Thread: Broncos vs. Chiefs II: Preview and Prediction

1. Default Broncos vs. Chiefs II: Preview and Prediction

For the second time in three weeks, the Denver Broncos will play the Kansas City Chiefs. This time the game will be played in the Chiefs house. And if they play like they did last week at home it will be a long day for them.

Two weeks ago on November, 17th Kansas City traveled to Denver for a huge AFC West match up. The stakes in the game were high, not only first place in the AFC West, but the first seed in the entire AFC.

The Broncos ended up winning the game 27-17. The Chiefs fell behind in the second half by 10 points, and their lack of fire power on offense prevented them from coming back.

The Chiefs were unable to get to Peyton Manning in the game, and were only able to force one turnover. That came off a botched handoff, and the Chiefs lost a fumble the next play and were unable to capitalize.

Round two will be quite different for both teams though. Injuries have plagued both teams in the week since they have played. The Chiefs have already ruled out their leading pass rusher for this game, Justin Houston and their other stud rusher, Tamba Hali, is questionable for the game.

The Broncos have their own concerns as well. They did get some good news though. Veteran Champ Bailey is probable for this game, as so is running back Knowshon Moreno. Breakout tight end, Julius Thomas, however is listed as questionable with a knee injury he suffered in the first meeting and we have been told by one source close to Julius that he will probably miss the game. Thomas had three catches for 43 yards and a touchdown when the teams played two weeks ago. Also listed as questionable on the injury report is cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He allowed only two catches for 28 yards in the first outing. When Rodgers-Cromartie injured his shoulder late in the first half last week he had not allowed a catch. Kayvon Webster, who replaced him, allowed six catches for 58 yards... CONTINUE READING
    Your multimedia hub for Denver sports including, TV, radio, web, and social platforms. It all comes together at BSNDenver.com

The Chiefs desperately need a "statement game" tomorrow, and have their backs to the wall: A Denver win would all but clinch the AFCW; even if KC won their rest, we'd have to lose twice to lose the division, and it's unlikely the Pats will lose a game against their remaining crap schedule, so homefield would be off the table regardless. The Chiefs need this game at least as badly as we needed the last one, and have less time than we did to make up a loss, plus, like us then, they're at home.

All that has me a little worried, but the last time I was confident we blew a 24-0 lead, so maybe it's best I worry. On paper, we should win handily if we play as well as last time (good protection, only one turnover immediately negated, solid D against both Charles—even at the goal line—and Smiths suddenly deep accurate passing.) On paper, last week should've been a rout. Champions don't lose games they should win; hopefully tomorrow proves us a champion and last week an aberration. Still wish Big Vick were there to contain Charles.

It'll be interesting to see how much was talk and how much for real when Reid and Del Rio both said playing each other twice in two weeks allows little chance for big changes to the gameplan. Injuries make a difference, but KCs gameplan two weeks ago gave us a 17 point second half lead (not 10; their offense DID have enough punch to pull within two scores once we went Prevent, but that was too little too late.) If it's the same gameplan vs. the same gameplan it's doubtful subtracting Vickerson and Houston while adding the crowd make a 10 pt difference.

The Chiefs know that, too, though, and how our last meeting went. If they lean on Charles more and we can't stop him without Vickerson, and if they try more exotic blitzes than they felt necessary a game up and 9-0 with a second chance two weeks later, it may not be the same game. We MUST limit our turnovers to no more than in the last meeting, not cough it up 4 times like we did against NE (and Washington, and Indy.) We're not playing a 3-8 team tomorrow: Give it up like a cheerleader on prom night and we lose badly.
    Last edited by Joel; 11-30-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Huge game for the Broncos, even bigger than last week.

Weather should not be a factor, so the question is whether KC can manage to stifle 3 rather than 4 big offensive weapons, assuming JT is on the sidelines again.

Quote Originally Posted by embeeteeay View Post
    Huge game for the Broncos, even bigger than last week.

Weather should not be a factor, so the question is whether KC can manage to stifle 3 rather than 4 big offensive weapons, assuming JT is on the sidelines again.
    Looks like that could still go either way. I wondered two weeks ago and still do just how much Reid kept up his sleeve. He could afford to lose that game; all it did was leave us tied, with a chance for them to pull back in front at home two weeks later. Now that chance is here, and they've lost a divisional game to start a potential STREAK of losses, with no more margin for error: Lose and we're effectively up two games with just four left. Their backs to the wall, the venue favors them and they know it.

I saw an article from Legwold over at ESPN just now essentially saying KCs DBs kept it vanilla against us last time, staying in their base as we moved DT all over the field to keep him matched up on their rookie castoff from SF, whom DT repeatedly burned, rather than moving their best CBs around to keep them on DT and Welker (though Flowers did shadow Welker all game.) I kind of doubt that happens this time since it was such a disaster two weeks ago; I expect Smith on DT, Flowers concussing Welker, Berry on JT (if he plays, which depends on whom one asks.)

Hopefully Decker has a game like he did @Arrowhead in 2011; we may need it. Hopefully Houstons absence and Halis ankle sprain deters all out blitzes, something else we didn't see last time: They rarely rushed >5, but never got to Manning (just as they didn't harry Rivers in last weeks loss.) Once again, they have every reason to pull out all the stops and none to keep any hidden surprises. The one thing we can with certainty about the game plan two weeks ago is that it left them in the hole 17 pts in the fourth quarter and they never closed the gap.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Clubber Lang's Prediction for Sunday's game....

P A I N ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    Last edited by Captain Speardog; 12-02-2013 at 12:46 AM.

6. The Following User High Fived Captain Speardog For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Well, i had a bad feeling about the NE game and the same could be said here. Winning in KC in December is never a easy and this team albeit overrated is much better than past Chiefs teams. They will come out wanting to prove something today.

8. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Well, i had a bad feeling about the NE game and the same could be said here. Winning in KC in December is never a easy and this team albeit overrated is much better than past Chiefs teams. They will come out wanting to prove something today.
    I had a bad feeling about the NE game (being in NE, and just how good Brady and company have been for so long), but the way it ended was just a kick in the ____. Hopefully, it refocuses the team and makes them realize that they could watch it all slip away if they don't start playing at a higher level -- or more accurately, a high level for whole games.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I had a bad feeling about the NE game (being in NE, and just how good Brady and company have been for so long), but the way it ended was just a kick in the ____. Hopefully, it refocuses the team and makes them realize that they could watch it all slip away if they don't start playing at a higher level -- or more accurately, a high level for whole games.
    Yea, that was way worse. I was thinking it would be a back and forth game but when we went up 24-0 nothing i thought there was no way we could lose it but like a true champion we found a way.

12. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

My prediction is if the Broncos defense plays with anger, then they will smear the Chiefs all over Arrow Head.

If they do not play with anger, the Chiefs will keep it close.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

statement game.. Manning and offense will need to score and keep scoring.. They cannot play like NE or we will lose. Defense is all banged up and I expect The Chiefs to be able to move the ball today… so Manning and O and the soft as baby dookie WR's better come to play.. that Means u Thomas and Decker…

------------------------------------
    edit: Decker and Thomas balled out!!! well done guys!
    Last edited by nevcraw; 12-01-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Moreno was scared to death what Denver's offense was going to do to the Chiefs.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information