Thread: Offensive line rankings (Broncos ranking)

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Thumbs up Offensive line rankings (Broncos ranking)

Source: Yahoo! Sports
    Offensive line rankings
    By Mike Gilbert, RotoExperts.com
    Aug 25, 2:20 pm EDT

It’s time to give credit where it’s due: the big guys in the trenches are the unsung heroes (and villains) of fantasy football. Offensive line play has turned Chris Johnson from a guy draftniks thought was overrated into a star, and Steven Jackson from a 1,600-yard rusher into an unreliable fantasy option. You can argue about who is more talented than whom, but I guarantee you that if Jackson was rushing behind Tennessee’s stellar O-line, he would be watching far fewer games from the sideline.

Obviously, there are exceptions to the general rule that good lines make good RBs – Matt Forte(notes) is an example – but more often than not the common wisdom holds true. You as a fantasy football owner need to know which lines will help certain players and which will hurt. While this doesn’t necessarily override the talent of a player or his value in your league’s specific format, it can be a fine line between making your playoffs and doing something else with your December Sundays.

Use this information to make the tough calls when drafting players. For example, if you’re on the fence between Derrick Ward(notes) and Marshawn Lynch(notes), knowing that the Buccaneers are excellent at rush blocking while the Bills are poor makes the choice a lot easier.

Please note: where I mention depth as a concern, it’s a MAJOR concern.

1. Denver Broncos
    Rush Blocking: Excellent
    Pass Blocking: Excellent
    This is the line to which all others are compared. There may be teams that rush block or pass block slightly better, but no other unit does both with such skill. It allowed the fewest sacks (12) and the team rushed for 4.8 yards per carry (YPC), just slightly behind the league-leading Giants. Knowshon Moreno(notes) is a one-cut RB that can excel playing behind these masters of the zone-blocking scheme. If QB Kyle Orton(notes) fails as Jay Cutler’s(notes) replacement, it will be on him, as the running game will hum and the protection will be there.

(continues here)
    Sorry if this was posted. Articles a little old.

While it's not something we didn't already know it's nice that the Broncos get credit elsewhere for the stellar offensive line they've assembled. Our quarterback last year may have made our line look better than it is as I expect Orton to get sacked much more than Cutler.

It's great knowing that Moreno will be running behind one the best, if not the best lines in football. I think he'll do wonders, ROTY perhaps? I'm real curious to see what McDaniels will do with our offensive line. I recall him saying they'll implement other run blocking schemes besides ZBS such as pulling gaurds, etc. He called it the 'bread and butter' of the Pats offense.
    In Elway We Trust

2. The Following 10 Users High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Thank you CrazyHorse.

4. The Following User High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

If QB Kyle Orton(notes) fails as Jay Cutler’s(notes) replacement, it will be on him, as the running game will hum and the protection will be there.
    I agree with that. He's got receivers, especially if Marshall plays. He SHOULD have plenty of protection. There has ALWAYS been a running game here through the Shanahan era (at the very least between the 20s) so the pieces and most of the scheme should carry over since we kept those coaches, and we added a damn fine RB in the draft as well some decent ones in FA to pair with the masher that is Hillis.

And that line should be great, even with Hamilton and Wiegmann aging. Kuper's injury concerns me, especially since we cut Lichtensteiger who knew the system better than our other backup guards (tho apparently he couldn't execute it the way we wanted). But if Kuper can manage we should still have a top-tier line for both facets of our offensive game.

Which means yeah, If Orton screws up the offense, it's on him.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

6. The Following 6 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

The runing game isn't exactly humming, maybe McDaniels just needs to swallow his pride and leave the ZBS alone until the line has some more time to get in sync, but the running game is not a sure thing at this point.......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris "goldenrod" Simms

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    The runing game isn't exactly humming, maybe McDaniels just needs to swallow his pride and leave the ZBS alone until the line has some more time to get in sync, but the running game is not a sure thing at this point.......
    Our running game is the very least of my concerns this year. Our Oline will open holes and protect Orton/Simms IMO that is the only given this season.
    TEBOW Bringing back the hb pass since 2012

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Default That might be a bit premature, imo.......

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    I agree with that. He's got receivers, especially if Marshall plays. He SHOULD have plenty of protection. There has ALWAYS been a running game here through the Shanahan era (at the very least between the 20s) so the pieces and most of the scheme should carry over since we kept those coaches, and we added a damn fine RB in the draft as well some decent ones in FA to pair with the masher that is Hillis.

And that line should be great, even with Hamilton and Wiegmann aging. Kuper's injury concerns me, especially since we cut Lichtensteiger who knew the system better than our other backup guards (tho apparently he couldn't execute it the way we wanted). But if Kuper can manage we should still have a top-tier line for both facets of our offensive game.

Which means yeah, If Orton screws up the offense, it's on him.

~G

If the offense regresses noticably, it's on the guy that brought Kyle Orton in imo, Orton has always had obvious limitations and fans/coaches/analysts shouldn't expect him to be something he's not/has never been.

Besides that, I'm not sure you can expect the line to be as good as was a year ago, with all the things that go into the success they had it's hard to duplicate, especially with new QB's/RB's/system. Also, has the ZBS taken a back seat? I can see the OL sliding back to the pack a little bit.

I could see the WR's struggling a bit with the most complex scheme ever devised as well, especially early on, they were not the most consistent last year to begin with (speaking of Marshall/Royal) and Stokley is an injury waiting to happen.

Injuries are another thing, I think we all have our doubts about the training staff, but injuries hit every team regardless. How will Moreno hold?

Idk, in some ways (Not all, Cutler haters!) last years offense was better than NE's, more yards/better in RedZone for example, and a lot can happen so if the offense regresses I'd have a hard time pinning it all on the QB.......
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 09-11-2009 at 12:14 AM.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

If the offense regresses noticably, it's on the guy that brought Kyle Orton in imo, Orton has always had obvious limitations and fans/coaches/analysts shouldn't expect him to be something he's not/never been.

Besides that, I'm not sure you can expect the line to be as good as was a year ago, with all the things that go into the success they had it's hard to duplicate, especially with new QB's/RB's/system. Also, has the ZBS taken a back seat? I can see the OL sliding back to the pack a little bit.

I could see the WR's struggling a bit with the most complex scheme ever devised as well, especially early on, they were not the most consistent last year to begin with (speaking of Marshall/Royal) and Stokley is an injury waiting to happen.

Injuries are another thing, I think we all have our doubts about the training staff, but injuries hit every team regardless. How will Moreno hold?

Idk, in some ways (Not all, Cutler haters!) last years offense was better than NE's, more yards/better in RedZone for example, and a lot can happen so if the offense regresses I'd have a hard time pinning it all on the QB.......
    If production isnt there, its up to JMCD to fix it stat. Mask it with bootlegs, or whatever.

I dont care what anyone says, I dont want a losing record.

12. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

The production will be there.

My only concern is how much zone blocking will we be doing.

If it aint broke.......dont fix it.

Im all for doing both styles of run blocking, dont get me wrong. I think that makes us an even more unpredictable offensive line.

But dont stray too far from what we do best.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sorry, I gave at the office.

Default The strength of your team

You guys have a great o-line IMO. With some better play calling that does more to control the time of possession you guys will be much better than people think. ( damn it )

Injuries to the line would be devastating as I don't see a lot of depth. But that is true in most cases.

16. The Following User High Fived sanluis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Crap, it's not Monday already is it...I didn't think I'd slept through the game...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

18. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information