Thread: Three Broncos Players That Need to Step Up

1. Default Three Broncos Players That Need to Step Up

The Broncos are entering the fourth playoff game in John Fox’s tenure as the Denver Broncos head coach. The Broncos are 1-2 under John Fox in the playoffs and 34-14 during the regular season. Fox’s teams have lost the last two playoff games and I’m going to give you three players who need to step up in order for them to win against the Chargers.

Continue Reading to find out which players need to step up!
    Your multimedia hub for Denver sports including, TV, radio, web, and social platforms. It all comes together at BSNDenver.com

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived BSN Denver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I agree with Welker and Phillips, but not Prater.

I do think Wes needs to show up but its also dependent upon if Manning gets him the ball enough. With the loss of Miller, Phillips does need to show he can take over especially against his former team. Prater has been pretty much money all year so i expect him to show up. But he third player that i think needs to have a big day is Knowshon. Its that time of year where we need to flex the running game muscle and Moreno is key to that success.

4. The Following 9 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Yeah, if I had to pick three guys who need to step up, it wouldn't be those three, because each has consistently performed all year. About the only exception that comes to mind was Welker disappearing during the NE game, but who DID have a decent game that day? Moreno and Tamme; that's about it.

The big guy (literally) who needs to step up is Sylvester Williams, or Unrein if one prefers: We need a dominant NT to fill Vickersons shoes so SD doesn't run all over our top ten run D as in both previous meetings. Next on the list: Ayers, Mincey and/or Malik Jackson must step up to similarly fill the huge hole left by Derek Wolfes absence. And Nate Irving must do what seems impossible for a third year third round draft pick who STILL only gets on the field if someone's hurt: Fill Von Millers huge shoes as both blitzer and run-stuffer.

Not that those are the only examples. Clark needs to have one of his good rather than one of his bad games, because SDs pass rush got to Manning repeatedly in not only our loss but our WIN against them. Beadles needs to get push at the line and open holes rather than just going downfield to block guys half his size, but he hasn't learned how despite starting every game for 4 years, so I hardly expect it now. Ball must remain as good in relief of Moreno as he's been the last month, and not fumble like he did previously.

On defense, and in addition to the earlier named players, Champ needs to show he's really back and in playoff form, and Woodyard may also; hopefully the bye has helped both of them get 100% healthy. Harris and Adams must vindicate my faith in the former as a legit #1/2 CB and the latter as legit centerfielder FS who fits there far better than anyone else on the team (don'tsayChamp, don'tsayChamp, don'tsayChamp.... ) Ihenacho needs to play like he did in September, not November; finish off runs and get TO without PI penalties.

Depending whether we put Champ/Harris on Gates in the slot, we may need a huge game from Trevathan at Will. On the SD drive that started at their 1 in the last game, we left Gates COMPLETELY UNCOVERED on 3rd and long, which is inexcusable in a HoF caliber TE. He made the catch and extended a drive that went all the way to midfield before we finally forced a punt; although one of our Ds rare stops that day, eating 8:20 of the third quarter before punting to inside our 10 when we were down 14 still did brutal damage.

I'm not worried the team sackleader won't show up for the third meeting against his old team; he's shown up every game all year. Same with Welker: He's been Mannings go-to guy on 3rd and long for the same reason he was Bradys. Prater's only missed ONE kick (FG OR PAT) all year, and it was from 50+; he hit SIX others from that distance, and will be in Mile High: Not bothered. This article seems more like proposed reasons we won't lose than what's indispensable to winning. I mean, good as he's been, Prater hasn't outright WON many games (Dallas comes to mind.)

I guess it really depends on what one means by "so-and-so needs to step up," but if it means "Denver can't win without good days from the guys who've been our top performers each week all year," then three guys who need to step up are Manning, Moreno and DRC, because if they don't play at their typically high level we'll be beaten by halftime. As long as they don't get hurt though it's a safe bet all the guys who always show up will Sunday; it's the half that CAN'T show up (because of IR) that concerns me.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Yeah, if I had to pick three guys who need to step up, it wouldn't be those three, because each has consistently performed all year. About the only exception that comes to mind was Welker disappearing during the NE game, but who DID have a decent game that day? Moreno and Tamme; that's about it.

