Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What Are Your Most and Least Favorite NFL Rules Changes Ever?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Emmit Smith felt he had to take off his helmet so that everyone could "see his face" after he scored a TD. Jerry Jones, himself, brought forth the rule that helmets had to stay one to eliminate that BS showboating.
    If its the incident that I'm thinking of, that was directed exclusively at TO. That was the infamous "Dallas Star" incident were TO scored a TD, ran to mid-field and than posed while standing on top of the mid-field star. ES's actions was were in response to what TO had done earlier in the game. You could say that he was in a sense "reclaiming" the star. Bottom line, if that's the incident you're referring to, TO was the instigator.
    I知 an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger痴, feel free to ask. I知 not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I like celebrations, but the taunting thing is BS. I get that the young kids think the taunting and flaunting and show-boating is cool, because thats everything to them. Ever listen to the a-holes on xbox or playstation? They can't stop the bs bragging, boasting, and smack. No one learns sportmanship anymore.

The gmae is entertainment, but needs to have sportsmanship in mind. There is a line, which MANy cross many times. It's why the NFL had to go to such drastic rules because if they didn't make one BLANKET rule, then there would have to be too much 'interpretation' for the refs. Some had to take it too far, and eventually that continued to grow as players kept working to "out-do" everyone else.

Emmit Smith felt he had to take off his helmet so that everyone could "see his face" after he scored a TD. Jerry Jones, himself, brought forth the rule that helmets had to stay one to eliminate that BS showboating.
    I like celebrations, but the taunting thing is BS. I get that the young kids think the taunting and flaunting and show-boating is cool, because thats everything to them. Ever listen to the a-holes on xbox or playstation? They can't stop the bs bragging, boasting, and smack. No one learns sportmanship anymore.

The gmae is entertainment, but needs to have sportsmanship in mind. There is a line, which MANy cross many times. It's why the NFL had to go to such drastic rules because if they didn't make one BLANKET rule, then there would have to be too much 'interpretation' for the refs. Some had to take it too far, and eventually that continued to grow as players kept working to "out-do" everyone else.

THE reason the NFL 1st had to star cracking down on excessive calibration was because of Mark Gastineau's "sack dances" in the early '80s were way over the top.

As far as celebrations in general, I think its great to celebrate with your teammates (& fans when possible) in proportion to what you just did. TDs, great, but keeping within Rav's purposed 10 second rule seems reasonable enough to me. TD when your down by 20+ points, doesn't warrant anything more than a high 5 &/or pat on the back. Getting a turnover, great, but keeping within Rav's purposed 10 second rule once again seems reasonable enough to me. Making a tackle of a ball carrier that just gained 3 or 4 yards, unless it forces a punt, any celebration is just plain stupid. However, that should be dealt with by the coach, not by penalty. Taunting, 15 yard penalty.
    I知 an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger痴, feel free to ask. I知 not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

3. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I liked when the facemask was a 5 and 15 yarder.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Best rule change was getting rid of the stupid tuck rule. Brady has his legacy to thank for that rule.
    I will never understand why it took more than 10 years to get rid of that stupid rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I don't know what to say about the best rule, but I loved it when Polumalu got tackled by his hair...off topic I know, but who didn't love that? Am I right?!
    I read the Chiefs player was penalized for that tackle. When I saw Jason Babin literally rip out some of Andre Ellington's dreadlocks last year, I wondered why he did not get a flag. To me that is the same thing as a horsecollar. Someone said it is legal because long hair is optional.

Another rule I hate. "Going to the Ground" or whatever its called that a WR must not only keep control of the ball WHILE going out of bounds, but then must KEEP it as he goes to the ground when out of play? RBs have to have control of the ball JUST long enough to TOUCH the front of the goal line for it to be considered a TD. Doesn't matter if he fumbles AFTER the ball crosses. But a WR must catch it, control it, cross the line, and KEEP control no matter How far into the endzone he goes if he goes to the ground. It's stupid and ridiculous.

