Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vs. Seattle Seahawks

Super Bowl!

2. The Following User High Fived tubby For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tebowtime2011 View Post
    I hope del rio will have a good plan for this, I don't know who we can put on him besides DRC because harvin is too fast for our other cbs.
    I was thinking about this today. Harvin worries me in an x-factor kind of way. They ran that one play in the Saints game with him that was unlike anything else they did this year, as far as I know. There's just no film on him this year, so they can literally pull out anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    This was one of the many things I disliked about that: We were in rebuild mode (just one year removed from the NFLs second worst team at 4-12) and I didn't think we could assemble the many OTHER vital missing pieces before Manning hit his expiration date. For one thing, the price tag severely restricted the means to do so. And since Mannings retirement was VERY imminent even on the day we signed him, a poor team sinking all its cash into one HoFer who'd be gone in 2-3 years would leave them BROKE in terms of money AND talent when he left.

Right back to 4-12 because we signed an expensive aging mercenary instead of finishing the rebuild that would've made us a powerhouse for the next decade. It's still a strong possibility once Manning retires; Champ will be gone, Welker probably will, too, we're gonna get killed in FA with our young talent over the next two years, and most of our best defenders are FAs on short term contracts (Phillips isn't far from retirement either.) We're in Win Now mode on many levels, and I'm still trying not to think about the Post Manning Era.
    I have a few things to say about this garbage:

1. The Broncos were 4-12 in 2010 not because they had a complete lack of talent, but because of McChild. The Fluktriot way was a complete and utter failure. Elway and Fox changed the culture, and that, plus a better D (with Elvis Dumervil's return) and some Tebow Time, led to a four win improvement and a playoff win.

2. I take it that you are a Brandon Weeden fan. Cause guess what? Without Manning, he is our QB. They were still going to dump Tebow even without Manning.

3. This team has a talented replacement in Brock Osweiler with, quite possibly, the strongest arm in the NFL and good mobility for his, or any size. Plus, he is learning at the feet of the GOAT. We are like the Packers in 2007, not the 83 Steelers, who didn't have much success in the years after Bradshaw's retirement, and had an aging team.

4. Denver isn't mortgaging the future to win now. Champ ($10.75m cap hit) is going to retire after the Broncos beat Seattle in 2 weeks. If not, he's not coming back at that cap figure. There's nearly $11m in savings and, the way contracts are structured, that allows us to re-sign 2 of our key free agents or maybe even 3, depending on the terms. When Peyton retires, either this year or next, that's another $20m in savings. That's $33m off the books in 2 years thanks to just 2 players! $33m is 1/4 of the cap - you can sign A LOT of players to fair contracts with 1/4 of your cap room available.

Sure guys like DT and Von are going to cost a lot but it's not like we're suddenly going to stop adding talent or end up in salary cap hell. Is Elway going to suddenly start having bad drafts? I doubt it; he's had 3 pretty good ones so far and I don't see a reason that won't continue. Even if Elway decides to step down we have Russell and Heckert who by all indications appear to be two pretty darn good personnel men themselves.

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived 7DnBrnc53 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

This was one of the many things I disliked about that: We were in rebuild mode (just one year removed from the NFLs second worst team at 4-12) and I didn't think we could assemble the many OTHER vital missing pieces before Manning hit his expiration date. For one thing, the price tag severely restricted the means to do so. And since Mannings retirement was VERY imminent even on the day we signed him, a poor team sinking all its cash into one HoFer who'd be gone in 2-3 years would leave them BROKE in terms of money AND talent when he left.

Right back to 4-12 because we signed an expensive aging mercenary instead of finishing the rebuild that would've made us a powerhouse for the next decade. It's still a strong possibility once Manning retires; Champ will be gone, Welker probably will, too, we're gonna get killed in FA with our young talent over the next two years, and most of our best defenders are FAs on short term contracts (Phillips isn't far from retirement either.) We're in Win Now mode on many levels, and I'm still trying not to think about the Post Manning Era.
    Jesus H. Christ.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
    I have a few things to say about this garbage:

1. The Broncos were 4-12 in 2010 not because they had a complete lack of talent, but because of McChild. The Fluktriot way was a complete and utter failure. Elway and Fox changed the culture, and that, plus a better D (with Elvis Dumervil's return) and some Tebow Time, led to a four win improvement and a playoff win.

2. I take it that you are a Brandon Weeden fan. Cause guess what? Without Manning, he is our QB. They were still going to dump Tebow even without Manning.

3. This team has a talented replacement in Brock Osweiler with, quite possibly, the strongest arm in the NFL and good mobility for his, or any size. Plus, he is learning at the feet of the GOAT. We are like the Packers in 2007, not the 83 Steelers, who didn't have much success in the years after Bradshaw's retirement, and had an aging team.

4. Denver isn't mortgaging the future to win now. Champ ($10.75m cap hit) is going to retire after the Broncos beat Seattle in 2 weeks. If not, he's not coming back at that cap figure. There's nearly $11m in savings and, the way contracts are structured, that allows us to re-sign 2 of our key free agents or maybe even 3, depending on the terms. When Peyton retires, either this year or next, that's another $20m in savings. That's $33m off the books in 2 years thanks to just 2 players! $33m is 1/4 of the cap - you can sign A LOT of players to fair contracts with 1/4 of your cap room available.

