Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The 49rs are in trouble... EXTREME COLD!

Default The 49rs are in trouble... EXTREME COLD!

The Packers are going to have a big advantage in this game. There is freezing cold, then there is extreme, even dangerous cold. The wind chills in Green Bay on Sunday will dip below -30F before this game is over. Living in Colorado, I know some of you folks have experienced extreme cold wind. However, I don't know how many of you have ever tried to use your hands and work in it. I think this game will come down to who can overcome the initial shock of being out in that kind of windchill. I just can't grasp the 49ers being able to do that, even against a suspect Green Bay defense. The weather is going to force both teams into mostly short yardage plays. The team that's better able mentally and physically to handle those plays at that temperature will win this game hands down. Green Bay's advantage comes from having at least practiced in relatively cold temperatures all week. In comparison, the 49ers have been practicing in 60F weather. I cannot see how they won't be in total shock. The Packers will deal with the cold better and I expect them to score more points. Eddie Lacy will break them through the ice and straight into divisional round.
    Last edited by pulse; 01-02-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. --Tyrion Lannister, from George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones
    Everybody has a preference. Some guys like them round. Some guys like them thin. Some guys like them tacky. Some guys like them brand new. Some guys like old balls. --Tom Brady

I think that would actually give the advantage to the 49ers because they're more of a smash mouth team than GB. The weather will make it hard to be successful in the passing game.

3. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Could be bad for san fran, maybe not. There have been playoff games where warm weather teams played pretty good in brutal conditions...san diego at cinncinati, I dont remember the year, but it was below zero..You could say the cowboys stayed with the packers until the end of the 1967 ice bowl...oakland had New england beat in the snow save for a tuck rule fumble that should have gone to oakland

I would agree that the 49ers are a more physical offense in normal conditions; however, I wouldn't say that Green Bay can't pound the ball. They depended heavily on being physical and running the ball when Rodgers was out. The biggest issue in a game like this is being able to execute your offense in adverse conditions. For certain, that kind of cold is adverse. I believe Green Bay's game plan will be to use the cold to their advantage and ride Lacy, not Rodgers, in this game. The 49ers will be spending too much of their time trying to adjust and overcome the shock of just being out there in that kind of extreme weather, much less trying to stay focused on what they do best.
    Last edited by pulse; 01-02-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. --Tyrion Lannister, from George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones
    Everybody has a preference. Some guys like them round. Some guys like them thin. Some guys like them tacky. Some guys like them brand new. Some guys like old balls. --Tom Brady

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    I would agree that the 49ers are a more physical offense in normal conditions; however, I wouldn't say that Green Bay can't pound the ball. They depended heavily on being physical and running the ball when Rodgers was out. The biggest issue in a game like this is being able to execute your offense in adverse conditions. For certain, that kind of cold is adverse. I believe Green Bay's game plan will be to use the cold to their advantage and ride Lacy, not Rodgers, in this game. The 49ers will be spending too much of their time trying to adjust and overcome the shock of just being out there in that kind of extreme weather, much less trying to stay focused on what they do best.
    These guys get paid millions of dollars to play football. The 49ers aren't going to spend the majority of the time just trying to get use to the elements.

I agree that GB can pound the ball. The big difference my friend is that SF has a stout defense; Green Bay does not.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

On a somewhat related note, I've always wondered how much of the decision whether to wear sleeves or not is a macho thing and how much of it is a tactical thing...

I know linemen don't like to give their opponents anything to grab onto - and sometimes ball carriers like to be able to feel the ball... But how can you not wear sleeves in -30 weather?

Q: Who has the better run game?
    A: 49ERS

Q: Who has the better Defense?
    A: 49ERS

They are better at what you need to win in cold games. I'm not worried one bit about them playing in the cold. In my opinion whoever wins this game will represent the NFC In the Super Bowl.

9. The Following User High Fived AngMunoz1987 For This Post:

Bad weather games often favor the offense that passes well as it weather places a great burden on defenders. The weather is harder for the defender to overcome, as he is reacting to the offensive player. Assuming that this premise holds up for the game, I think the Packers have a large advantage.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

During the "Ice Bowl" in 1967, Dallas players dealt with the cold by shoving their hands into their pants. San Franciscans will deal with the cold by shoving their hands in someone else's pants.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

12. The Following 7 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    During the "Ice Bowl" in 1967, Dallas players dealt with the cold by shoving their hands into their pants. San Franciscans will deal with the cold by shoving their hands in someone else's pants.
    Nice...

Tattoo boi did grow up in Wisconsin for what it's worth...

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Packers are used to cold weather so should have the advantage and hopefully win. I also think the Saints win at Philly despite being a dome team.
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

The frozen tundra of Lambaue field..........

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Kaep cant play in the cold.

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

So Indy couldnt sell out the playoff game? Its in a dome, Its not even cold. What a bunch of crappy fans there are in Indy. Who doesnt sell out a playoff game? smh

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    So Indy couldnt sell out the playoff game? Its in a dome, Its not even cold. What a bunch of crappy fans there are in Indy. Who doesnt sell out a playoff game? smh
    Its ok, they got the PA system which will make it sound like its packed.

21. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information