The big guy (literally) who needs to step up is Sylvester Williams, or Unrein if one prefers: We need a dominant NT to fill Vickersons shoes so SD doesn't run all over our top ten run D as in both previous meetings. Next on the list: Ayers, Mincey and/or Malik Jackson must step up to similarly fill the huge hole left by Derek Wolfes absence. And Nate Irving must do what seems impossible for a third year third round draft pick who STILL only gets on the field if someone's hurt: Fill Von Millers huge shoes as both blitzer and run-stuffer.

Not that those are the only examples. Clark needs to have one of his good rather than one of his bad games, because SDs pass rush got to Manning repeatedly in not only our loss but our WIN against them. Beadles needs to get push at the line and open holes rather than just going downfield to block guys half his size, but he hasn't learned how despite starting every game for 4 years, so I hardly expect it now. Ball must remain as good in relief of Moreno as he's been the last month, and not fumble like he did previously.

On defense, and in addition to the earlier named players, Champ needs to show he's really back and in playoff form, and Woodyard may also; hopefully the bye has helped both of them get 100% healthy. Harris and Adams must vindicate my faith in the former as a legit #1/2 CB and the latter as legit centerfielder FS who fits there far better than anyone else on the team (don'tsayChamp, don'tsayChamp, don'tsayChamp.... ) Ihenacho needs to play like he did in September, not November; finish off runs and get TO without PI penalties.

Depending whether we put Champ/Harris on Gates in the slot, we may need a huge game from Trevathan at Will. On the SD drive that started at their 1 in the last game, we left Gates COMPLETELY UNCOVERED on 3rd and long, which is inexcusable in a HoF caliber TE. He made the catch and extended a drive that went all the way to midfield before we finally forced a punt; although one of our Ds rare stops that day, eating 8:20 of the third quarter before punting to inside our 10 when we were down 14 still did brutal damage.

I'm not worried the team sackleader won't show up for the third meeting against his old team; he's shown up every game all year. Same with Welker: He's been Mannings go-to guy on 3rd and long for the same reason he was Bradys. Prater's only missed ONE kick (FG OR PAT) all year, and it was from 50+; he hit SIX others from that distance, and will be in Mile High: Not bothered. This article seems more like proposed reasons we won't lose than what's indispensable to winning. I mean, good as he's been, Prater hasn't outright WON many games (Dallas comes to mind.)

I guess it really depends on what one means by "so-and-so needs to step up," but if it means "Denver can't win without good days from the guys who've been our top performers each week all year," then three guys who need to step up are Manning, Moreno and DRC, because if they don't play at their typically high level we'll be beaten by halftime. As long as they don't get hurt though it's a safe bet all the guys who always show up will Sunday; it's the half that CAN'T show up (because of IR) that concerns me.
    I agree that Sly needs to step up. I think Sly , Duke, and Irving need to step up.

8. The Following User High Fived Army Bronco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Army Bronco View Post
    I agree that Sly needs to step up. I think Sly , Duke, and Irving need to step up.
    That's a good three as well. I contend our secondary's good enough though that if Sly, Irving and [your DE here] all step up both as run stuffers and pass rushers, we won't need much from Duke except to finish off runs and/or blitz Rivers. We can't give up >100 yds rushing, almost 40:00 of ToP and let a record-breaking offense be limited to <10 possessions again. We can't let them score on the majority of possessions, and let them chew up half a quarter then pin us deep on the few possessions we "stop."

Even the best offense can't be expected to score on every drive of every game. The beauty of ball control teams is that when whoever has the ball last wins, that's usually you.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Is Wolfe back? That is the guy I want to step up along with Sly.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    No. It sounds like he may be done for the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    No, he hasn't practiced yet. There was an update on the Denver Post earlier in the week stating the earliest game he could play would be the SB, and that was a long shot. I'm not sure why they haven't just put him on IR.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Entire Defense needs to step up and make a conscious effort not to draw anymore penalties resulting in 1st downs. We need to play disciplined football.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Yep. Those 3 and another 50 guys need to step it up. One and done would be a disgrace and we cant let it happen. Play to win!

15. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Dissapointed that Wolfe hasnt came back yet. I agree about IR b/c we could have used that roster spot for someone else.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Dissapointed that Wolfe hasnt came back yet. I agree about IR b/c we could have used that roster spot for someone else.
    But if he can return it would br great. Mosley is replacing him. He is taking uo a depth spot.

I want sly to step up this weekend and destroy the middle of SD line.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information