Sure guys like DT and Von are going to cost a lot but it's not like we're suddenly going to stop adding talent or end up in salary cap hell. Is Elway going to suddenly start having bad drafts? I doubt it; he's had 3 pretty good ones so far and I don't see a reason that won't continue. Even if Elway decides to step down we have Russell and Heckert who by all indications appear to be two pretty darn good personnel men themselves.
    This guy pretty much hit it spot on, but I wanted to add that your point is basically moot now - we're IN THE SUPER BOWL. So the move DID work out, right? Why are we trying to second guess something that worked? Manning is on the GOAT short list and we had an opportunity to get him. A lot of other teams wanted him too, but he chose Denver and I've never been worried or upset about that for one second of my life.

I still just can't believe your negativity here, Joel. We manhandled that Patriots team yesterday. We put up more yards than anyone EVER has against a Belichick team. At any point yesterday, were you truly worried we were losing that game? Even at 13-3 at the half, sure we left points on the field, but our defense had played so well that I wasn't that concerned. Then we ate up 7:00 of clock and went up 20-3. It was all over but the shouting at that point. Yet you, either in this thread or the championship game one, spend paragraphs talking about how we moved the ball too quickly in the third quarter and should have grinded more clock. We had a 35 minute TOP and two seven minute drives. If we had turtled up and run every play after a big lead, everyone here would have blasted Fox, including you, I assume. If Manning has an opportunity to score quickly, why wouldn't he take it? At either 23-3 or 27-3 if we had scored a TD there, the Pats would have had to score a ton of points quickly and stop us multiple times. Who cares that it only took two minutes of clock? That's how our offense has worked ALL YEAR.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Joel & Orangehoof, I know that Elway & Fox had the audacity to have difference of opinion with the 2 of you, but we're in the SB.

You 2 believe that the only way to build a winning team is slowly, rather than with big name FA signings.

1) How did the work out for the Texans & Falcons.

2) The Bengals have also been building into a solid team, but they can't win a playoff game. King believes that they never will until the get a new HC & QB. If that happens, then much of what they've built will be torn down.

3) Up to that point, many on this site were ripping Elway for being cheep because he didn't even try to sign any of the big name FAs until they signed Manning. Instead, Elway & Fox looked at FAs that were the right fit for what they wanted to do. Manning was such a player & that's why they signed him.

4) What's Manning done over the past 2 season that suggest that there's no chance of him playing for another 5+.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

NFL conspiracy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95facebook95-208975376495.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	4167  

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Army Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Joel & Orangehoof, I know that Elway & Fox had the audacity to have difference of opinion with the 2 of you, but we're in the SB.
    Yes, we are. I'm thrilled. I never said there was a wrong way or a right way, only that it was a risk. We took the risk and it worked. But it was still a risk that could have blown up as spectacularly as the Texans or Falcons did.

You 2 believe that the only way to build a winning team is slowly, rather than with big name FA signings.
    Never said this. Maybe Joel did. Only that, when you are coming off a 4-12 season, blowing your wad on high-cost free agents is a very risky ploy because you may not have the talent available to make it work.

4) What's Manning done over the past 2 season that suggest that there's no chance of him playing for another 5+.
    I'll let John Elway answer that question for you.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

13. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    They can't score on us. They may keep us to 21 points but where are their points going to come from? I think we win 27-10
    I am expecting Denver to win (although weather is a huge wildcard) Seattle's regular season doesn't really suggest they're going to get beat like that. They haven't faced this offense but all their losses were tight. Down the stretch points came *very* tough against them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    No, but if Manning did not lead Denver to a Super Bowl, his signing should have been considered a failure.I think if he were candid, Peyton himself would tell you the same thing. What I am saying is that the Manning signing changed the team's emphasis from building through the draft to "win it all now". With Manning's age and small window, that's the only reason you'd sign him is to win now. I think our personnel would look considerably different had Manning signed elsewhere.
    The Broncos plan is "to win from now on", that plan started long before the Broncos signed Manning, in those terms the Manning signing was an instant success, worth every penny before the ink on his contract was dry.

The fact that the Broncos had to succeed to the level of Tebow fans approval is one of the more obscene realities of Tebowmania, the fact of the matter is the Broncos were moving on from Tebow regardless of the Manning signing so lets not get over dramatic about the gravity of reaching this SB.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

We're in the Superbowl and you're still going on about this? What in the world?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Utterly pathetic, Joel
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Dudes,

Our offense is going to destroy their secondary. Serious Biz!

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven View Post
    Dudes,

Our offense is going to destroy their secondary. Serious Biz!
    FO Sho!!!!

21. The Following User High Fived Army Bronco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Army Bronco View Post
    Why are you sooooo negative? I'm sure you can get some enjoyment from this last game.
    Whether I'm negative or positive at this point depends on whether we're talking about right now or a year or two from now. One reason I want to win a SB with Manning is because I think the bottom will drop out once he retires and I dread this place when it does. Right now, today, we're in the Super Bowl, which won't be an easy win, but is just ONE win from our first title in 15 years.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information