I HATE MOVING THE KICK OFF TO THE 35! Holy crap. The KO return can be one of the most exciting plays during a game. Just ask Seattle during the NFC Championship game. But KO returns are pretty much NIL nowdays as kickers are putting it through the goal posts. Its' just STUPID and takes out a VERy exciting part of a game. They didn't "take out" the KO, but they might as well have, and I think that is their plan. They want to remove the XP, then the KO,and just line guys up to play patty cake football that doesn't have any tackling.

I hate Custome face masks being banned. Really? THIS is what you guys want to spend your time doing? come on, lets allow some personalization.

I hate the Roughing the pass if he's breathed on. Seriously, I think that is a rule. If he is breathed on, a 15 yrd penalty is charged.

I LIKE that all scoring plays are reviewed. It's good that one team has had to waste a challenge to prove they scored while another team gets the call.

I hate that "illegal contact" is an automatic first down. Why? Why not just 5 yrds and re-do the down? Offsides is just a 5 yrd penalty, but not automatic first down given. THey are both designed to keep the defense from being "too aggressive"... so why are DBs given a stiffer penalty for being to aggressive?
    I totally agree about going to the ground and want to know why no Calvin Johnson rule was written to change that. The Lions were robbed and would have won the game if the score counted. I am not a Lions fan, but would be a very angry horse if that happened to the Broncos.

Moving kickoffs to the 35 undid another rule change a few years earlier: reduce the number of touchbacks by not letting kickers do anything silly with them. I see no benefit to moving the tee five yards either.

What I hate about helmets is if they are not Riddell, the company name can't show. Why does the NFL want to promote one helmet manufacturer when not all players wear Riddell helmets? It may not even be the best brand. I know DeSean Jackson wears a Schutt helmet because he has a history of concussions.

I thought illegal contact was an automatic first down because teams needed less than five yards anyway.

Just breathing on a quarterback does not warrant a flag. Where did you get that from?

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I was driving back from the Broncos game so I didn't see the game. I don't want to comment on a play I didn't see. I will say that as the rule is written, regardless of the circumstances, a hit to the head and neck area of a defenseless player is a foul. The defender needs to see what he's hitting. Unfair? Maybe, but the officials really don't have a lot of choice.
    It is absolutely unfair. Classic example: Last time the Patriots played in Jacksonville, Tom Brady ducked his head as a Jaguars lineman was aiming toward his shoulder. Because of that duck, helmets collided, and instead of a clean sack, the Patriots got a first down. It makes me wish all headbutting penalties were reviewed automatically so defensive players would not be penalized for what offensive players do. Although the play described here isn't a roughing the passer penalty, it was a similar phenomenon: the offensive player's action caused defensive penalty, not the defensive player's action. Even our guy Terrance Knighton was screwed by the rule because one time, against the Raiders, he ran a fumbled football to the end zone and did not get credit thanks to an accidental headbutt by a cornerback. Come on NFL, make helmet collisions reviewable, please.
    Bronco: The best horse in the NFL

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

The worst rule I remember was the "Unsportmanlike conduct" call against the crowd noise being too loud. That's right, youngin's. The NFL used to call fouls against the crowd for being TOO LOUD. Shame on them!

Good rule to bring back was the two-point conversion. Should have always stayed.

Worst. Endzone celebration penalties. REally? This game is for entertainment. Quit the crying about a player doing a dance in the enzone with teammates, or throwing snow up in the air. Lets face it, Terrell Owens signing that ball and giving it to the agent of the CB that just got beat, was friggin HILARIOUS, although overboard. Let the guys do a team chest bump.

I personally HATE the PI call. Seriously, a 45 yrd penalty? Come on, lets stop that shit beacuse the game has become a "look for the flag" on EVERY pass play. Every incmpletion, the first thign people look for is the flag. Its WAY too arbituary, and always seems to happen when the Patriots just need to get within FG range. Teams TRY for the PI call. It's lame, and its taken away from the game.

