Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Champe Bailey should retire if the Broncos win the Super Bowl-thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Two weeks until we play again seems like an eternity. Why do you think we are disscussing this? Lol
    I'm just so fixated on the Super Bowl right now I can't think of anything else. Which is probably why I've been up WAY too long. The tension of being so close and yet so far away, the urgency of doing it before Champ and Mannings windows close and the FA hits start coming, the hunger after abruptly coming up short when we had our best shot since '05. And, the complexity and facets of what's a truly fascinating matchup.

Also, the Seahawks being such stuck up, doped up, done nothing thugs that I want them DENIED and CRUSHED, but we're the last team left that can. There are few things more annoying than when a team like THAT actually has the talent to walk its loud, vain, dirty, thuggish talk; it's what makes the Pats so loathsome. I hate the Pack and Steelers mostly because of history, but they've generally been free of that kind of crap (though there were rumors of the '97 Pack assuring everyone of 16-0 in preseason.) It's like with Stabby McGee last year.

I just had a thought an hour or two ago: If Seattle wins, Brandon Browner gets a SB Ring, even though he's on a one year doping suspension that probably means he'll never play again.

We've GOTTA get this done, ya'll. THAT can't be allowed a Lombardi and SB Rings while Champ and Moreno get NOTHING. It's like when the '07 Giants beat the Pats: JUSTICE!

Okay, sorry; pay me no mind and go back to discussing what happens a few months AFTER our biggest game in 16 years. By the way: Remaining Broncos from last AFCCG appearance are Champ Bailey and Chris Kuper (who was a rookie.) Pretty sure that's it.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Champ, retire...

Manning, not-retire...

I first thought this thread was saying that Champ already said he would retire if he won. I was worried.

If I heard what I think I just heard, Manning who was speaking from the podium this morning was asked about Champ, winning it for him and such, and he referred to how Champ was asked this year about whether or not he would move to safety and he said Champ almost was insulted by the question. Manning said he believes he will stop playing when he can't be a CB anymore.

This was on the tail end of him talking about how incredible/impressive it is for someone to still be playing CB after 15 years in the league.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

People forget, Elway didn't retire to "go out on top". If that were his reason, he would have left after the first title. He retired because he physically couldn't play anymore. The whole "going out on top" think is largely a myth IMO. Most players just play until they can't anymore.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I heard on the radio that Champ graded out better than anyone else on our defense past week, even better than Pot Roast. Not sure if it's true but I don't seem to remember him giving up anything and I do remember him making some tackles.

What I'm really trying to say is that this is a stupid idea. Champ can still play. Jesus, just because he may not be the best corner in the league doesn't mean he can't play. Please, pay attention to the actual game on the field before making a thread like this.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I heard on the radio that Champ graded out better than anyone else on our defense past week, even better than Pot Roast. Not sure if it's true but I don't seem to remember him giving up anything and I do remember him making some tackles.

What I'm really trying to say is that this is a stupid idea. Champ can still play. Jesus, just because he may not be the best corner in the league doesn't mean he can't play. Please, pay attention to the actual game on the field before making a thread like this.
    The only play I can remember being made on him was the Edelman TD, but I think they were in some kind of zone on the goal line, and Edelman slipped in between him and a LB (can't remember which), so I don't know if he was Champ's responsibility or the LB's.

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post

Kris is about to go postal up in this piece.

13. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 3h

Champ Bailey: "Corners my age either retire, stink it up or move to safety." Bailey doesn't want to do any of those things. #sbsmg #Broncos

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

If Manning wanted to retire, he could have retired after having 4 neck surgeries on his neck and STILL been a 1st ballot HoFer. He had the 'oppertunity' to retire for a legit reason, and NO ONE would have questioned his reasoning. Instead, he rehabbed and came back. Now just had the most prolific passing display in NFL history. There is NO WAY Manning is thinking about retiring. Why would he? Play for as LONG as you can, because you can NEVER have what he has every sunday again in your life.

Bailey isn't going to retire unless he thinks he's finished. I really don't understand when someone says about someone else "I think they should retire." If Champ feels that he can't physically play anymore, and he can't find a job, then he'll retire. Until that point, he's going to strap on that chin strap and play football.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by cmc0605 View Post
    Winning a super bowl seems like an odd reason to retire, at least if he still has the passion for the game.

But what I really don't get in these discussions are the assumptions (always taken for granted) that Champ is washed up. Where is the evidence for this? I'm not going to deny he's less than the 27 year old Champ, but it's pretty obvious from recent opposing gameplans that not targeting Champ or DRC was discussed once or twice. Maybe those opposing offensive coordinators know a few things. I think a lot of fans have just accepted a talking point that probably originated after one bad half of a playoff game last year (none of which was even "speed" related). He can still run with a lot of (all?) receivers (he was stride for stride on the deep ball Brady overthrew the other night, and not even sure he was targeted outside of that). He also has a "captain" role and the D has improved since he returned, even after guys like Von went down.

Of course, the front office always has to weight the salary someone is demanding vs. that players relative contribution. I'd agree DRC is a priority. That's a legitimate issue which we have no info to work from (e.g., Champ could take a big cut and try to go for two rings), but retiring for the sake of retiring after winning a SB makes no sense to me. Anyway, I'm sure his main focus is winning this one.
    Word. ^

Champ, off another Pro Bowl season, suffers a severe foot injury, and all the
    sudden he's washed up. The reason? He's old.

Really? Did anyone watch him in the playoff game against SD? How many
    passes did he give up there?

Many people are saying that the Broncos will be addressing a need at CB in the
    draft. CB is a need, and they are just going to categorically jettison Champ?
    They might indeed draft someone, but what rookie will be better than Champ?
    They might dump Bolden and even Jammer, but Champ? Not logical to me.

I believe they want to keep him if they can. Sure, they're going to ask him to
    restructure. And he may very well do that. Even Champ knows his value isn't
    as great as it was a few years ago, I'm sure.

If they can see any way at all, I believe Champ will be back. And not
    necessarily as a backup. He may play the slot, yes, but because he's quick,
    still has speed and exceptional instincts, knows offenses, and is strong, and a
    great tackler. The bottom line is the defense is better with him and worse
    without him. The last two games have shown me that.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Tom Helmer ‏@Tom_Helmer 2h

@hatfieldcb I asked Champ Bailey if he's thought about Darrent Williams this week. His touching answer tonight at 6 on @CBSDenver #cbs4sb

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Even though the defense has lost a ton of guys, it has played much better with Champ in the lineup. He shut down his guys in the playoffs. I hope he doesn't go anywhere. This team needs him.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information