Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53

Thread: hot sauces

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Elpaso TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks
    Posts
    31,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I don't mess with bottled hot sauces any more. I can't have preservatives or conservatives, or any artificial stuff in my diet anymore.

    Clay, the Yucateco sauces were my favorite too. I used to get a sleeve of Ritz crackers, put pieces of fresh avocado on them and douse them in the Yucateco habanero sauce.


    Now I just take a fresh habanero, seeds and all, and dice it finely. Toss it into a small bowl and squeeze a few fresh limes and that's it. Fresh habanero salsa in a couple of minutes. That or take a couple habaneros and a clove of garlic, puree them with a drizzle of olive oil. Also very good.

    I can't stand that vinegary taste of some of the bottled sauces.
    Im going to try that with the lime and Habenero. Have you tried jalapenos w lime? I know what you mean about the vinegar. I cant stand pickled jalapenos. I have to have them fresh.,
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

  2. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:


  3. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Im going to try that with the lime and Habenero. Have you tried jalapenos w lime? I know what you mean about the vinegar. I cant stand pickled jalapenos. I have to have them fresh.,
    I haven't tried that with jalapenos. Estela will sometimes take a couple jalapenos, or chile de arbol (little bit hotter than a jalapeno), and stick them in the blender with either a couple of tomatoes and a clove of garlic (for a fresh red salsa) or with a couple of tomatillos (for a green salsa)

    We use it when we make tacos or tostadas at home. Really good.

  4. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:


  5. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Elpaso TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks
    Posts
    31,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I haven't tried that with jalapenos. Estela will sometimes take a couple jalapenos, or chile de arbol (little bit hotter than a jalapeno), and stick them in the blender with either a couple of tomatoes and a clove of garlic (for a fresh red salsa) or with a couple of tomatillos (for a green salsa)

    We use it when we make tacos or tostadas at home. Really good.
    That sounds good. Im so hungry now. Never got into making salsa, but its something ive always wanted to do.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam
    Posts
    35,024

    Default

    I like Tapatillo and Valentina.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Butt
    Posts
    41,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I don't mess with bottled hot sauces any more. I can't have preservatives or conservatives, or any artificial stuff in my diet anymore.

    Clay, the Yucateco sauces were my favorite too. I used to get a sleeve of Ritz crackers, put pieces of fresh avocado on them and douse them in the Yucateco habanero sauce.


    Now I just take a fresh habanero, seeds and all, and dice it finely. Toss it into a small bowl and squeeze a few fresh limes and that's it. Fresh habanero salsa in a couple of minutes. That or take a couple habaneros and a clove of garlic, puree them with a drizzle of olive oil. Also very good.

    I can't stand that vinegary taste of some of the bottled sauces.
    This is where I'm at. My wife planted a bunch of thai chili bushes last summer, so now I just pick a couple, mince them and add it to whatever I'm eating. Much better than any bottled hot sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    I love our president.
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    ...yash had good takes.

  8. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:


  9. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I don't mess with bottled hot sauces any more. I can't have preservatives or conservatives, or any artificial stuff in my diet anymore.

    Clay, the Yucateco sauces were my favorite too. I used to get a sleeve of Ritz crackers, put pieces of fresh avocado on them and douse them in the Yucateco habanero sauce.


    Now I just take a fresh habanero, seeds and all, and dice it finely. Toss it into a small bowl and squeeze a few fresh limes and that's it. Fresh habanero salsa in a couple of minutes. That or take a couple habaneros and a clove of garlic, puree them with a drizzle of olive oil. Also very good.

    I can't stand that vinegary taste of some of the bottled sauces.
    There's nothing artificial in Tobasco. It's ingredients are salt, vinegar, red pepper, and water.

  10. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Adopted Bronco:
    Hingle McCringleberry
    Posts
    11,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    If you haven't tried it, the Chili Pepper Sauce from Trader Joes is real good on everything.
    We are finally getting a Trader Joes in Colorado. Can't wait!

  11. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    If you haven't tried it, the Chili Pepper Sauce from Trader Joes is real good on everything.
    Really. I love TJs but am stuck on my staples with hot sauce (Cholula/Tapatio/Sriracha, Louisiana if it's going in a drink) as far as hot sauces go and never gave it a chance. Will have to try it.

    DESPISE Tabasco, ugh, that stuff is awful.

    What Franks are you guys getting for buffalo sauce? I tried one variety and it was really vinegary. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something.
    Last edited by tomjonesrocks; 12-18-2013 at 04:11 PM.

  12. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    There's nothing artificial in Tobasco. It's ingredients are salt, vinegar, red pepper, and water.
    The vinegar ruins it for me Mr Mayor.

  13. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

    SR

  14. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    The vinegar ruins it for me Mr Mayor.
    You can't have vinegar?

  15. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    You can't have vinegar?
    I don't like the way it tastes. I can eat or drink it if I wanted to. Once I started making fresh salsas I found that I like them better.

  16. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I don't like the way it tastes. I can eat or drink it if I wanted to. Once I started making fresh salsas I found that I like them better.
    Fresh Salsas definitely are the bomb. I just like to put tobasco on my pizza and also eggs.

  17. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:


  18. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Fresh Salsas definitely are the bomb. I just like to put tobasco on my pizza and also eggs.
    I'm not hating on anyone's preference so I hope I don't sound like a salsa snob. I like the acidity coming from a lime/citrus instead of the vinegar. One of the reasons why I preferred some of the Texas barbecue sauces over the ones I had in the Carolinas, I think. The damn vinegar.

  19. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:


  20. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I'm not hating on anyone's preference so I hope I don't sound like a salsa snob. I like the acidity coming from a lime/citrus instead of the vinegar. One of the reasons why I preferred some of the Texas barbecue sauces over the ones I had in the Carolinas, I think. The damn vinegar.
    I agree with you in that regard. When I get Mexican I don't use tobasco. I like the authentic ingredients combined with a fresh squeezed lime. Pizza however, gotta have my tobasco.

    I guess to some extent I do like vinegar. I use wine vinegar in a lot of my marinades, and also use it in the authentic ceasar dressing I make. I make authentic ceasar quite a bit. My family loves it.

  21. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:


  22. #30

    Default

    What about those red chili flakes on your pizza? I got a Hawaiian from the local joint and I enjoyed the heat contrast with the pineapple.

  23. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

    SR

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hot Sauces
    By REB in forum What's on your Mind (Chit Chat)
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group