Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: False start on new deal for disgruntled Broncos receiver Marshall

Default False start on new deal for disgruntled Broncos receiver Marshall

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:13 am EDT

By Mark Miller

Wide receiver Brandon Marshall(notes) has been trying o get himself traded from the Denver Broncos for some time now, but it was starting to look like he might be staying in the Mile High City for a few years to come yesterday when a rumor came around, thanks to ESPN, that the team had made a contract-extension proposal to Marshall. That proposal was apparently rejected earlier in training camp after some discussion between the two sides, according to the Denver Post.

An extension seems extra strange right now since Marshall is just coming off a whole lot of bad publicity for not showing as much effort as his teammates in a recent practice. The word is that the Broncos have had a very difficult time trying to trade Marshall due to maturity issues so now the team has decided to grin and bear it for the long haul and hope he doesn't turn into a total Terrell Owens(notes) type of distraction.

He's making $2.198 million this season. And you can bet any kind of talk of a contract extension has got Marshall feeling good since he's been publicly begging for one for months now. But there's no word if the Broncos will put out another extension offer to Marshall now or if the team is just done with the whole mess.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...urn=nfl,188557

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

we need to be honest and just admit that this team needs Marshall. It does.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

4. The Following 9 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,188581

Brandon Marshall: Wah, I'm mad. Broncos: Okay, here's $30m.

By MJD

In an unforeseen development in the Brandon Marshall(notes) controversy, the Broncos now apparently want to give him a contract extension.

That's the word from ESPN's Adam Schefter, who quotes a couple of league sources as saying that a potential deal would put Marshall's salary in line with those of the top receivers in the game. Just for comparison's sake, Larry Fitzgerald(notes) made $17 million last year, Randy Moss(notes) made $14 million, and Terrell Owens(notes) made $13 million (those numbers include signing bonuses and base salary).

Previously, Marshall had been trying to get the Broncos to trade him. To his credit, he used some brilliant, if not also appalling, methods (video at that link). Honestly, I'm a little surprised that they didn't work. Marshall ended up getting suspended by the team, and was reinstated over the weekend.

The obvious danger here for the Broncos is that they'd be rewarding idiotic and childish behavior, which they already did once this offseason when they let Jay Cutler(notes) whine his way into a trade to Chicago. If the Cutler trade had never gone down, Marshall may have never started acting like a complete 'bag.

So now, with Marshall's behavior taking jackassery to a new level, if he gets what he wants, what kind of message does that send to the next guy looking for a raise? I don't even want to think about what he'd do to top Marshall. Give Josh McDaniels a wedgie and hang him up in the locker room by the back of his underwear? Pour sugar in Pat Bowlen's gas tank?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

In the comments below the article:

Eric L you are delusional.
    I'll give you Moreno. That cat looks awesome, but you can't ell me your O line is any where near beast worthy. I do like Clady though, but elsewhere there are issues.
    You mean help SIMMS. Orton will get himself booted out a of a job by week 4...if he lives...oh, and hows that D?
    Almost as good as Oaklands...

__________________________________________________ _______________

To which, my reply:

Reply to Hey you in the bushes....Do yourself a favor. Go to your search line put in 2009 nfl offensive line rankings and look up each and every site that comes up. Every one of them has Denver's OLine listed in the top 2. Get your facts straight before opening your mouth.

I love tearing a guy's reply up with fact.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

He's angered me for months now.. But we need him. We really do.

WRs aren't nearly as critical to team success as people seem to think. Having Marshall would be great and would benefit the Broncos, but it isn't critical.

If they can get fair value and he doesn't want to be here...dish him. If he is willing to accept an incentive and behavior restrictive contract...sign him. Don't sell the farm to keep though.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    WRs aren't nearly as critical to team success as people seem to think. Having Marshall would be great and would benefit the Broncos, but it isn't critical.

If they can get fair value and he doesn't want to be here...dish him. If he is willing to accept an incentive and behavior restrictive contract...sign him. Don't sell the farm to keep though.
    Nor is a good QB, or a pass rush...
    jus because the patriots won onc eupon a time without household named wr's doesn't make it less important..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

No player is going to sign a contract based purely on incentives... period. Its foolish to believe otherwise.

