Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Knowshon Moreno's "huge season" for Broncos springs from versatility

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Knowshon Moreno's "huge season" for Broncos springs from versatility

The orange blur swooshed in front of his face, and suddenly he saw this splotchy, disgusting, trodden grass, which for a fourth-quarter running back, well, is like seeing a sunset.

Left tackle Chris Clark elevator-door'd the hole for his fellow orange-clad Bronco, and Knowshon Moreno's third-and-1 run sealed Denver's playoff win last Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

"I've got to get it," Moreno said of that first down with 1:12 left, and the Broncos up 24-17. "We've got to get that first down. And that is basically what my mind-set was. ... I think everyone just dug deep, went out there and did what we had to do to come out with a big victory."
    http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci...om-versatility

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

I can't say enough positive things for Moreno this season. I'm extremely proud for the guy, and I hope he gets what he deserves and gets a new contract with us because not only has he earned it, but he's contributed a whole heck of a lot to our success this year. I really don't know if we would have won 13 games without him.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived tripp For This Post:

The question is...how much is he worth and how much does he want? He's had a phenomenal season, but you can't pay him like a top 5 back. Montee is waiting in the wings and has played as well or better than Knowshon over the last month.

6. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The question is...how much is he worth and how much does he want? He's had a phenomenal season, but you can't pay him like a top 5 back. Montee is waiting in the wings and has played as well or better than Knowshon over the last month.
    I'm no expert on contracts.. but if there was ever a chance we could give him a contract based on performance, maybe something like a 2 year contract and with incentives if you reach certain mile stones, I'd be game for that.

I just don't see how you could let him go and let Montee Ball take over the reigns, you need that veteran talent there to mentor Ball, and to have Moreno in the back field when it comes to pass protection until Ball learns to pick up blocks. We're in a win now state of mind, even next year regardless of what happens this year, so you have to keep him IMO.
    Last edited by tripp; 01-14-2014 at 10:40 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived tripp For This Post:

Don't get me wrong I like Moreno and he has been huge for us this season. But I've been wanting Ball to get more carries lately. Ball to me seems to see the holes better and get more out of bad situations. I don't like that Moreno seems to have this tendency to just run into the back of his offensive line instead of finding some space. I hope Moreno is back but only if it's a reasonable contract as I still see Ball as the better back in the long run.
    Ball just needs to stop fumbling.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I love Moreno and I hope he keeps his intensity up and stays with us for years to come.

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

In my rainbows and unicorns world, both Moreno and Ball are with the Broncos for years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Well...in a pass, pass, pass, run offense...his numbers still ended up with him being a top 3 back when you look at his total yards from scrimmage. But I agree...Montee has looked damn good since he got over the fumble issues and my boy CJ could be a very good #2. So...Moreno kind of has to come back at the right price.

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

We are lucky to have 2 good running backs. Wasnt too long ago when Hillman was our "best" back. You gotta love Ball and Moreno.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

A guy like Moreno is what makes you not want to give up on people. We need 53 dudes like that.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

18. The Following 12 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Before we just assume Montee is an even swap, let's remember he's only getting about 15 snaps a game. Moreno's football IQ is not that easy to replace. His understanding of blitz pickups is pretty impressive.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

I love how Moreno has played htis season, but the game against the Chargers showed that Ball is the better RB. I don't think Moreno can 'demand' much from a team that has replaced him in the draft.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

I was one of the most outspoken critics of Moreno but I love the guy now. I hope it works out that he stays a Bronco for years to come. Love the intensity he is playing with this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    We are lucky to have 2 good running backs. Wasnt too long ago when Hillman was our "best" back. You gotta love Ball and Moreno.
    Hillman was NEVER our best back, but I get your point and completely agree. If we'd had a second back as good as Moreno last year we might be defending SB Champs now: Instead, Moreno got hurt at the end of the playoff game vs. Baltimore (after a gutty 14 yd TD catch in the first half,) we sent Hillman in to run out the clock on our last regulation possession, and he couldn't do it. Injuries and fatigue necessitate TWO strong RBs; once again, if Ball could've been trusted when Moreno got his bone bruise at the end of this years NE game, we almost certainly win that one.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    A guy like Moreno is what makes you not want to give up on people. We need 53 dudes like that.
    I couldn't agree more. He and Manning are about the only guys I NEVER worry about believing their own BS, not showing up for the kickoff and/or not playing till the gun. Champ, DRC and Harris, too, but it's still an alarmingly rare quality on this team. Maybe it's just because of how close and how many times Moreno's come to the door closing on his NFL dream: He knows he can't count on ANY second chances, let alone an unlimited number. Which is also why I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk if the team that nearly cut him—TWICE—jerks him around on a new contract.

The headline doesn't really reflect the article, but it's valid: Morenos versatility puts him head and shoulders above the rest of our backfield. Ball may be a better pure runner (he often looks like it, and his statline certainly supports it,) but his pass blocking's been questionable much of the year (though it's gotten better the last month or so) and Moreno's an invaluable 3rd and long checkdown who breaks tackles and commando-crawls his way for conversions and TDs on catches where he Will. Not. Be. DENIED!

It's hard to overestimate the value of a RB who doesn't need to come out on passing downs because he can't block or catch, or ONLY comes in on passing downs because he can't run. That kind of rotation is like a neon sign for defenses; whenever there's any doubt what we're doing on 3rd and 7, it vanishes each time the great blocker/receiver who can't run enters the game. Remember early in the year when Montee Ball took the field on 1st down and we all knew it was a run because he can't pick up the blitz? Guess what: The defense knew that, too.

Perhaps the offenses biggest advantage (and heaven knows it has plenty these days) is that it always knows its plans and need only find ONE crack in a defense that must therefore cover all its bases and guess the offenses plan. Take that away by telling the D what the offense is doing though and the balance shifts to the other side. In the games final minutes, everyone wants to be the team defending bombs rather than the one trying to stop runs and force a punt, but it's easier for BOTH defenses because they pretty much only need to stop one thing.

No offense wants to play the WHOLE game like that, and the proverbial "every-down back" prevents that unpleasant scenario. Whatever option we choose, simply HAVING lots of them is an advantage in itself because it keeps the D honest. That's an asset no Broncos back but Moreno brings to the table right now, and we'd be very foolish to give it up after being without it so long.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

I think we all know how much I love knowshon and have pimped him up for the past 5 years. I like montee even more!!

In my ideal world montee would be the lead back with 15-20 carries and knowshon with 10-15 and third down. Knowshon is so damn deadly on screens and while we are calling them more than the last two years.....oooh that reminds me......anyway- we need to call more to him. They all go for big yardage every time. But his running up the gut and around the edges are not as good as Montee.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information