Thread: Not sure where to put this - fundraiser for a friend who's basically lost his face

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Default Not sure where to put this - fundraiser for a friend who's basically lost his face

Dunno if this is where we put this sort of thing, but Kevin is my friend, and he's fighting for his life right now. I met him on a Mariners board many years ago and have met him personally since then, much like with several of you. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, unlike a bunch of you a-holes.

He's in the ICU up in Seattle and will be for days or weeks to come. Once he makes it through the other side of this he's gonna need a lot of help. When someone uses the words "surgical reconstruction" and "months of rehabilitation" it's not exactly a walk in the park. If any of you can think of any means of support, monetary or otherwise as he goes through this brutal time both now and to come, I'm sure he would appreciate the assistance. The link asks for 5 bucks. It's all gonna be a drop in the bucket for a guy who's gonna spend the next year in assisted living and undergoing more surgeries, but every bit helps.

To anyone who is moved to help, thank you. If not, no worries - but if you can spare the price of Starbucks today, Kevin would sure appreciate it. Thanks.

~Gordon

Link to FundRazr.
    You don't know Kevin, and that's okay. Kevin probably doesn't want to know you anyway. I'm not saying that he's a shut in, because that's hardly the case. Kevin is a musician. He's a rabid sports fan. A dedicated father to his son, and the kind of guy that wouldn't ask for help if his life depended on it. Basically, if he knew that I'm trying to get complete strangers to help him out right now, he'd probably track me down and kick my ass.

You see, Kevin likes to keep things close to home. That's why, when his tooth started hurting him, we heard litte other than a snarky facbook comment about how much it f*#king hurt and, well, that was about it. Mostly, he talked about his Mariners or Seahawks, or about how much love he had for his family and friends and most of all, his adoration of his son Silas, who will turn 8 this March.

Fast forward to today, and sadly, that sore tooth became an infection. An infection that spread down his neck and through his chest, around his heart and lungs sending him to the emergency room where he has been in critical condition.

As of last word, Kevin has had over seven operations to remove the infection and while things are finally beginning to look up for him in terms of his survival of this ordeal, he is far from out of the woods.

He will be looking cosmetic surgery to repair soft tissue damage and many months if not years of therapy to return to normal life and will most likely spent the first year of recovery in a nursing home.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Sadly i cannot throw any money his way (yes i am that poor lol) but i do wish him the very best.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

It's hard times, North, for everyone. Like I said, no worries.

I am constantly torn between amazement at the things we can do for people to save lives, and horror at the cost of even routine treatments. He's not out of the woods yet on the saving-his-life thing, but incremental progress is good. The road back to some ballpark of full recovery is gonna be a bloody and expensive one, though.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

6. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

What about sending him and his family letters of encouragement?
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

8. The Following User High Fived broncogirl7 For This Post:

can we maybe get this thread a sticky for a Bit?

i will help a brother out but I cannot do it right this moment. A sticky woule be easy for me to find later and get this thread more pub.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Some more fundraising ideas, which has worked out well in the Denver area - his family, or someone in Seattle, needs to contact the tv stations there, and have them run Kevin's story, obviously including where they can donate.

Also, when someone in Denver needs monetary help, their friends will set up a fundraiser at a bar, restaurant, etc.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

11. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information