Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MLB intends to ban plate collisions

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default MLB intends to ban plate collisions

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.—Pete Rose sounded bowled over.

Charlie Hustle, who famously flattened Ray Fosse to score the winning run in the 1970 All-Star game, couldn't believe Major League Baseball intends to eliminate home-plate collisions by 2015 at the latest.

"What are they going to do next, you can't break up a double play?" Rose said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press after MLB announced its plan Wednesday.

"You're not allowed to pitch inside. The hitters wear more armor than the Humvees in Afghanistan. Now you're not allowed to try to be safe at home plate?" Rose said. "What's the game coming to? Evidently the guys making all these rules never played the game of baseball."
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...ate-collisions

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

That's really great that MLB wants to ban collisions at home plate. Now HOW do you go about doing that? You don't have a penalty box in baseball. You can't flag the runner 15 yards. Suspend the catcher if he blocks home plate? Suspend the runner if he doesn't slide? What if the throw is slightly up the third base line and the catcher needs to go get it?

Just like the NFL, I suspect the cures are going to be worse than the disease.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    That's really great that MLB wants to ban collisions at home plate. Now HOW do you go about doing that? You don't have a penalty box in baseball. You can't flag the runner 15 yards. Suspend the catcher if he blocks home plate? Suspend the runner if he doesn't slide? What if the throw is slightly up the third base line and the catcher needs to go get it?

Just like the NFL, I suspect the cures are going to be worse than the disease.
    After reading the article is sounds pretty clear that the onus is on the baserunner to avoid the collision. I actually think it will be relatively easy to police - and the net effect will be pretty minimal. Though I understand the objections - it seems like they ought to let the big boys play big boy baseball.

6. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

I believe the last base runner to legally crash into a catcher at home plate is David Ross of the World Champion Boston Red Sox.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I hate this idea
    Let's Rid3!!!!

9. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Boooooo
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

We saw this coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

While we're at it why don't we just make the ball bigger, paint it neon yellow, and make pitchers pitch underhand?
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    While we're at it why don't we just make the ball bigger, paint it neon yellow, and make pitchers pitch underhand?
    Meh - the football rule changes are a lot more drastic. I think this is basically a moot point. It's such a small and insignificant part of the game.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Catcher is a pretty important position in baseball. I don't really blame them for trying to protect those guys. One thing I think will be hard is for the catchers to not block the plate. They've been taught to hunker down, block the plate and wait for the relay or outfield throw since they were in Little League.

Adopted Bronco:

As a lifelong catcher, I like it from the stance of avoiding being trucked by someone running full speed at the catcher. But, I have a hard time seeing catchers NOT blocking the plate and thus, the question of the runner having access to the plate comes about. Are they just suppose to concede the out? It'll be interesting to see it play out.

The other question that comes to mind is What's next? How about taking out the infielder at 2nd base on double play attempts? I've probably seen more injuries occur there than anywhere else.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I'd love for Pete Rose to take over as the next commish.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

20. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

wow.....

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default MLB adopts rule on collisions at plate

Major League Baseball and its players have banned most home plate collisions but left open an exception if the catcher has the ball and is blocking the runner's direct path to home plate.

A new rule, 7.13, was adopted by MLB and the players' association on a one-year experimental basis, the sides said Monday.

A comment attached to the rule states "the failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner's lowering of the shoulder, or the runner's pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation."
    rest - http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...ns-1-exception

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm fine with this. Baseball is not a contact sport. Plate collisions just put people at too big of a risk for injury. I just don't see the necessity of the play.

What I'm wondering is how it will be enforced. I assume they will either award an automatic run or call an automatic out based on who the ump deems to have initiated the contact.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information