I Hate "Hitting a defensless player." Hey, that's great. Lets just make a rule that the defense MUST let the WRs catch teh ball before we hit them. Like the defense doesn't already have their hands tied as is. :smh:

Another rule I hate. "Going to the Ground".. or whatever its called that a WR must not only keep controll of teh ball WHILE going out of bounds, but then must KEEP it as he goes to the ground when Out of play??? RBs have to have control of the ball JUST long enough to TOUCH the front of the goal line for it to be considered a TD. Doesn't matter if he fumbles AFTER the ball crosses. But a WR must catch it, control it, cross the line, and KEEP control no matter How far into the endzone he goes if he goes to the ground. It's stupid and ridiculous.

I HATE MOVING THE KICK OFF TO THE 35! Holy crap. The KO return can be one of the most exciting plays during a game. Just ask Seattle during the NFC Championship game. But KO returns are pretty much NIL nowdays as kickers are putting it through the goal posts. Its' just STUPID and takes out a VERy exciting part of a game. They didn't "take out" the KO, but they might as well have, and I think that is their plan. They want to remove the XP, then the KO,and just line guys up to play patty cake football that doesn't have any tackling.

I Hate Custome Face masks being banned. Really? THIS is what you guys want to spend your time doing?? come on, lets allow some personalization.

I Hate the Roughing the pass if he's breathed on. Seriously, I think that is a rule. If he is breathed on, a 15 yrd penalty is charged.

I LIKE that all scoring plays are reviewed. ITs good that one team has had to waste a challenge to prove they scored while another team gets the call.

I Hate that "illegal contact" is an automatic first down. Why? Why not just 5 yrds and re-do the down? Offsides is just a 5 yrd penalty, but not automatic first down given. THey are both designed to keep the defense from being "too aggressive"... so why are DBs given a stiffer penalty for being to aggressive?
    damn. . . rav didn't just hit this one out of the park, he crushed like a 1,500' missile of a linedrive. . .

7. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I just want to point out that it's not illegal to hit a defenseless player. It's illegal to hit a defenseless player in the head or neck area. I know I'll be ignored, but you can unload on a receiver trying to catch the ball... just don't do it up high. It's a good rule, imo.
    theory and enforcement are two different things, unfortunately. . .

okay, i'm going back to ignoring you now. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    That's a great steaming diaper load. There is NO PLACE for bad sportsmanship like that, not in the NFL, not video games, not boxing, not anywhere PERIOD. Act like you've been there before. I wish coaches had the balls to bench those A-holes. I do not respect their manhood.
    lol, stop, holding back, dread-- tell us how you really feel. . .

:rabblerabblerabble:

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Rule changes I like:

Moving goalposts from the goal line back to the end line.
    Allowing reviews for down-by-contact calls, not just fumbles.
    Automatically reviewing all turnovers called on the field.
    Flex scheduling on Sunday night after Week 12.
    Replacing buzzers with red flags for coach challenges.
    Making horsecollar tackles 15-yard personal fouls.
    Reviiews of all fumble recoveries in the end zone.
    Elimination of the force-out rule for sideline catches.

I am not old enough to remember it, but I read the Immaculate Reception was controversial because of a stupid rule about the ball touching a player making a pass incomplete even if it is caught. Thank God that one is gone.

Rules I hate (but don't know if they are changes or always existed):

Even if the ball is in the field of play, if a player's foot is on the goal line, it is a touchback.
    Five-yard running-into-the-kicker penalty. They should all be 15-yard roughing the kickers.
    Teams must attempt a PAT or TPC, even if it is unnecessary and no time is on the clock.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Okay my worst isn't actually related to the game. It's the Rooney rule. It doesn't accomplish it's goal and is often just a formality.
    In Elway We Trust

12. The Following User High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    Okay my worst isn't actually related to the game. It's the Rooney rule. It doesn't accomplish its goal and is often just a formality.
    That counts because it is a rule. Good choice. Every time a team interviews a black coach, fans say it is because of the Rooney Rule even if he is the most qualified candidate (Lovie Smith) or the interim head coach (Mel Tucker).

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information