Teams have won SBs without elite QBs..... but its MUCh harder to. Teams have won SBs without strong defenses, and teams have won without top WR talent. But I know one thing... this offense has STUTTERED this preseason. You may be able to take ONE major talent out of an offense, but you start taking more than that and it starts to hinder us in a big way.

The Patriots won without a top receiver because they had elite talent at QB (as well as a HoF defensive mind). Our QB needs as much talent around him as he can get for our team to be successful.
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 09-10-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Sorry, I gave at the office.

so ... did Denver start talks again or not??

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    we need to be honest and just admit that this team needs Marshall. It does.
    Well........the way I see it...........

This team wins 4 or 5 games with Marshall..............or this team wins 4 or 5 games without Marshall.......

so why do we NEED the guy???........and all the baggage???
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived broncophan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by sanluis View Post
    so ... did Denver start talks again or not??
    They did. This article was just basically saying that stuff happened yesterday and then opinions on it. No new news that I see.
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by broncophan View Post

This team wins 4 or 5 games with Marshall..............or this team wins 4 or 5 games without Marshall.......

you have good points on this year.

But seriously. Teams all over the NFL do their damnest to find elite talent. Took us TEN years to find WRs and QBs. We no longer have the QB and I would hate for us to then have to start filling in MORE holes as we watch our stud players go.

Its not like we know if McDaniels can fill in at WR.... the patriots were/are as bad at drafting WRs as we are. Shanahan proved the last few years (well, we did have the goodmans at that time) to fill those holes. Right now we have BIG holes to fill at the DL, LB, safety....and QB. How many holes can we afford to keep making ourselves?? Lets patch up and keep the holes filled that we have filled and then ADD to the repair rather than add to the damage.

18. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

I see what you're saying...

But are we more or less potent as an offense with Marshall on the field? It's hard to pick out which games specifically a WR will help us win, but that doesn't mean they don't help us win.

He makes our offense better. We need a good offense to win.

I personally would like us to at least try to win. If we only win 4 games, so be it... but I'm not going to say, to hell with any talent we may have... we're not going to win much anyway....

I remember the last time we decided to just develop talent and let it go... thinking that we could just replace it easily... it was our Defensive line. How's that working for us now?
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

20. The Following User High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    you have good points on this year.

But seriously. Teams all over the NFL do their damnest to find elite talent. Took us TEN years to find WRs and QBs. We no longer have the QB and I would hate for us to then have to start filling in MORE holes as we watch our stud players go.

Its not like we know if McDaniels can fill in at WR.... the patriots were/are as bad at drafting WRs as we are. Shanahan proved the last few years (well, we did have the goodmans at that time) to fill those holes. Right now we have BIG holes to fill at the DL, LB, safety....and QB. How many holes can we afford to keep making ourselves?? Lets patch up and keep the holes filled that we have filled and then ADD to the repair rather than add to the damage.
    I understand what you are saying.........but Marshall has done his best to "add to the damage" himself.......
    sure his talent would be nice to have around..but his fiasco at practice proved ,to me anyway,....we don't NEED him........and any future draft picks at wide receiver sure don't need to spend any time with the guy....
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

I understand what you are saying.........but Marshall has done his best to "add to the damage" himself.......
    sure his talent would be nice to have around..but his fiasco at practice proved ,to me anyway,....we don't NEED him........and any future draft picks at wide receiver sure don't need to spend any time with the guy....
    We keep him and Royal around, and all we'll be drafting for is KR/PR at WR... maybe some #3s.... but there's always Gaffneys and Stokelys too...
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    I see what you're saying...

But are we more or less potent as an offense with Marshall on the field? It's hard to pick out which games specifically a WR will help us win, but that doesn't mean they don't help us win.

He makes our offense better. We need a good offense to win.

I personally would like us to at least try to win. If we only win 4 games, so be it... but I'm not going to say, to hell with any talent we may have... we're not going to win much anyway....

I remember the last time we decided to just develop talent and let it go... thinking that we could just replace it easily... it was our Defensive line. How's that working for us now?
    Yea.......I am sure the team will try......
    I hope I am wrong.....obviously......I just don't think having Marshall will get us a whole lot more more wins.....than without him....at least for this season.

What happened to the days where we had talent.....and absolutely no head cases.......and almost no off the field issues....is what I would like to know...
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived broncophan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information