Thread: Wes Welker Shouldn't Play Until Playoffs

1. Default Wes Welker Shouldn't Play Until Playoffs

This weekend the Broncos can secure the number one seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs before they even step on the field Sunday. This will happen due to the fact that they play the afternoon game and New England plays the early game. If New England loses on Sunday, Denver’s game means nothing.

The outcome of the early game in New England will likely determine how much the starters will play, or if they even play.

Regardless of whether or not New England wins or the starters play. One player should be held out no matter what. That player is wide receiver Wes Welker.

Wes Welker has had a number of injuries this season and has normally been able to play through them.

In week 11 when the Broncos played the Kansas City Chiefs Welker suffered his first concussion of the season. He healed quickly and was able to play in week 12 against the New England Patriots.

Two weeks later against the Tennessee Titans Welker suffered another concussion. This was his second in three weeks. Suffering two concussions in three weeks five years ago would not have been as big of a deal. But in today’s safety protocol you have to pass numerous tests before even being able to practice let alone play.

Due to a short week with the Broncos playing on Thursday it was very clear Welker was not going to play. He was not cleared by doctors the following week either and sat out week 16 against the Texans.

Now five days away from the final regular season game, John Fox has not officially said, but its apparent Welker won’t play Sunday either...CONTINUE READING
    Your multimedia hub for Denver sports including, TV, radio, web, and social platforms. It all comes together at BSNDenver.com

I was talking to my boy about this, he said he doesn't think it would be good to sit for that many weeks and then try to start him in the playoff game, too much time off and not a good time to try to shake off the rust. After he laid it out, I had to agree with him. Even if it's limited, it's better for him to get some reps during a game.

3. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Hmm. The NFL official site has both the Pats and Broncos playing the late afternoon games.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Hmm. The NFL official site has both the Pats and Broncos playing the late afternoon games.
    Yup... The NFL moved the Pats game to the late slot so the Broncos game would "matter" just in case the Pats go down. This article must have been written before that happened??

Supporting the Denver Broncos all the way from North Carolina!

7. The Following User High Fived camdisco24 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miles

If he is medically cleared to play, and the Dr's feel there isn't any additional risk over any other game, I don't see why you wouldn't play him.

If he still has lingering effects, then sure, sit him.
    The best powder is pure, dry, light fluffy Colorado powder!

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived powderaddict For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

i don't play a doctor on TV or anything, so i don't really feel qualified to comment. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

The team still has to beat Oakland. Home-field advantage has not been clinched and against a division opponent anything can happen. If Welker is available, he needs to play.

Id play Welker but very little. Just get him in to get the rust off, maybe play him for 2 quarters.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I'd play him only in third down or goal line situations where the game might turn if the first down isn't picked up. Sit him the rest of the time. Assuming he is cleared to play at all, of course. A couple of sideline routes where he doesn't have to take a hit over the middle, that's all.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Quote Originally Posted by powderaddict View Post
    If he is medically cleared to play, and the Dr's feel there isn't any additional risk over any other game, I don't see why you wouldn't play him.

If he still has lingering effects, then sure, sit him.
    I'm no doctor either. But from what I've read the NFL concussion protocol/process is very strict/regimented. If WW still has "lingering effects" from his last concussion he wouldn't be allowed on the field to practice, much less play.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Play him exclusively on third downs.
    In Elway We Trust

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information