Thread: The physical DB play during the 49ers @ Packers game

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

Default The physical DB play during the 49ers @ Packers game

While I was rooting for the Packers during this game, in that first quarter, it seemed that the Packer DBs were getting away with some serious pass interference calls in the end zone. But, as it turned out, when Rogers finally started throwing himself, in the 2nd quarter, the San Fran DBs were playing just as physical in the end zone but didn't get any flags against them either.

This leads a lot of fans and commentators to be satisfied that the Refs are at least calling it both ways. Or in other words, "a fair game".

But, is it really "fair"????

Lets compare the San Fran Receivers to the Packer Receivers (not all, just the notables):

SF WR: Anquan Boldin = Large physical rcvr who commonly uses his body to give himself leverage and has great hands.
    SF WR: Michael Crabtree = (this guy plays great with Kap slinging it) Physical WR who also uses his size to box out Defenders and has great hands.
    SF TE: Vernon Davis = Outstanding strong TE who also uses his size and strength to get leverage on defenders but is also very capable of beating them deep.

GB WR: Jordy Nelson = Strong rcvr who can fight to get open, but depends on quickness and speed.
    GB WR: Randall Cobb = Finesse rcvr with great speed and quickness and very good at finding gaps in defenses.
    GB WR: James Jones = Usually a deep threat, but needs the likes of a top WR opposite of him in order to be productive.

So, no matter who the DBs are, if the Refs allow them to be more physical than they usually would, which team has the advantage?

The way I see it, when Refs don't make those calls, ESPECIALLY in the end zone (just like yesterday), this highly benefits a team like San Fran. Sure, one can argue that it's the Packers fault for building a finesse rcving corps, but I would argue that the Packers built that rcving crew based on the fact that they shouldn't have to worry about the refs not doing their job and that finesse rcvrs are good rcvrs to have when playing within the rules.

The bottom line for me is, if the Refs DO make those calls, especially in the end zone, it is still "fair" and consistent, AND neither team has the advantage. And THAT is why there are rules and THAT is why the Refs are there in the first place.

Thoughts?

Adopted Bronco:

The SF receivers also have to face guys like Petersen, Finnegan and Sherman each twice a year and outside of the Chicago duo...the NFC North is relatively weak at the CB position. As far as reasons for building a team a certain way, you have to look at the competition you will face the most during a season.

But, as far as allowing players to play. That is and always will be a case by case basis. The NFL has turned into such a passing advantage league that you can watch any one single game without seeing receivers asking for flags at least 10 times. So, when you get a refreshing break from the norm like we did yesterday, that allows players to be physical and play...relish it. You may not see anything remotely close to that again this post-season.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    The SF receivers also have to face guys like Petersen, Finnegan and Sherman each twice a year and outside of the Chicago duo...the NFC North is relatively weak at the CB position. As far as reasons for building a team a certain way, you have to look at the competition you will face the most during a season.

But, as far as allowing players to play. That is and always will be a case by case basis. The NFL has turned into such a passing advantage league that you can watch any one single game without seeing receivers asking for flags at least 10 times. So, when you get a refreshing break from the norm like we did yesterday, that allows players to be physical and play...relish it. You may not see anything remotely close to that again this post-season.

I'm all for physical play, especially when it's not against the Broncos. But, I just strongly feel that if you have a rule, you either enforce it, or you remove it. It seems that in the end zone, refs put their tails between their legs and refuse to uphold the rules because they don't want the attention. Guess what, don't be a ref then. Do the job you're paid for, or go away.

What physical aspect about this game that I do miss is the big hits. Not this grabbing and holding down field that the refs don't call if it's in the end zone.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

You are worried about decker aren't you?

5. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    You are worried about decker aren't you?
    Hey, my kids bought me Assassin's Creed: Black Flag for Christmas and at first, I wasn't too crazy about playing it but that game turned out to be pretty awesome.

7. The Following User High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

I like it. It's the playoffs. Let the best team win.

I still wonder if the League Office is setting the Legion of Dope up for a fall, but I still don't care HOW the call it as long as they call it the SAME for both teams. The '9ers have been riding Gore more than Kaepernick/Smith for years, while Green Bay won their last two SBs with a running game that could only generously be called average, and SFs D is markedly better than theirs anyway. In other words, if letting them play gave anyone an advantage it was GB.

The '9ers are a much better team, but settling for FGs twice inside the 10 and giving up a TD when Keapernick threw a pick well inside FG range made it close. The refs didn't decide that game.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information