Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 20 Beatles songs.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Here are my favorites, added the album so people know where to find it...

1. Two of Us (Let it Be)
    2. Hey Jude
    3. The Long and Winding Road (Let It Be)
    4. Day Tripper (Yesterday...and Today)
    5. Ticket to Ride (Help!)
    6. Nowhere Man (Rubber Soul)
    7. Blackbird (The Beatles)
    8. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (Help!)
    9. Let It Be (Let It Be)
    10. I've Got a Feeling (Let It Be)
    11. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (The Beatles)
    12. Yesterday (Help!)
    13. Norwegian Wood (Rubber Soul)
    14. Love Me Do (Please Please Me)
    15. All My Loving (With the Beatles)
    16. Can't Buy Me Love (A Hard Day's Night)
    17. Eleanor Rigby (Revolver)
    18. The Fool on the Hill (Magical Mystery Tour)
    19. Revolution (The Beatles)
    20. Come Together (Abbey Road)
    Nowhere man. What a good one.

So no Strawberry Fields...not a Lennon guy? Weird, because you dig the other MMT stuff that is overlooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Nowhere man. What a good one.

So no Strawberry Fields...not a Lennon guy? Weird, because you dig the other MMT stuff that is overlooked.
    Whoa....don't accuse me of not being a Lennon guy . Although, now I look at that list and realize there's only a couple of Lennon tunes and they are mostly McCartney and a few George Harrison (underrated songwriter).

Strawberry Fields was on the list of 35 or so that I had before it got cut.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Whoa....don't accuse me of not being a Lennon guy . Although, now I look at that list and realize there's only a couple of Lennon tunes and they are mostly McCartney and a few George Harrison (underrated songwriter).

Strawberry Fields was on the list of 35 or so that I had before it got cut.
    I was surprised by how many McCartney tunes I loved. I figured myself firmly in the Lennon camp, only to discover McCartney had more genius than I credited.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I was surprised by how many McCartney tunes I loved. I figured myself firmly in the Lennon camp, only to discover McCartney had more genius than I credited.
    Lennon was always the more intriguing person, but McCartney was the true talent. Lennon always had a knack for the more avant garde, though. He was behind Revolution No. 9 and a lot of Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

This thread got me looking around the YouTubes. I found this a little interesting.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    This thread got me looking around the YouTubes. I found this a little interesting.

George Martin, of course, butchered a lot of the vision the Beatles had on their late albums. And even WITH that, they were visionary.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I've always felt like McCartney is a lot more hollow of a songwriter than Lennon honestly. I still think that holds true when looking at their separate solo careers in which I think Lennon was faaaar better than Paul.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I've always felt like McCartney is a lot more hollow of a songwriter than Lennon honestly. I still think that holds true when looking at their separate solo careers in which I think Lennon was faaaar better than Paul.
    He was always more introspective and the songs had more personal depth. But I don't know if I would say "better."

Probably the only two Lennon songs I've ever liked are "Come Together" and "Across the Universe". And "In my life". Did he write that?

I prefer McCartney. Lennon seems a bit out there. His songs make me want to try LSD.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

He was always more introspective and the songs had more personal depth. But I don't know if I would say "better."
    Better in that I prefer his songs

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Lennon was always the more intriguing person, but McCartney was the true talent. Lennon always had a knack for the more avant garde, though. He was behind Revolution No. 9 and a lot of Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine.
    Lennon made almost all of A Hard Day's Night. That album was revolutionary. Don't discount his talent. I do question his contribution, but not his ability. And with more and more distance, I'm more and more pissed at his aloofness and disconnection from the amazing work Paul was doing at the end.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I've been listening to a lot of Wings in the car lately. Paul is a master craftsman, John is his own nebula.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The effect Lennon and McCartney had on each other was evident as soon as they split up. Lennon wrote a lot of introspective garbage while McCartney penned a lot of cutesy-pie tunes that had all the lyrical depth of a four-year-old.

But while they were together, they were brilliant because each had won the respect of the other so Paul could tell John when his songs sounded like pretentious bullshit and John could tell Paul when his songs were just mindless pap so both tried harder at the insistence of the other to make better lyrics/music. Once separated, you got junk like "Instant Karma" and "Let 'Em In".
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Without starting a new thread, I wanted to explore another idea. Favorite musical moment among Beatles songs.

I'll make the case for "A Day in the Life" when there is the transition from the folksy Paul part ('woke up, fell out of bed...') at the very end ('somebody spoke and I went into a dream') to the faraway John drug/dream stupor of aaaahhhhhh aaah ah aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, etc.

It's got everything good about the Beatles--Paul's pop songcraft, John's cerebration, storytelling lyrics, nice musical hooks, weird mystical romanticism, and tight multi-layered orchestral production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoVHC0s_sZs#t=1063

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information