Thread: A Taste Of Their Own Medicine

1. Default A Taste Of Their Own Medicine

San Diego head coach, Mike McCoy, used a specific tactic to defeat the Denver Broncos this year. He used it in both games, but was only successful once.

The Broncos and Chargers played three times this season. The Broncos won two of the three however, all three games were close matchups. 72-64 was the combined score of the three meetings. The Broncos won the first 28-20 lost the second 27-20, and won the third 24-17.

In the first two meetings San Diego used a run heavy, clock managing scheme. The Broncos won the first meeting, but it was a close game. The Chargers were able to keep Peyton Manning off the field. They ran eight more plays than Denver, had 17 minutes more of possession, and had 50 more rushing yards. This would have worked had the Broncos not went up 21-6 at halftime.

The second meeting was more of the same. They again had 17 minutes more of possession, but here is where it was different. The Chargers had 11 rushing first downs to the Broncos one. And they had 177 rushing yards to the Broncos 18. They also ran 13 more plays than Denver did. They held the Broncos to only 10 first half points, and scored 17 points in the process. They also had three drives of more than six minutes; one of them was eight and a half minutes long.

This season the Broncos were held under 100 yards total rushing four times. Two of those times were against the San Diego Chargers.

What does this tactic have to do with this playoff matchup?...CONTINUE READING
    Your multimedia hub for Denver sports including, TV, radio, web, and social platforms. It all comes together at BSNDenver.com

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived BSN Denver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

It's a winner!!!
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

It was awesome beating them at their own game. Running the ball down their throats. Fox had a great game plan.
    In Elway We Trust

5. The Following User High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

The game plan was solid but I am not sure how much coach Fox has to do with forming and implementing it.
    RIP Cameron, D, & D

7. The Following User High Fived Dean For This Post:

It was a good game plan this go around, IMO...

...minus a couple of ticky-tack turnovers, an invisible trip hazzard, and the loss of a solid cover corner, I think the score would've been a little more lopsided...

...but again, the game plan seemed solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    The game plan was solid but I am not sure how much coach Fox has to do with forming and implementing it.
    You're not sure with how much the Head Coach has to do with the game plan? What? Did he take the week off and tell everyone just to take care of it for him?
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

10. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    It was awesome beating them at their own game. Running the ball down their throats. Fox had a great game plan.
    Don't tell Charger fans that a lot of them are to stupid to comprehend it and they whinning that the refs cos them the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Why wouldn't he? Fox did the same things while in Carolina and I don't believe Fox to be purely hands off.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

the game plan was solid, the excecution was great aside from a few dropped balls, trip, and block in the back

one thing stood out at the end from last years divisional game....fox actually let manning keep the last drive going as opposed to, hand the ball off, punt and hope our defense can hold

gameplan? what a joke. I can gameplan as well as anyone so crown me NFL coach

The score doesn't indicate how much we dominated this game. If you include the onside kick SD recovered we were -3 in the turnover margin.

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    gameplan? what a joke. I can gameplan as well as anyone so crown me NFL coach

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information