Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vickerson out six weeks

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Vickerson out six weeks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...out-six-weeks/

Report: Kevin Vickerson dislocated his hip, out six weeks

Posted by Josh Alper on November 26, 2013, 7:49 AM EST

The Broncos expect to have cornerback Champ Bailey and tight end Julius Thomas back in the lineup for their date with the Chiefs in Week 13, but it doesn’t look like they’ll have defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Vickerson dislocated his hip in Sunday night’s overtime loss to the Patriots. Per Schefter, Vickerson doesn’t need surgery to repair the injury, but he’s expected to be out for six weeks so his season could be over if the Broncos don’t survive in the playoffs long enough for Vickerson to get a clean bill of health.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

That really sucks.
    He's been a force in the middle all year.
    "Chickens are dope..." - Von Miller

4. The Following 14 Users High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

I knew he left the game, but the possibility of an injury that severe slipped right by me in all the fretting over DRC and Moreno. And yes, it really does suck, because he has been an incredible force in the middle this year. Since midway through last year, actually; I keep referring to a tweet he sent from last years TC about gaining 50 lbs. while nearly halving his body fat percentage. It was definitely visible when he and Knighton stood up next to each other at the line between plays Sunday: Porkchop's got Dunlops Disease (he done lopped over his belt) but Big Vick looks VERY trim, especially for a guy listed at 348.

I just hope they checked him out VERY thoroughly, because watching one of ESPNs retrospectives (not sure the program) on Bo Jackson recently I heard him talking about the injury that ended his career: A dislocated hip on what looked like a routine tackle. It probably WOULD'VE been routine for anyone else, but Bo was evidently running so hard that when he was grabbed by the ankles his body just kept going and his hip came free, so he popped it back in on the field and no one believed him when he said it was dislocated, because "obviously" no one could reinsert their own dislocated hip.

What stuck in my mind, and came back to mind reading this, was that months later, in the offseason, a closer examination revealed that not only was his hip dislocated, but a major artery in the hip was severed in the process, and ever since he'd been (as Bo put it) essentially bleeding into his hip socket while all the tissue that had lost its blood supply slowly atrophied around his femur. The doctors quickly did emergency corrective surgery, but the dead tissue stayed dead; Bo never played another down of football, and was a shadow of his former self even in baseball.

Hopes and prayers go with Kevin Vickerson for a full, speedy and as painless as possible recovery, 'cause we can't spare him and no one should go out like that, especially not after working his way up from obscurity to become a key starter on a SB contending team. One person to go out and win a Ring for this season; maybe that and knowing he was a big contributor to the 9 wins that helped make it possible will take some of the sting out of what must be an excrutiating injury. In the mean time, he's earned thanks for his huge effort each week and for leaving it all on the field.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

6. The Following 6 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

I know this is true for many teams, every year, but injuries have been brutal for us this year. I don't think we've played one game yet where someone hasn't gone out with an injury.

8. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    I know this is true for many teams, every year, but injuries have been brutal for us this year. I don't think we've played one game yet where someone hasn't gone out with an injury.
    Id be interested to see how many man-games Denver has lost to injury from its starters compared to other NFL teams.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Hey Joel:

You normally make pretty good points and provoke thought/discussion, but the ungodly length of your posts make them unreadable. Can you not articulate a thought without writing a seven page dissertation?

This is not a bash on Joel - just trying to get him to realize he's probably the only one reading his lengthy posts.

12. The Following 13 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Time for the rook to step up.

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

That hurts. Unrien and Sly will need to step it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Wolfe and Jackson will have to take some reps at DT as well. I hope they don't IR him, we could need him in the playoffs.
    RIP BroncosFreak and OrangeMane

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived chanesaw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

this hurts. He has been playing great. I think he even had a sack on sunday

20. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

In my opinion Big Vick has had his best season this season. sucks because he and Knighton have proven to be a force to try and run against. Hopefully Sly is ready to step up.

22. The Following 5 Users High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Hey Joel:

You normally make pretty good points and provoke thought/discussion, but the ungodly length of your posts make them unreadable. Can you not articulate a thought without writing a seven page dissertation?

This is not a bash on Joel - just trying to get him to realize he's probably the only one reading his lengthy posts.
    I try to be thorough, both on principle and because I got tired of people angrily shouting, "you forgot this obvious fact everyone knows, proving you're an idiot!" It's hard to be comprehensively brief.

That's not a defense or objection (I also try hard to avoid things that can be taken wrong, which adds length, too) just an explanation.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos' Kevin Vickerson out at least six weeks with hip injury

Sylvester Williams, you're the next man up.

The Broncos received some tough news Tuesday when tests revealed starting defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson suffered a dislocated hip in the second half of the team's loss to New England, according to an NFL source.

A dislocated hip is a minimum six-week injury. The Broncos must decide whether to put Vickerson on season-ending injured reserve, or carry him in case the team reaches the AFC championship game or Super Bowl XLVIII.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...east-six-weeks

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

from same article:
    Vickerson is the second defensive starter the Broncos have lost in two weeks. Last week, the Broncos placed safety Rahim Moore on injured reserve designated to return in six weeks after he underwent surgery to correct a blood flow condition in his lower left leg.

No team can use the injured reserve designated to return a second time.
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...east-six-weeks

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Id be interested to see how many man-games Denver has lost to injury from its starters compared to other NFL teams.
    It honestly seems to me like it's been pretty brutal. I noted going into the last KC game that they're the only AFC contender not missing a(t least one) Pro Bowler, often likely HoFers, for the season.

The Pats were missing three in just their front seven, plus an All Pro tackle: All gone for the year (plus their top three CBs and Gronk were playing hurt; no excuse for losing that game, but anyway....)

Indy lost Reggie Wayne for the year at the end of our game.

Cincy lost Geno Atkins for the year.

Now KC's lost Houston and Hali, though at least one of them looks likely for Sunday, and both will probably be back before the season ends.

That's just among top AFC teams. Try this list; it's a little broad since it includes everyone from TC to Mondays gun (e.g. Koppen's listed even though he never played a down for us even in preseason, and Hali's listed as Out even though he'll almost certainly play Sunday) but has the advantage of listing every currently reported injury on ever team: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...3/injuries.htm

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information