Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Most and Least Favorite NFL Rules Changes Ever?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Absolutely the worst rule is the "hitting the defenseless receiver" penalty and it's close cousins. 95% of the time, it is total bullshit. They could have just left it at "personal foul - unnecessary roughness" if they believed it was a cheap shot but this business of hititng the receiver while he's trying to catch the ball and then throwing a flag because he got hurt or landed funny. I'm sorry. THAT'S FOOTBALL.

Sucks to be a defensive back nowadays.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Best rule change was making it legal to strip the football in 2002. The worst is hard to decide since there are so many.
    In Elway We Trust

I just want to point out that it's not illegal to hit a defenseless player. It's illegal to hit a defenseless player in the head or neck area. I know I'll be ignored, but you can unload on a receiver trying to catch the ball... just don't do it up high. It's a good rule, imo.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I just want to point out that it's not illegal to hit a defenseless player. It's illegal to hit a defenseless player in the head or neck area. I know I'll be ignored, but you can unload on a receiver trying to catch the ball... just don't do it up high. It's a good rule, imo.
    Did you watch the SF-Seattle game last week? A bang-bang play where the Seatlle receiver gets turned sideways while flying for the ball and the defender comes in low but because the receiver was flipping the shoulder tackle hit the receiver in the head/neck area. Out comes the flag. What the hell was the defensive back supposed to do? He's already launched himself, the receiver's head is already lower than normal and is coming right at him. The defender has no way to stop and no way to predict where the receiver's head will be. It's a bullshit rule. Protect the player? Fine in theory. If the guy make a running leap for the receiver and targets the head? I'm okay with that type of penalty. But too often the receiver has ducked or lowered their head which is the main reason the defender hit him high. You can't ask the receiver not to duck and you shouldn't ask the defender to change his trajectory after he has launched himself. The rule is contrary to the laws of physics.

7. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

OB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Make those "Defenseless Receiver" penalties reviewable and watch it drop down the list of BS calls, give these guys the chance to see it in slowmo with multiple angles and they'll get it right. You'd hope, anyway.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Did you watch the SF-Seattle game last week? A bang-bang play where the Seatlle receiver gets turned sideways while flying for the ball and the defender comes in low but because the receiver was flipping the shoulder tackle hit the receiver in the head/neck area. Out comes the flag. What the hell was the defensive back supposed to do? He's already launched himself, the receiver's head is already lower than normal and is coming right at him. The defender has no way to stop and no way to predict where the receiver's head will be. It's a bullshit rule. Protect the player? Fine in theory. If the guy make a running leap for the receiver and targets the head? I'm okay with that type of penalty. But too often the receiver has ducked or lowered their head which is the main reason the defender hit him high. You can't ask the receiver not to duck and you shouldn't ask the defender to change his trajectory after he has launched himself. The rule is contrary to the laws of physics.
    I was driving back from the Broncos game so I didn't see the game. I don't want to comment on a play I didn't see. I will say that as the rule is written, regardless of the circumstances, a hit to the head and neck area of a defenseless player is a foul. The defender needs to see what he's hitting. Unfair? Maybe, but the officials really don't have a lot of choice.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Make those "Defenseless Receiver" penalties reviewable and watch it drop down the list of BS calls, give these guys the chance to see it in slowmo with multiple angles and they'll get it right. You'd hope, anyway.
    I agree with this. In real speed it is so damn tough to call and officials are told to flag it if there is doubt.

12. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Whatever happened to the facemask design rule? I see some guys wearing the alternative masks. I hope they abolished that stupid rule.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Best rule - Unsportsmanlike conduct for excessive/choreographed celebrations, with taunting a close second. I love watching some posturing douchebag get zapped for 15 for acting like a damned WWF rassler. There is no place for that shit in the greatest sport on Earth.

Worst is the kickoff from the 35.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

15. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Whatever happened to the facemask design rule? I see some guys wearing the alternative masks. I hope they abolished that stupid rule.
    It is still there, but players can apply for exceptions.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Best rule - Unsportsmanlike conduct for excessive/choreographed celebrations, with taunting a close second. I love watching some posturing douchebag get zapped for 15 for acting like a damned WWF rassler. There is no place for that shit in the greatest sport on Earth.
    I think this is the worst change. People seem to forget that at it's absolute core, football is a game and it's entertainment. Touchdown celebrations are entertaining to many, many people. If the other team doesn't want to get taunted or see a guy celebrate a TD, don't let them score. I don't think that's something that needs policing by the refs/league.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think this is the worst change. People seem to forget that at it's absolute core, football is a game and it's entertainment. Touchdown celebrations are entertaining to many, many people. If the other team doesn't want to get taunted or see a guy celebrate a TD, don't let them score. I don't think that's something that needs policing by the refs/league.
    That's a great steaming diaper load. There is NO PLACE for bad sportsmanship like that, not in the NFL, not video games, not boxing, not anywhere PERIOD. Act like you've been there before. I wish coaches had the balls to bench those A-holes. I do not respect their manhood.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

IMO, something should only be a penalty if it gives you an unfair advantage, (such as holding, jumping offside, pass interference) or puts another player at an unnecessary risk for injury (roughing the passer/kicker, leading with helmet). Celebrating falls under neither of those. I miss the days of waiting to see what TO or Ochocinco's next celebration would be. The NFL wants the players to be robots now.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't care for showboating and the "Fun Bunch" thing (the whole offense does a choreographed boogey in the end zone) was too much but I don't see anything wrong with a brief spontaneous celebration.

The NFL also seemed intent to eliminate religious gestures such as going down to one knee or genuflecting.

I'd draw the line at 10 seconds from the moment the TD is scored, the scorer and only the scorer can do their own thing whatever it is but there's a penalty if you exceed 10 seconds and the celebration length can be reviewable if a coach wants to challenge it. This gives NFL players free speech (we're not judging on content) and keeps the flow of the game intact. Of course, now that all TDs are reviewable, perhaps more time can be given.
    Last edited by OrangeHoof; 01-29-2014 at 09:45 PM.

21. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

I like celebrations, but the taunting thing is BS. I get that the young kids think the taunting and flaunting and show-boating is cool, because thats everything to them. Ever listen to the a-holes on xbox or playstation? They can't stop the bs bragging, boasting, and smack. No one learns sportmanship anymore.

The gmae is entertainment, but needs to have sportsmanship in mind. There is a line, which MANy cross many times. It's why the NFL had to go to such drastic rules because if they didn't make one BLANKET rule, then there would have to be too much 'interpretation' for the refs. Some had to take it too far, and eventually that continued to grow as players kept working to "out-do" everyone else.

Emmit Smith felt he had to take off his helmet so that everyone could "see his face" after he scored a TD. Jerry Jones, himself, brought forth the rule that helmets had to stay one to eliminate that BS showboating.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information