deciding factor for him, he's played though some big contracts and loves Denver too much to take a bit more money elsewhere.

However, foot injury or not, his play isn't anywhere near what it used to be. He is his own harshest critic, and takes it very hard when he doesn't play the way that he knows he can play.

With that being the case I don't know if he would want to (or should) keep playing after winning a Super Bowl.

move him to kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

3. The Following 4 Users High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Champè? Vous parlez du champion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

I doubt Manning retires. He's the best in the NFL right now so noway that happens. I doubt he starts going all Brett Favrish on us too.

As for Champ, I would like to see him go out on top as a champ.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

7. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I could see both going out on top. But manning will prob return for another shot as long as his offense stays the same. Which could be factor in keeping decker and moreno

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    I could see both going out on top. But manning will prob return for another shot as long as his offense stays the same. Which could be factor in keeping decker and moreno
    Manning loves Moreno and Decker. We could keep both of those guys if Champ retires. That would be huge motivation for Manning to keep playing.

If we can't get a deal done we will simply franchise Decker and still get to keep these guys around for at least one more run.

Champ is still a pretty good corner. I don't see him retiring yet.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Champ is still a pretty good corner. I don't see him retiring yet.
    I don't see him retiring which will make the choice tough on Elway. No way Elway will want to pay him 10 mill a year when DRC and Harris both need new contracts. Just don't see it happening. He went head to head with Dumervil about his "out of whack" contract. If Bailey had any common sense at all he would realize his skill set has declined.

13. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

If he can still bring it and shut down Seattles best, then keep playing while youre still young forever. Forever young...
    So we live a life like a video
    When the sun is always out and you never get old
    And the champagne’s always cold
    And the music is always good
    And the pretty girls just happen to stop by in the hood

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    I don't see him retiring which will make the choice tough on Elway. No way Elway will want to pay him 10 mill a year when DRC and Harris both need new contracts. Just don't see it happening. He went head to head with Dumervil about his "out of whack" contract. If Bailey had any common sense at all he would realize his skill set has declined.
    Agreed, he's not getting $10 million next year. We have 2 other corners at this point who might be as good as him right now. If course there's no gaurantee DRC will be back.

Ask me in the offseason; right now that's an eternity away for everyone but Elway. The next two weeks are what matter NOW.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Agreed, he's not getting $10 million next year. We have 2 other corners at this point who might be as good as him right now. If course there's no gaurantee DRC will be back.

Someone might offer DRC a deal we just can not afford to match. I would like us to retain at least 2 out of the 3 between Harris, DRC and Champ.

My gut tells me we must keep DRC. He has been outstanding this year and so was Harris up until he got hurt.

I truly think Wesly Woodyard is going to be the odd man out between all of our FAs. In a perfect world no one leaves but there's that whole cap space thing getting in our way.

18. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Ask me in the offseason; right now that's an eternity away for everyone but Elway. The next two weeks are what matter NOW.

Two weeks until we play again seems like an eternity. Why do you think we are disscussing this? Lol

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Winning a super bowl seems like an odd reason to retire, at least if he still has the passion for the game.

But what I really don't get in these discussions are the assumptions (always taken for granted) that Champ is washed up. Where is the evidence for this? I'm not going to deny he's less than the 27 year old Champ, but it's pretty obvious from recent opposing gameplans that not targeting Champ or DRC was discussed once or twice. Maybe those opposing offensive coordinators know a few things. I think a lot of fans have just accepted a talking point that probably originated after one bad half of a playoff game last year (none of which was even "speed" related). He can still run with a lot of (all?) receivers (he was stride for stride on the deep ball Brady overthrew the other night, and not even sure he was targeted outside of that). He also has a "captain" role and the D has improved since he returned, even after guys like Von went down.

Of course, the front office always has to weight the salary someone is demanding vs. that players relative contribution. I'd agree DRC is a priority. That's a legitimate issue which we have no info to work from (e.g., Champ could take a big cut and try to go for two rings), but retiring for the sake of retiring after winning a SB makes no sense to me. Anyway, I'm sure his main focus is winning this one.
    Last edited by cmc0605; 01-21-2014 at 07:05 PM.

22. The Following User High Fived cmc0605 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cmc0605 View Post
    Winning a super bowl seems like an odd reason to retire, at least if he still has the passion for the game.

But what I really don't get in these discussions are the assumptions (always taken for granted) that Champ is washed up. Where is the evidence for this? I'm not going to deny he's less than the 27 year old Champ, but it's pretty obvious from recent opposing gameplans that not targeting Champ or DRC was discussed once or twice. Maybe those opposing offensive coordinators know a few things. I think a lot of fans have just accepted a talking point that probably originated after one bad half of a playoff game last year (none of which was even "speed" related). He can still run with a lot of (all?) receivers (he was stride for stride on the deep ball Brady overthrew the other night, and not even sure he was targeted outside of that). He also has a "captain" role and the D has improved since he returned, even after guys like Von went down.

Of course, the front office always has to weight the salary someone is demanding vs. that players relative contribution. That's a legitimate issue which we have no info to work from (e.g., he could take a big cut and try to go for two rings), but retiring for the sake of retiring after winning a SB makes no sense to me. Anyway, I'm sure his main focus is winning this one.

I just have a gut feeling even if we win it, Manning would still be hungry to win another. It's just in his DNA.

24. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information