Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How big of a loss was Derek Wolfe?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I think you two may have misinterpreted what I said a little. I like Wolfe, but he has underperformed this year, and if he's a one-formation pint (for lack of a better term), and without Miller the Broncos aren't going to use that scheme, then he isn't exactly the solution at the position. If Jackson is better all-around, or Ayers for that matter, he should be the guy on the field getting more snaps.

The only thing that stops me from thinking that's 100 percent the case is that whenever Wolfe was healthy, Del Rio had him on the field, and not the other two.
    Prior to Miller's return he was doubled more than any player in our front 7, which isn't reflected in the stats you posted.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Prior to Miller's return he was doubled more than any player in our front 7, which isn't reflected in the stats you posted.
    That may have been the case. I certainly don't know the source that Joel cites for that stat, nor do I know if it's credible or not, and I don't know where to find that particular bit of information. I have a hard time believing that they were double teaming Wolfe at RDE (and they certainly weren't against either Philly or Indianapolis), but if those stats are legit, then it's a legit point.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Great analysis Mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

That may have been the case. I certainly don't know the source that Joel cites for that stat, nor do I know if it's credible or not, and I don't know where to find that particular bit of information. I have a hard time believing that they were double teaming Wolfe at RDE (and they certainly weren't against either Philly or Indianapolis), but if those stats are legit, then it's a legit point.
    I didn't see any stats Joel posted. Im just remembering something I saw a while back. I think it was the Mile High Report. If I remember correctly he was doubled on 35-45% of his snaps, most of those being passing downs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I didn't see any stats Joel posted. Im just remembering something I saw a while back. I think it was the Mile High Report. If I remember correctly he was doubled on 35-45% of his snaps, most of those being passing downs.
    Is 35-45% significantly above average?
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Is 35-45% significantly above average?
    It depends on how good of a player you are. On most downs the defense can only double one guy. It means defenses respect him.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

It's from one of the Brandon Spano Network articles linked here around the time Miller came back: I didn't vet it, but they said Wolfe was double-teamed on 42% of his snaps in our first 5 games. And, yeah, it seems to me like a DE getting double-teamed on almost half his snaps is a lot. On passing downs, those are double-teams that would normally be on Miller, but unless teams kept 7 blockers (leaving just 3 receivers) or gave Vickerson, Knighton or Phillips a free shot, they couldn't double both Miller AND Wolfe.

It's one of those deals where a guy can have a huge impact by creating opportunities for teammates to make plays that show up on their stat sheet instead of his. Without going back and looking at every play, or at least most, I can't be sure how much of that applies, but even if they pancaked him everytime, if Wolfe had two guys on him every other down, he made an impact. After I saw that I got really psyched about getting Miller back, because it was a "choose your poison" kind of thing—then we lost Wolfe after just 5 more games.

I don't have game tape on hand, so I can only go from memory and logic, but it's certainly tantalizing that people are talking about Wolfe AND MILLER underperforming this year. It could very well be as simple as only being on the field together for 5 games; before that teams could scheme for Wolfe, and afterward they could scheme for Miller. Now we have neither, which is troubling.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

It depends on how good of a player you are. On most downs the defense can only double one guy. It means defenses respect him.
    So it means he's an asskicker if he's getting doubled at that rate. Got it.

10. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I'm sorry Joel, I didn't know what BSN meant.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

I'm sorry Joel, I didn't know what BSN meant.
    No worries; I was just trying to be (relatively) brief. It was just as well since it motivated me to go find the article (on the quality of Elways draft picks) because I recalled it slightly wrong:
    Derek Wolfe’s performance has dropped in his second season due to the fact that he has been double teamed on 42% of his pass rush attempts. http://tinyurl.com/p3gddv7
    So not 42% of ALL Wolfes snaps, just all his PASS RUSHES. Perhaps more importantly, the article was from the middle of the week after our bye, so (presumably) covers 8 games, not just 5 (and thus a couple games after Millers return.) Again, I don't have the tape, but suspect the percentage was higher during Millers suspension; Wolfe's no scrub, but on pass rushes I can't imagine many teams would double him and leave Von Miller one-on-one, so most of Wolfes double teams were probably while Miller was gone.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information